First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I could have probably 4-6 0.25" brackets laser cut for their minimum order ($29), but that would be flat metal with holes... no bend, no coating (I have my own press-brake and would spray paint).

I've never used sendcutsend's bending or coating option (which is new!), so I can't comment on pricing on a complete part.
Well if you go that route and get a quality piece, would you make the file available? I’d like to get them to make me a pair with the bend and already powder coated. If it costs more that’s fine.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Well if you go that route and get a quality piece, would you make the file available? I’d like to get them to make me a pair with the bend and already powder coated. If it costs more that’s fine.
I would definitely share the file.

proptied

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR Snazz
I could have probably 4-6 0.25" brackets laser cut for their minimum order ($29), but that would be flat metal with holes... no bend, no coating (I have my own press-brake and would spray paint).

I've never used sendcutsend's bending or coating option (which is new!), so I can't comment on pricing on a complete part.
I’ve used them quite a bit (including bending) and happy to help out or advise! Feel free to PM.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
What's the load capacity of the roof rack that these brackets were designed to support?

How much does the rear half of the lightest 2 door Jeep weigh?

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
What's the load capacity of the roof rack that these brackets were designed to support?

How much does the rear half of the lightest 2 door Jeep weigh?
The entire rack system is designed to hold 350 pounds of dynamic load, or 800 pounds of static load.

Assuming a 2-door's weight split is 53-47 (I calculated for a 4-door one time), each rear corner of a 2-door Sport would be around 940#.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The entire rack system is designed to hold 350 pounds of dynamic load, or 800 pounds of static load.

Assuming a 2-door's weight split is 53-47 (I calculated for a 4-door one time), each rear corner of a 2-door Sport would be around 940#.
I'm curious to see how those brackets will hold up to the impact load coming from the opposite direction from what they were designed for, when dragging the bumper off a ledge.

I too like how the factory steel bumpers flow well with the overall looks of the JL, which is why I opted to put money into my front. But the rear being of a "U" shape puts all of its natural strength horizontally, which is why they flex vertically with such ease.

I'm really not trying to be the pessimist here. I truly hope it at least minimizes the potential for damage. I've just spent a lot of time working in a shop that, amongst other things, dealt with designing and fabricating structure related to transporting heavy equipment or the false work that was used to support machines that were being split.

I'm kicking myself for giving away my rear bumper. I'd have my brother come up with something that focused on structure that wasn't compromised from also serving as a mounting point for the fender to bumper plastic filler panels. He's the welder, whereas I was the machinist that handled certain parts of a final weldment. It's a crying shame, thinking of so many more complicated pieces we've made over the years for $300. I'll stop babbling now.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I'm curious to see how those brackets will hold up to the impact load coming from the opposite direction from what they were designed for, when dragging the bumper off a ledge.

I too like how the factory steel bumpers flow well with the overall looks of the JL, which is why I opted to put money into my front. But the rear being of a "U" shape puts all of its natural strength horizontally, which is why they flex vertically with such ease.

I'm really not trying to be the pessimist here. I truly hope it at least minimizes the potential for damage. I've just spent a lot of time working in a shop that, amongst other things, dealt with designing and fabricating structure related to transporting heavy equipment or the false work that was used to support machines that were being split.

I'm kicking myself for giving away my rear bumper. I'd have my brother come up with something that focused on structure that wasn't compromised from also serving as a mounting point for the fender to bumper plastic filler panels. He's the welder, whereas I was the machinist that handled certain parts of a final weldment. It's a crying shame, thinking of so many more complicated pieces we've made over the years for $300. I'll stop babbling now.
Why don’t you stop babbling, then go get a rear bumper from somewhere and design and fabricate this piece for less than $300? Or less than $100.

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

I'm curious too. Unfortunately I don't intend to test it... it's more of insurance for me in case I come down too hard. This absolutely is an improvement over stock, but it isn't indestructible like some aftermarket options.

I don't think the U shape of the bumper is the weak point anymore, rather it's the length of the brackets vs the mounting (and the remaining OEM L brackets). There's a lot of leverage being held by brackets that could be designed better at the frame side. Reusing the OEM mounting for the front bracket is easy, but something that had a plate with a few more bolts or even something that saddled under and around the frame would make it much better.

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
There's a lot of leverage being held by brackets that could be designed better at the frame side. Reusing the OEM mounting for the front bracket is easy, but something that had a plate with a few more bolts or even something that saddled under and around the frame would make it much better.
Installed my rear shocks today and noticed this hole on both sides of the frame. This hole is sleeved all the way through the boxed frame... would be an improvement if the brackets were extended to this point for an additional bolt. Bracket and bolt would be slightly visible in the fenderwell with all the OEM trim in place

Anyone know why this hole is here? Is there something else that bolts up in this location?

Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements PXL_20220604_161315944

Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements PXL_20220604_161842296

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Installed my rear shocks today and noticed this hole on both sides of the frame. This hole is sleeved all the way through the boxed frame... would be an improvement if the brackets were extended to this point for an additional bolt. Bracket and bolt would be slightly visible in the fenderwell with all the OEM trim in place

Anyone know why this hole is here? Is there something else that bolts up in this location?

Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements PXL_20220604_161842296

Trailer hitch?

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I installed mine today. @AnnDee4444 - much appreciated for finding these. ARS would not sell me just the brackets so I had to buy the kit, but I am good with that since it contained the spacers and all of the bolts and they gave me 10% off and no tax.

Pretty straightforward installation, though those studs on the bumper were a bear to get on to tighten. I also used plastic rivets to hold the mud guard in place as opposed to the "christmas tree" fasteners that ARS provided. In retrospect, I should have just installed some rivnuts and been done with it, but I did not think about it until after I installed the second side.

This kit makes a HUGE difference in reducing deflection and the bumper does not flex like it did with the OEM brackets. I am very happy with the change as well as the ability to retain the OEM JL look of my Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements 20220606_174443

Last edited:
OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I also used plastic rivets to hold the mud guard in place as opposed to the "christmas tree" fasteners that ARS provided. In retrospect, I should have just installed some rivnuts and been done with it, but I did not think about it until after I installed the second side.
When I pulled off the plastic mud guards a few days ago to install rear shocks I managed to break two of the plastic ARS fasteners... they're basically one-time use. I was also thinking rivnuts might be a good solution, but haven't had a chance to mess with it yet (and they haven't fallen off with 2/3 fasteners).

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
When I pulled off the plastic mud guards a few days ago to install rear shocks I managed to break two of the plastic ARS fasteners... they're basically one-time use. I was also thinking rivnuts might be a good solution, but haven't had a chance to mess with it yet (and they haven't fallen off with 2/3 fasteners).
I should have thought of it sooner (like when they were just out of the box), but I was not exactly sure at that point what it entailed. I think that I can still install them with the brackets mounted (may be a little tight on the inside two), but that would be a much better solution.

Although the plastic rivets (like the ones used on the fenders) tightened up, it still feels floppy. I may try to install rivnuts later this week and will let you know how it goes.

There’sOnlyOne

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Looks like Metal Cloak is selling the ARS kit now.

I do like the OE rear steel but even with those brackets if it flexes enough they will rip into the body seam also. The brackets that is. Since they cross diagonally through/under the corner of body tub like the factory brackets do on both the steel and PLASTIC OE bumpers.

Has anyone who has done this hit their bumper hard since install and had any movement or damage. Thanks

https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-rear-metal-bumper-braces.html
Sponsored