OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements

Thereā€™sOnlyOne

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I really hope we can get other manufacturers interested in producing this as a real product. Competition is good.
AnnDee4444

Have you tested these brackets on the trails yet? If so how did things hold up? I have set ordered also. Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
AnnDee4444

Have you tested these brackets on the trails yet? If so how did things hold up? I have set ordered also. Thanks.
Sorry, haven't had the rear bumper come in contact with anything since I installed these.

This hasn't changed my driving style... I'm still trying to avoid contact with the rear bumper. It's more of insurance in case I do.

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Also grabbed a set. Figured $170 (w/ discount after tax) is cheap if it helps avoid body damage from a too-easily-bent bumper.

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon
Received a call yesterday from MetalCloak confirming my order and advising it would be shipped out in about a week.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Received a call yesterday from MetalCloak confirming my order and advising it would be shipped out in about a week.
They have pretty awesome customer service in that regard. An actual human calls, verifies everything, and gives you details. To me that was unexpected and appreciated.

Sponsored

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon
They have pretty awesome customer service in that regard. An actual human calls, verifies everything, and gives you details. To me that was unexpected and appreciated.
Yes I was a bit surprised but glad afterwards that they called.

Bhodi11

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
Anyone ever considered taking the bumper to a shop and having a 1/2ā€ or more shaved off the top inside lip. That would get the bumper more clearance from the tub and it would have to flex a lot to make contact. As it sits now itā€™s a 1/2ā€ or less gap.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Last edited:

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just installed my braces last night. To all others that ordered, make sure to check your package for the 4 spacers shown in the instructions. You have to download the instructions from the website as they are not in the box. Neither were the 4 spacers...and they are needed. I ended up using (3 ) 1/2" washers per stud instead and it worked out fine. If you don't have the spacers (or washers) the bracket won't line up right. For me, 2 washers wouldn't work and 4 was too many not leaving enough threads.

Also, @BDinTX , the RokBloxk mud flap bracket and flap fit just fine with the braces. Just need to install the plastic piece with the Christmas tree fasteners first, then install the bracket.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
As most are aware, the OEM steel bumper leaves much to be desired when it comes to strength. I am satisfied with the way the OEM bumper looks, and don't want to change to an aftermarket rear bumper. Please be aware that this is not the cheapest route, and that ultimate strength was not my final goal. I really don't want to discuss any opinions on why I should get rid of this bumper or the costs associated with doing this, but welcome any comments on how to improve my setup with the stock steel bumper.

The steel bumper itself is actually fairly strong, but it is how it is attached to the frame that allows for deflection. This deflection is known to push up into body, causing sheet metal and paint damage. The issue is most obvious at the corners, as the bumper can be moved by leaning on it with your bodyweight.

1. The first modification was Maximus-3's rear tow loops. The idea here was to scrape these before the bumper, and I can say that I have definitely dragged these across a few rocks. While they don't look exactly stock, they are close enough for me and would fool most non-jeep people. It's worth noting that these don't reduce the departure angle much more than the OEM hitch.

2. Part two is Adventure Rack Systems (ARS) by MetalCloak's rear brackets, which are produced for their Rocklander Rack System. This is not a kit that is available online yet and I had to call to get it ordered. Edit: This is now available as a kit here. These brackets are also not specifically made for protecting the body/bumper contact, but I've found that it's definitely a step in the right direction. I'm not sure how much load these can take, but ARS says the entire rack system can hold 350 pounds of dynamic load, or 800 pounds of static load (both which include the rack itself).

These brackets are much thicker than the OEM brackets they replace, and are a two piece design which ties the bumper mounting points together. The inner bracket operates in shear, and any movement will be from the short OEM "L" bracket attached to the frame. Installation instructions start on page 19.

PXL_20220323_010857699.MP.jpg

Note that this is the incorrect larger bracket shown below. ARS shipped the wrong one, but their awesome customer service got me the correct bracket above. The black bracket on the left side is what the rack would normally mount to and not used in my application.

Stock Bracket:

Not-so scientific results... check the fender gap before when jacking up the rear:

With the ARS brackets the bumper moved less than 1/8" on the same test. Note that only one side is installed in this photo, and I suspect it will get even less deflection when both sides are completed.
I much prefer the OEM look so will now have to order two sets of these brackets, one for my ā€˜19 JLR and one for my wifeā€™s ā€˜22 4xE.

Sponsored

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
Just installed my braces last night. To all others that ordered, make sure to check your package for the 4 spacers shown in the instructions. You have to download the instructions from the website as they are not in the box. Neither were the 4 spacers...and they are needed. I ended up using (3 ) 1/2" washers per stud instead and it worked out fine. If you don't have the spacers (or washers) the bracket won't line up right. For me, 2 washers wouldn't work and 4 was too many not leaving enough threads.

Also, @BDinTX , the RokBloxk mud flap bracket and flap fit just fine with the braces. Just need to install the plastic piece with the Christmas tree fasteners first, then install the bracket.
I donā€™t see the instructions posted on their websiteā€¦would you mind linking them?
I do see the pic with which parts should be included but mine didnā€™t come with the spacers/washers either. Honestly wouldnā€™t cost much to get something from the hardware store but pretty annoyed since this damn setup is overpriced already lol.

Also, for the rokblokz you didnā€™t need to drill a hole for the thumb screw? Just a quick look at the metal cloak bracket and it seemed like it didnā€™t have a hole in the right area.
Thanks

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I donā€™t see the instructions posted on their websiteā€¦would you mind linking them?
I do see the pic with which parts should be included but mine didnā€™t come with the spacers/washers either. Honestly wouldnā€™t cost much to get something from the hardware store but pretty annoyed since this damn setup is overpriced already lol.

Also, for the rokblokz you didnā€™t need to drill a hole for the thumb screw? Just a quick look at the metal cloak bracket and it seemed like it didnā€™t have a hole in the right area.
Thanks
You need to click on the link on their website as they have several depending on the config. These are for the metal bumper starting on page 20 Instructions. I did call them and told them they weren't included so hopefully they'll correct it on future orders but I'm guessing a bunch went out without them.

Didn't need to make any mods for the rokblokz thumbscrew. The bracket flares away from the brace leaving enough room.

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0

Attachments

Thereā€™sOnlyOne

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My order hasnā€™t showed, 7/6 order date, I called yesterday. Said out next week had to do some more production. Guess this thread created a ā€œrunā€ on them for these braces. Iā€™ll have to reach out again and make sure those spacers arenā€™t forgotten. No matter cost itā€™s always a bummer to not have all the needed parts arrive together. Unless itā€™s said otherwise in the description of anything you order, no one should have to DIY an install for missing parts.
Sponsored