Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel
Hi Guys,

Looking at JLURs. Primary intent is moderate trails/rock crawling the likes of Moab. Not much street driving.

Torn between the diesel and the 3.6. I've driven several 3.6 JLs in the rocks and really pleased with the torque (compared to our original 2008 JK). No experience with the 3.0.

I've driven three Duramax trucks over the last 10 years with only one DEF tank problem.

Just not sure it's worth the ~$3,000 difference (plus the additional maintenance costs).

Anyone with experience in the rocks with both the 3.6 and 3.0? Was the 3.0 worth the price of admission?

Final build will be a 3-1/2" lift and 37s. (Even the stock gearing with the 3.6 and 8-speed auto with 37s worked well on the rentals we have driving. Not sure I'd even consider re-gearing to 4.56.)

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer.

Jeff
Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Hi Guys,

Looking at JLURs. Primary intent is moderate trails/rock crawling the likes of Moab. Not much street driving.

Torn between the diesel and the 3.6. I've driven several 3.6 JLs in the rocks and really pleased with the torque (compared to our original 2008 JK). No experience with the 3.0.

I've driven three Duramax trucks over the last 10 years with only one DEF tank problem.

Just not sure it's worth the ~$3,000 difference (plus the additional maintenance costs).

Anyone with experience in the rocks with both the 3.6 and 3.0? Was the 3.0 worth the price of admission?

Final build will be a 3-1/2" lift and 37s. (Even the stock gearing with the 3.6 and 8-speed auto with 37s worked well on the rentals we have driving. Not sure I'd even consider re-gearing to 4.56.)

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer.

Jeff
I wheeled and daily drove a 2018 JLUR 3.6/6MT for about 10,000 miles before trading for my 3.0. The 3.6 was a bit of a dog on 35s compared to the 3.0 on both 35s and 37s. I got 16mpg with the 3.6 on 35s and now get 22mpg with the 3.0 on 35s(winter)/37s(summer). Wheeling is night and day different. Many pieces of trail that were 4L territory in the 3.6 are 4H in the 3.0. It doesn’t hurt that the ZF 8HP75 is the gold standard in automatic transmissions and pairs so well with the 3.0 for both on and off road use. Either way, as much as I prefer rowing my own gears, given the choice between a 3.6 and 3.0, my last 17,000 miles with the 3.0 has only served to solidify my opinion that the 3.0 has no peer for my use case.

Last edited:

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD,

I wheel

I wheeled and daily drove a 2018 JLUR 3.6/6MT for about 10,000 miles before trading for my 3.0. The 3.6 was a bit of a dog on 35s compared to the 3.0 on both 35s and 37s. I got 16mpg with the 3.6 on 35s and now get 22mpg with the 3.0 on 35s(winter)/37s(summer). Wheeling is night and day different. Many pieces of trail that were 4L territory in the 3.6 are 4H in the 3.0. It doesn’t hurt that the ZF 8HP75 is the gold standard in automatic transmissions and pairs so well with the 3.0 for both on and off road use. Either way, as much as I prefer rowing my own gears, given the choice between a 3.6 and 3.0, my last 17,000 miles with the 3.0 has only served to solidify my opinion that the 3.0 has no peer for my use case.
Thanks for the input. I appreciate all the detail. Definitely more information than I had before.

Jeff

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
Being this close to having the price of the 392 I would have to hold out and at least see how much the 392 is.

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EbyCreek,

Being this close to having the price of the 392 I would have to hold out and at least see how much the 392 is.
I don't recall where I saw it; but, the walk-around of the 392 showed the tuned exhaust in the rear of the JL. To me it looked a lot lower than even the 3.6 exhaust pipe (that seems to be a target for rocks and bad approach angles). I'd really be concerned wheeling it in the rocks. Maybe that's just me, though.

Jeff

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
The 392 price has been identified in other threads...it’s about $75k. The only reason to get a 3.0 over a 392 if the price doesn’t matter to a prospective buyer is fuel range, which will be in the mid 200s of miles for the 392, while over 400 in the 3.0.

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Everyone,

A couple of other questions regarding the diesel.

1. This JL won't be a daily driver. There may be times where it will sit for a month or so without being driven. Is this kind of lack of activity more of a problem with the diesel motor?

2. Curious about wheeling the diesel in the heat. Any reason why it would be better or worse for controlling the cooling in 100 degree F temperatures?

3. I read something the other day that the diesel is fairly loud under power/acceleration. Big distraction, or not. (I am used to a '71 Bronco with loud 302, so not sure the diesel would be in the same zip code.)

Thanks,

Jeff

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Hey Everyone,

1. This JL won't be a daily driver. There may be times where it will sit for a month or so without being driven. Is this kind of lack of activity more of a problem with the diesel motor?

2. Curious about wheeling the diesel in the heat. Any reason why it would be better or worse for controlling the cooling in 100 degree F temperatures?

3. I read something the other day that the diesel is fairly loud under power/acceleration. Big distraction, or not. (I am used to a '71 Bronco with loud 302, so not sure the diesel would be in the same zip code.)

Thanks,

Jeff
From my experience I will chime in.
1. Diesels like to be used. At the very least keep your battery on a trickle charger. I highly recommend you drive it regularly.
2. I have driven my jeep in the desert and desert heat. I have experienced no problems with the diesel.
3. The diesel is NOT loud. My F-350 1 ton is way louder than the jeep. Again no issues.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Hey Everyone,

Thanks,

Jeff
I have found inside the JL, 3.0L is quieter than the 3.6L. And while driving on a highway, since the RPMs are also lower on the diesel, the only sound that is dominant is the wind noise.

Sponsored

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I would be more concerned about a gasoline vehicle sitting for extended periods vs diesel (w/ fuel treatment)
Otherwise agree with above points -
I agree.

I also believe in the use of battery maintainers as others have mentioned. DEF does has a shelf life from what I’ve read. For that reason, on an Ecodiesel RAM that doesn’t get used that often, I do not fill the DEF tank. When it gets low I add only one jug at a time.

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the opinions.

There sure don't seem to be many downsides to the diesel (other than cost).

Any additional opinions are welcome, too.

Jeff

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
DEF does has a shelf life from what I’ve read. For that reason, on an Ecodiesel RAM that doesn’t get used that often, I do not fill the DEF tank. When it gets low I add only one jug at a time.
It not only has an expiration code, if the military had it during WWII, they wouldn't have needed the Navajo language for secrecy - the DEF's expiration code is much more cryptic.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just saying....I bought mine because the Apocalypse is coming and my diesel will run on cat piss vs a gas motor. But seriously, the biggest issue with the 3.0 seems to be fuse related which most members here have addressed on their own. I now have a little over 10k miles on mine and compared to my JK and my wife's Gladiator I would not go back to gas! I do wish they would have used 4.10's in the gearing though, but that is my only complaint.
Sponsored

Last edited: