First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Does anyone have a fairly accurate percentage of Diesels that are having big engine issues?

I am 6-12 months out from ordering and undecided between the Diesel and PHEV. Both have great upsides, just trying to find our reliability. PHEV information will obviously be yet to come.

Thank you all.
Sponsored

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
Does anyone have a fairly accurate percentage of Diesels that are having big engine issues?

I am 6-12 months out from ordering and undecided between the Diesel and PHEV. Both have great upsides, just trying to find our reliability. PHEV information will obviously be yet to come.

Thank you all.
You don't really specify what "big engine issues" are so this is hard to answer. I will tell you I am not aware of any manor issues with any of the Diesels at this point...others might have a different feeling, but without know what the definition of "big engine issues" means to you it is very subjective.

crazy90'skid

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Silverado RCSB, 2020 JLUR
it's too new of an engine, this 3rd gen diesel just came out in late 2019 and until we start seeing some hit serious mileage we won't see the actual reliability of it. You have to keep in mind FCA doesn't build engines to fix all of them on warranty work so most should have no issues until that warranty is over, otherwise they wouldn't make a dime off of them. So if you are waiting for engine reliability you need to wait 100k miles and 4 years at the least. If you are worried that much about it either wait or buy another option. Otherwise buy one and find out yourself whether it's worth keeping past the warranty.

Ruri

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD, Gen 2 Raptor, 997.1 Turbo, F90 Competition
Occupation
Not FDIC
6,000 miles since March 2020 and no engine problems here (knock on wood). So far much better than my 2017 Crapoor. Those ecoboost engines are POS.

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
You don't really specify what "big engine issues" are so this is hard to answer. I will tell you I am not aware of any manor issues with any of the Diesels at this point...others might have a different feeling, but without know what the definition of "big engine issues" means to you it is very subjective.
I have a 2020JLUR diesel currently with 9000 mikes on the clock. I wrote several posts about my trip to Moab with it and the issue I have down there with my turbo that took a squat. I think I had 5K on the clock when this happened. Some of the guys on this forum did a bit if research and said that I appeared to be the only one with a bad turbo so far. I had to leave the Jeep in Utah for 20 days while they removed the whole body to replace that little turbo. I go no response when I followed up as to what the real problem with it was. Other than that- I have been wheeling, overlanding and towing a 1700 pound trailer around with no problems and pretty good mileage (18-25 MPG) and am running 35’s on stock rims.

Sponsored

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Lets put it this way, this engine should have no problem breaking the 500K miles mark.. but some "mods" may be required for it to do that.. If you want to keep it stock, 120K is where i think this diesel will start to show problem.. not with the engine but more like the auxiliary systems that it has (emission related).

So for me, i will keep mine until 100K and then search for the available options at the time.. If i find a good solution then ill keep it forever!

Those were my .02 cents by the way.. i am not a mechanic and i only have 5K on mine so far. However 0 problems so far and its a blast to drive! Lots of torque!

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I have had no issues with my 3.0L Wrangler. I am approaching 3,000 miles. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next 97,000 miles.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
If you mean problems like spun bearings, engine fires, timing disasters (lol where is wxman’oh noze teh tapered/pressed timing gears!) I have not read a single account. Honestly, I am surprised how few emissions-related problems have come up, given how complicated the system is. Usually problems are electrical in nature & many could happen to gas or diesel Jeep. Hm that might apply to the hybrid eh? J/K I hope it does well - when you are able to drive the new hybrid, maybe it will clear things up = I know that big tax break would be nice.

Howardlv22

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU EcoDiesel
I have 46 miles on mine and no issues so far:LOL::CWL: but real talk, I used to sell jeeps s couple years ago and when I talk to my mopar tech buddies they say this 3rd gen diesel seems awesome so far. and if I were you ecodiesel is the way to go all around

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
100%

Those diesel owners just don't know it yet! 3rd generation garbage. I can't believe they all think the torque is worth it. Their oil changes will cost a fortune and to boot these diesels are terrible for the environment. Anyone who tells you they aren't having problems is lying to you and themselves!

If you're looking at the PHEV don't walk away from the diesel run! How do I know all this?

giphy.gif

Dieselfumes57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
thrilled With my 21 ruby diesel. Wouldn’t have it any other way. it pulls strong for a jeep. I’ve drove diesel trucks for 20 years and this little 3.0 has impressed me. Already have a shelf full of t6 I’ll throw in when the time comes and change my own fuel filters too. At 100k I’ll delete it.

Howardlv22

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU EcoDiesel
100%

Those diesel owners just don't know it yet! 3rd generation garbage. I can't believe they all think the torque is worth it. Their oil changes will cost a fortune and to boot these diesels are terrible for the environment. Anyone who tells you they aren't having problems is lying to you and themselves!

If you're looking at the PHEV don't walk away from the diesel run! How do I know all this?

Jeep Wrangler JL % of Diesels with major problems? giphy
I love ruining the environment. And especially wasting money on diesels, I just have so much I’ve got to spend it on something. I especially love posting opinion about how bad the eco diesels are without any knowledge it’s also my favorite.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
I love ruining the environment. And especially wasting money on diesels, I just have so much I’ve got to spend it on something. I especially love posting opinion about how bad the eco diesels are without any knowledge it’s also my favorite.
Me too! I had 3 dirty diesels and now I am down to 2. Have a Mercedes diesel and my eco diesel. Love those that some how thing electric vehicles are so clean and they really aren't. A lot use coal burning electric plants for charging and the other is have you ever seen what they have to do with the "toxic waste" the batteries create. Good for the environment my a$$. Nothing is perfect! They all have issues...wait until they have to replace the batteries...they aren't cheap either!

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Oooh I wanna play! Lessee how many diesels y’all got-
Me=
2 Qty Kubota ZD zero turn mowers
Ford 1710 tractor
Massey 135 tractor
Bobcat 853 w/ Isuzu diesel
F250 Powerstroke 2001
Suzuki Samurai w/ VW 1.9L diesel
Jeep Scrambler w/ 3.9L Cummins
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.0L Ecodiesel
Doing my part to put those particulates out there!
Sponsored