OEM tire question (Falken Wildpeak)

RJE2

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Hella Yella
It seems the new Rubicons now come with the Falken Wildpeak 285/70R17c Mud Terrain tires.
I really don't have much experience with these tires or off road tires in general. This will most likely not be my daily driver.
I usually do a mix of highway and around town. I plan to take this on the beaches of cape cod and Nantucket along with some off roading in NH. How do these tires compare to the previous OEM Rubicon tires which were I believe BFG KO2.
how are the Falken tires in the snow? how are the noise levels on the highway?

Wonder why the change and if I should request the dealer swap these with different tires?
Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Wildpeak MT01? Much better in muddy conditions and on the rocks, but not as good in snow or on the road compared to the Ko2s.

The falkens will be louder on the road, and also wear quicker.

Non DD, beach and off road, I would keep the wildpeaks on, unless you plan to size up.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Interesting, I didn't know. The Falken reviews I've seen in the mags have been favorable but they were "softball" reviews I'd say.

I generally feel BFG is overrated but I may have changed my mind this winter. My gf bought an '08 F150 with 315/70/17 BFG AT's and several times this winter it was the only truck of 5 that would make it up a steep, un-plowed north-facing "driveway" (that's being generous) at our animal refuge.

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
It seems the new Rubicons now come with the Falken Wildpeak 285/70R17c Mud Terrain tires.
I really don't have much experience with these tires or off road tires in general. This will most likely not be my daily driver.
I usually do a mix of highway and around town. I plan to take this on the beaches of cape cod and Nantucket along with some off roading in NH. How do these tires compare to the previous OEM Rubicon tires which were I believe BFG KO2.

Wonder why the change and if I should request the dealer swap these with different tires?
I bought those wildpeak tires for my sport S to upgrade from the stock tires and i LOVE them. If you look them up they get awesome reviews. Ive taken them mudding and no issues, they are VERY quiet on the highway and im currently getting just over 21 MPG combined with them on. If you are doing HEAVY offroading maybe go KO2's but honestly the Falkens are the best dual tires i think.

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Wildpeak MT01? Much better in muddy conditions and on the rocks, but not as good in snow or on the road compared to the Ko2s.

The falkens will be louder on the road, and also wear quicker.

Non DD, beach and off road, I would keep the wildpeaks on, unless you plan to size up.
I have the Falkens, they are super quiet. And they actually have a 55k warranty compared to 50K on KO2's.

Sponsored

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

I'm curious what beaches on Cape Cod and Nantucket allow Jeeps or any other off-road vehicles? Don't remember seeing any when we lived there 20 years ago. Don't know anything about Falken tires, but I do know that my BFG KO2's were great in the snow during this past winter from hell.

OP
OP
RJE2

RJE2

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I put a set of Falken Wildpeak ATs on my JL Sport soon after purchase. I researched these tires and found mostly positive information. They were reasonably priced and have the dedicated mountain snowflake symbol for winter use.
I’m happy with them so far.
Had KO 2’s on a Ram pickup in the past and was not that impressed with them.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Confused...Rubicon comes with Falken wildpeak ATs...or the MT01s now?

I have the Falkens, they are super quiet. And they actually have a 55k warranty compared to 50K on KO2's.
AT3s or MT01s?

rutiger

First Name
ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon, others
probably same as gladiator. default is at3w and option is m/t. that's what the gladiator config site shows.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RJE2

RJE2

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My window sticker mentions MT tires.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Confused...Rubicon comes with Falken wildpeak ATs...or the MT01s now?

AT3s or MT01s?
I just referenced the Falken ATs because that’s what I bought. I believe the OP said his Rubicon came with the mud tires. I chimed in because I had experience with the Falken brand though not their mud tires.

TEOTWAWKI Rubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 1955 Ford Thunderbird
I just got my ordered Rubicon one week ago and it came with the KO2s. Don't remember any other option.

Bud90

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 JKU
I just referenced the Falken ATs because that’s what I bought. I believe the OP said his Rubicon came with the mud tires. I chimed in because I had experience with the Falken brand though not their mud tires.
It’s a no cost option
Sponsored