Den_JL2DR

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SportS 2DR 6 Cyl Hardtop
Bday present, five Cooper Discoverer AT3 S4 tires, up 1/2" diameter to 32's
New '20 Sport w/ 24S package, auto, no-lift, first Jeep.

For only vehicle, daily driver, mostly surface road, for snow trips and mountain park road
scenic and camping options.

Sought good on-road reviewed tire, snow rated and with short trips, good MPG's.
Looked at Continental TerrainContact and Yokohama Geolandar G015 for low weight tires,
liked Cooper's in person.

Will share impressions and MPG later. Shop set psi, emailed Cooper engineers to confirm,
and perhaps a Christmas programmer to reset speedometer, small change especially off freeway.

Lift's a little, setting a clamp against brace last night to compare.

OEM: Bridgestone Dueler H/T 245/75R17 113T (SL) All-season
Diameter: 31.5"
Tread 10/32"
44 max psi
Weight 32 lbs

New: Cooper Discoverer AT3 S4 255/75R17 115T (SL) All-terrain
Diameter: 31.97"
Tread 14/32"
44 max psi
Weight 39 lbs
65,000 mile warranty

New_tires_2.jpg

New_tires_3.jpg

New_tires_5.jpg

255_lift.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP
OP
Den_JL2DR

Den_JL2DR

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Happy Birthday Den, nice upgrade, should work well on your new stock setup. Might check the Arizona section or the general classifieds for a Rubicon takeoff suspension, it's a great option for a bit of lift, keep the parts OEM and retain good road manners.

Here's my install thread on that if you're interested. Nice looking JL btw :)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/
Thanks Brad! Great idea and writeup btw; been thinking, inevitable, a small lift for visual balance..

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Happy Birthday Dan! A good set of aftermarket tires are always a smart investment, especially ones slightly taller. The Cooper's are very well made and should do well for the type of conditions you are running.

Since you've done your first mod, you might want to watch your bank account. The proceeding mods are going to come faster and faster!

It's a Jeep thing.......so embrace it and enjoy the ride!

OP
OP
Den_JL2DR

Den_JL2DR

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Happy Birthday Dan! A good set of aftermarket tires are always a smart investment, especially ones slightly taller. The Cooper's are very well made and should do well for the type of conditions you are running.

Since you've done your first mod, you might want to watch your bank account. The proceeding mods are going to come faster and faster!

It's a Jeep thing.......so embrace it and enjoy the ride!
Thanks Guy! No doubt, did that with bikes, grew up with that family boats, almost did that with planes, restoration crew that for locomotives; all about freedom and expression... headliners and kc lights and custom cargo lighting in the works..

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
That is the worst thing about Jeeps (and also the one of the best things), the sky's the limit in what you can do to them, as long as your credit limit also reaches the stratosphere :)
Enjoy the journey!

OP
OP
Den_JL2DR

Den_JL2DR

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two days later, really liking tire upgrade.

Two most surprising differences was how low speed braking is sharper, stepping on the brake at lights coming from OEM tires,
the Jeep bites into the road faster. Alleviated concerns of braking vs street tires. Have not done a hard stop
nor have that with OEM to compare.

Turning a sharp 180 from stop, the new tires are quiet compared to OEM's gravelly sound, consistently. U from favorite coffee shop.

New tires running 40 psi. OEM were 41 psi. Cooper did not have any advice except check door sticker that says 36 psi.

At 45 mph, with windows up and radio off, hear the slightest low "hollow log" tire road sound in the back, barely, and a good truck sound, not loud at all, nor heard easily.

Can feel the thicker tires insulating bumps to a degree, like difference in wearing flat leather bottom shoes walking over a bump vs
padded boots, insulated in low frequency ways, and yet also noted feeling smaller rocks more articulately vs the OEM's, going over small rock in the road, more communicated to wheel, and yet turning low speed over speed bumps, same up and downs with shocks, but with a muted padded feeling with new tires.

Mileage, hard to say, so far so good there; see how this goes over longer time for average.

All in all very happy with these tires.

Had same spot outside shop today to post a before and after, yes, thicker 31" black antenna since then.

Before.jpg
After.jpg

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
@Den_JL2DR hey hows the cooper discoverer at3 4s holding up? Ride still the same as well as the threading and breaking etc. Bunch of friends have them , due to the fact i do more highway than off road. Let me know thank you. Want to go from oem 255/70r18 to 265/70r18 or 33/11r18

OP
OP
Den_JL2DR

Den_JL2DR

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Den_JL2DR hey hows the cooper discoverer at3 4s holding up? Ride still the same as well as the threading and breaking etc. Bunch of friends have them , due to the fact i do more highway than off road. Let me know thank you. Want to go from oem 255/70r18 to 265/70r18 or 33/11r18
Hi there, they are doing great, ride/sound the same, break-in didn't really notice, topped off air once recently with colder weather, mpg about the same with daily street drives. I've not gone off-road to date, thinking of a snow trip, but so far just daily driving which is street for me, not highway. On highway the sound is similar or nicer from vague memories of OEM and the 65,000 m warranty would expect to be helpful for highway driving. With all the models I poured over in data, I'm very happy with the purchase for a 2DR no-lift daily driver, and plan to replace with the same if still available, if that helps.

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
Hi there, they are doing great, ride/sound the same, break-in didn't really notice, topped off air once recently with colder weather, mpg about the same with daily street drives. I've not gone off-road to date, thinking of a snow trip, but so far just daily driving which is street for me, not highway. On highway the sound is similar or nicer from vague memories of OEM and the 65,000 m warranty would expect to be helpful for highway driving. With all the models I poured over in data, I'm very happy with the purchase for a 2DR no-lift daily driver, and plan to replace with the same if still available, if that helps.
Ok perfect thanks for the response. Did you flash the speedometer after or just left it with the 2% difference, and online cheapest i saw was 204 going to my buddys tire to see what he could price out. And yes same been looking through so many different tires and this tire with the look and quality; plus a friend of mine has it on his truck and loves it in snow so you know too.

1CE27E8E-3F83-4E4E-82D3-651897214E0B.jpeg

1C366BC9-B7D7-47AD-9B16-20805C392AEE.jpeg

F184C9A9-2D16-4E58-9C80-53BE3473AB08.jpeg

FDED23CD-9E52-4325-87F4-9B6408A0F5C3.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Den_JL2DR

Den_JL2DR

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the snow note. I left speedometer as is, not driving a lot of miles, but may be a Christmas gift to self.

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
Thanks for the snow note. I left speedometer as is, not driving a lot of miles, but may be a Christmas gift to self.
No problem we’re all here to help each other out.
My stock tires are 255/70r18 bridgestone dueler h/t 255/70r18 113t m+s

Going to cooper discoverer at3 4s 265/70r18

B903CC38-8597-402F-AF78-4BC967F207AE.png

362F53E0-0C15-4412-911C-F47F72313FC2.png
Sponsored