% of Diesels with major problems?

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
The BFG regional rep guy who runs local shop here in Salt Lake City told me he thought getting back to factory gear ratios should bring my fuel economy back up a bit. I don’t feel a lack of power or torque at all really. But he said it’s kind of like towing a trailer around all the time pushing this big of tire. It makes the load on the engine significantly more, and changing the gearing will ease the load on the engine. I’m no expert. What are your thoughts?
I think it depends what you're after. If you are after MPG then gearing might make sense but I'd imagine it would take you a long time to get your money back by increasing the MPG a few digits unless you drive a ridiculous amount of miles each year and then I'd question why you have 39s in the first place. You might just be better off investing in a 2nd set of wheels/tires that are lighter and more road appropriate for daily driving. I bet you'd get a few MPGs that way and your trail tires would last longer.

My concerns are less about power/torque and more with axle shafts and ball joints with bigger tires.
Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
The BFG regional rep guy who runs local shop here in Salt Lake City told me he thought getting back to factory gear ratios should bring my fuel economy back up a bit. I don’t feel a lack of power or torque at all really. But he said it’s kind of like towing a trailer around all the time pushing this big of tire. It makes the load on the engine significantly more, and changing the gearing will ease the load on the engine. I’m no expert. What are your thoughts?
It honestly depends on your most prevalent speeds and whether the transmission is running in the higher RPMs of a lower gear at those speeds. If a regear gets it running at lower rpm in a higher transmission gear, you may save some fuel or break even. My rig runs at low rpm in 8th on 37s but you’re obviously running a significantly bigger tire where it’ll be less apt to touch 8th until higher speeds if at all.

StealthJLUR

First Name
Gannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I think it depends what you're after. If you are after MPG then gearing might make sense but I'd imagine it would take you a long time to get your money back by increasing the MPG a few digits unless you drive a ridiculous amount of miles each year and then I'd question why you have 39s in the first place. You might just be better off investing in a 2nd set of wheels/tires that are lighter and more road appropriate for daily driving. I bet you'd get a few MPGs that way and your trail tires would last longer.

My concerns are less about power/torque and more with axle shafts and ball joints with bigger tires.
I drive on the freeway enough that I’d love to have a little better economy. I wanted bigger tires because of the off road capability, and let’s be real... they look badass.

Jeep Wrangler JL % of Diesels with major problems? 46B10C0D-C0A6-42F7-94AC-2819AA7C7241

StealthJLUR

First Name
Gannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It honestly depends on your most prevalent speeds and whether the transmission is running in the higher RPMs of a lower gear at those speeds. If a regear gets it running at lower rpm in a higher transmission gear, you may save some fuel or break even. My rig runs at low rpm in 8th on 37s but you’re obviously running a significantly bigger tire where it’ll be less apt to touch 8th until higher speeds if at all.
Definitely doesn’t use 8th gear much unless I’m on the freeway. But even then, seems like fuel economy could be better at 75-80 than it is.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Definitely doesn’t use 8th gear much unless I’m on the freeway. But even then, seems like fuel economy could be better at 75-80 than it is.
At 75-80, gearing will make less of an impact than even dropping 2mph. Jeep’s 4 degree decrease of the windshield angle didn’t drastically alter the fact that it’s an aerodynamic brick on wheels with your rolling resistance only adding to that problem. You’ll still do better than the single digit mpg the 3.6 boys get rolling 39s at 75-80mph, but even 30% better than 8mpg is just over 10mpg.

Sponsored

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Welp, the newly renamed "Lemonade" is back in the shop. 4th time in just over a year. a month and a half ago the EGR went out. today I almost got rearended by a big truck on the highway. I was going 75 on cruise (Texas speed limit) and out of nowhere with no warning, the engine completely lost all power and the engine light came on with the lightning bolt. that damn thing went from 75 to 45 in a matter of seconds. not slow enough for the big truck behind me to have to hit the shoulder to not hit me. I threw my hazards on and he let me move to the shoulder and he went around. Complete turbo failure according to the dealer.

