First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
NERD
Looks like Metal Cloak is selling the ARS kit now.

I do like the OE rear steel but even with those brackets if it flexes enough they will rip into the body seam also. The brackets that is. Since they cross diagonally through/under the corner of body tub like the factory brackets do on both the steel and PLASTIC OE bumpers.

Has anyone who has done this hit their bumper hard since install and had any movement or damage. Thanks

https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-rear-metal-bumper-braces.html
Wish I had something like that ended up bending my rear steel oem bumper on a rock I’m hoping to get IT back in shape next week but it marked the body on one side and is pulled out on the other. Love and learn
Sponsored

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
Hopefully Metalcloak has a sale this weekend so I can give these brackets a try. My rear tire slipped off a rock this weekend and the bumper went up into the rear corner. Hopefully I install them and it never happens again.
I grabbed one since they’re 10% off this weekend

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
$156 is still expensive for this part for what it is and what it does. But I’m a sucker for a discount so I went ahead and took the plunge too. They got me again.

Sponsored

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
$156 is still expensive for this part for what it is and what it does. But I’m a sucker for a discount so I went ahead and took the plunge too. They got me again.
Right you are....I just like the look of the OEM bumper and they're the only ones offering additional strength.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
My thoughts exactly. Mine is on order too.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Fair enough. Build one that better matches the aesthetic flow of the Jeep and I’m there. I’ve looked at pretty much everything available and nothing I’ve found quite meets all of my criteria, although a couple have come close.
  • Matching front and rear bumpers
  • Lines compliment and “flow” with the body lines; doesn’t look like a slapped on afterthought
  • Front stubby bumper that accommodates fog lights, recessed winch, and a low or mid winch guard, not a full height stinger. This one is difficult, I know.
  • Tougher than the stamped steel OEM one. Can be aluminum or steel.

GO!
Do AEV bumpers meet that criteria? Hot stamped boron steel is pretty damn strong as well as thin and light. No visible welds either. Note that you didn't say that they needed to be affordable ;)

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Do AEV bumpers meet that criteria? Hot stamped boron steel is pretty damn strong as well as thin and light. No visible welds either. Note that you didn't say that they needed to be affordable ;)
I hadn’t really looked at them seriously. It’s hard to quantify, but I don’t like the look. It’s hard to say what it is specifically. I find them kind of “meh”.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I hadn’t really looked at them seriously. It’s hard to quantify, but I don’t like the look. It’s hard to say what it is specifically. I find them kind of “meh”.
They're close to OEM in appearance. That's probably due to hiring engineers from Jeep.

It's difficult to quantify the build quality. I don't know what category it belongs in, but it's beyond what Jeep produces.

Not liking their appearance simplifies the selection process though!

Sponsored

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon
Been reading this thread with interest…at $300 it as a price point I wasn’t interested in, but with the special, I’m in.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
They’ve priced themselves out of competition but I think the ACE stubby looks pretty damn good, I’m a bit biased though since I bought one lol.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
I also got this item a minute ago. Discount appears towards the end of purchase.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Figures that @Metalcloak would start selling just the brackets after ARS (a Metal Cloak company) refused to...

Last edited:
OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Figures that @Metalcloak would start selling just the brackets after ARS (a metalcloak company) refused to...
I really hope we can get other manufacturers interested in producing this as a real product. Competition is good.
Sponsored