so...to date, Def Pump failure, fuse box connector and fuse reseat issue, EGR failure. Radio Failure, and now the turbo! I am working with Jeep for the lemon law here in texas. I do not want to get rid of the jeep, but I cannot trust it! I might take a 2021or2022 if there were changes addressed from the launch edition. We will see. But I cannot keep this rig anymore! UGHHHHHhhhh! so much time and $$$ invested already! I will obviously need to go back to stock, but lucky for me I have 3 other wranglers I can put this stuff on.
Jeep Wrangler JL % of Diesels with major problems? Resized_20210916_153925 (2)

henry

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Firecracker Red
24,000 miles on my 21 Rubicon, zero issues. Runs fantastic. Also have a Duramax with 77,000 and never an issue. Our New Holland TC30 has 900 hours and runs perfectly.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
24,000 miles on my 21 Rubicon, zero issues. Runs fantastic. Also have a Duramax with 77,000 and never an issue. Our New Holland TC30 has 900 hours and runs perfectly.
So far 29,000 miles and zero issues. To me the ability to crawl over obstacles and still get 24 mpg is beyond words.

99ls1tj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK 2019 Ram 2500
. I have been using the DEF from home depot for close to 19 years and have no problems.
I thought DEF had only been around for 10 years or so max. I. I had a 2011 WK with the Mercedes diesel and it didn’t use DEF. My 2014 Ram 2500 didn’t use it either.

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
See my post. 10 months of ownership 5 months at the shop for an oil leak. Parts hard to come by, techs dont like working on it. Had the oil filter housing and left timing chain cover replaced and still leaking oil. You pay a premium for this engine option and this is what you get. I dont mind a leak I know diesels leak but not at 6k miles and after paying nearly 70K for it.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
mine ate its High Pressure Fuel Pump @ 4100 miles, but from what i've learned since then, that's not an uncommon issue with the Bosch CP4 pumps. (yes, J**p footed the whole bill for repairs but we did wait for 2.5 months for a replacement Fuel Pump/Gauge module.)

other than that, it's awesome on both paved and unpaved roads, and getting 20+ MPG spinning 35s and lifted a few inches further into the wind is wonderful.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
absolutely not; it's a non-issue.
For me in the winter I can smell the difference when the DEF is being injected more heavily. Might take a specific scenario (no wind) for me to smell it while crawling, but if it's sitting idling you can easily smell the exhaust. But really only with the DEF injection. I have missed (not noticed) many many regens in the Jeep.

In my F-350 it's about impossible to miss them. Stinks like hell. Conversely the extra DEF I assume it's guzzling due to the winter temps, barely registers with my nose. So pretty much completely inverse.

I thought regens that smelled were the worst, however this 3.0L changed my mind. I love the Jeep, but I'd much rather smell a regen every so often rather than the DEF smell whenever it's idling.

YMMV

silvrhand

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Diesel
10500 miles, check engine light came on for DEF code, took it to dealer, they had a flash back for it and it's been pretty much rock solid.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
2020 Ram EcoDiesel, 5000 miles leaking oil from the timing cover.

2021 Jeep EcoDiesel, 5000 miles leaking oil from the timing cover.

I get the idea that a large percentage of these drip oil off the pan bolts.

The difference with the Jeep is the engine is shoe-horned into the engine bay and no technicians like working on it, including trained diesel techs. Took me five weeks to get an appointment for it, another week for diagnosis. They say it'll be a tough fix, and who knows how long it'll take. To make matters worse there are lots of owners out there saying theirs was fixed and then leaked oil in the garage floor again within a month. I had a case manager involved and they did act helpful, but I NEED a truck and the loaner vehicle they had me in wasn't cutting it.

I became so frustrated with the entire thing that I decided to sell the Jeep to the dealership. $3,500 more than I owed on it after 6 months and 11,000 miles of fun with it. I bought a Toyota truck and drove it home same day.

I love Jeeps and my JT was a sweet ride. But the fact that VM still can't build an engine that doesn't mark it's territory ticks me off. The $45 oil filter, $40 fuel filter, DEF, etc was easy to walk away from after the fiasco began. Sigh....
Sponsored