Sponsored

OEM Steel Bumper vs. ARB Classic (and AEV)

JeepColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Very glad to hear from someone with personal experience, thank you for sharing your photo!

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple of questions. Was there any necessary drilling or modification for install? Do you notice any sag due to the extra weight? Was your MPG affected?

I would be looking to add the same ARB Intensity lights as well. Looks great!
I don't mind at all; I researched constantly before I landed on the ARB. I had it professionally installed so I couldn't tell you for sure, but I got the impression that it bolted right on from talking to the shop. You do notice the weight in the front- it's not bad, but the first time you drive it you notice it. Since then I've gotten used to it and I don't notice it at all. As you can tell I've got the Warn Winch- it's a 10-S so it adds considerable weight as well, but again, nothing that has dramatically changed the driving dynamics; most people probably wouldn't notice. I've not noticed a difference in MPG at all. I was concerned about air flow, but so far no issues. I live in Colorado and have driven up over Vail Pass and the Eisenhower Tunnel over 11,000 feet and no issues.

As a side note, I put the Intensity Flood Beams on the bumper and the Spot Beam Intensity Bar on the roof rack- they both are crazy bright. The flood beams are probably all most people would ever need as they throw an awesome amount of light out. The spot beam is great as well, it's probably overkill, ha, but I can light up the entire trail if I want to!

Regarding fit and finish I couldn't be happier. ARB makes outstanding stuff. I did go with the Warn Elite Rear bumper as I have the rear blind spot detectors and I wanted the bumper to be compatible with the factory sensors. I also really like how the Warn swing-away tire carrier works with the rear door. The finish of the Warn and that ARB look remarkably similar and I think the designs compliment each other so neither looks out of place with the other.

If you plan on keeping the Jeep for a while and using it off-road I'd highly recommend the ARB front- it's more coin, but the quality of the bumper is undeniable and it looks even better in person.

IMG_0887.JPG
Sponsored

JeepColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Here's a couple of more pics to give you an idea of how it sits- while the first time I drove it, the front end felt heavier- i haven't noticed any difference in the rake- the front end does not sag.

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

OP
OP
dtortie

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I don't mind at all; I researched constantly before I landed on the ARB. I had it professionally installed so I couldn't tell you for sure, but I got the impression that it bolted right on from talking to the shop. You do notice the weight in the front- it's not bad, but the first time you drive it you notice it. Since then I've gotten used to it and I don't notice it at all. As you can tell I've got the Warn Winch- it's a 10-S so it adds considerable weight as well, but again, nothing that has dramatically changed the driving dynamics; most people probably wouldn't notice. I've not noticed a difference in MPG at all. I was concerned about air flow, but so far no issues. I live in Colorado and have driven up over Vail Pass and the Eisenhower Tunnel over 11,000 feet and no issues.

As a side note, I put the Intensity Flood Beams on the bumper and the Spot Beam Intensity Bar on the roof rack- they both are crazy bright. The flood beams are probably all most people would ever need as they throw an awesome amount of light out. The spot beam is great as well, it's probably overkill, ha, but I can light up the entire trail if I want to!

Regarding fit and finish I couldn't be happier. ARB makes outstanding stuff. I did go with the Warn Elite Rear bumper as I have the rear blind spot detectors and I wanted the bumper to be compatible with the factory sensors. I also really like how the Warn swing-away tire carrier works with the rear door. The finish of the Warn and that ARB look remarkably similar and I think the designs compliment each other so neither looks out of place with the other.

If you plan on keeping the Jeep for a while and using it off-road I'd highly recommend the ARB front- it's more coin, but the quality of the bumper is undeniable and it looks even better in person.

IMG_0887.JPG
Really appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. This was exactly what I was hoping for.

I would have end up having it professionally installed as well and may double check with the local shop to be sure there is no drilling or modification necessary for installation. I want to keep the ability to revert back to stock.

Thank you for mentioning that you felt the weight when you initially had it installed. I plan to add a winch too (looking at the EVO 10) and I want to be prepared for any changes/noticeable differences. Also great to hear you haven't noticed any air flow issues with the lights in front of the grill, especially at 11k+ feet. I live closer to sea level. Have you had it in 90+ degree weather?

Awesome to hear about the lights too. In all seriousness, the factory LEDs are probably just fine for my application but one can never have too much light (plus I like the look on the grill guard).

After the responses in this thread about the rear bumper buckling into the tub off-road, I may look into alternatives for the rear as well. Great to hear that the Warn rear matches the ARB finish. The only thing that bugs me, about both the Warn and ARB, at a quick glance is the mis-match near the rear fenders. They don't seem to flow as well as the front. Could just be me (I haven't had a chance to see them in person).

Thank you for providing the additional photos too! It's like you read my mind. I was going to ask for a side profile for exactly those two reasons, to see how flush it sits and if there's any noticeable sag. Perfect on both accounts!

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
The only thing that bugs me, about both the Warn and ARB, at a quick glance is the mis-match near the rear fenders. They don't seem to flow as well as the front.
You really cannot go wrong with either ARB or Warn...My 2-door Rubi should be shipping soon (hopefully-as has been in JB since last week) so I decided on the Warn Elite bumpers, I like the fact they match and the weight is not bad at all. The front weighs about 89 pounds and the non-tire carrier rear about 80 pounds. (I ordered the hinge-gate reinforcement and will keep stock wheels using 315/70R17 KO2's) Obviously, a Warn winch should be a perfect fit!

Also with the ARB, I could not have resisted adding those cool giant floods to the bumper! However, here in the Arizona desert with summer temps regularly hitting 110+ (Officially, while the hottest day in the Phoenix area was 122, we often reach into the high teens) I was concerned with restricting airflow and overheating. In a past life, I ran the service department for a large luxury car dealership and know all too well the challenges our summertime temps present to vehicles.

Whichever you go with, wish you the best and please post pictures once you decide!

OP
OP
dtortie

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
You really cannot go wrong with either ARB or Warn...My 2-door Rubi should be shipping soon (hopefully-as has been in JB since last week) so I decided on the Warn Elite bumpers, I like the fact they match and the weight is not bad at all. The front weighs about 89 pounds and the non-tire carrier rear about 80 pounds. (I ordered the hinge-gate reinforcement and will keep stock wheels using 315/70R17 KO2's) Obviously, a Warn winch should be a perfect fit!

Also with the ARB, I could not have resisted adding those cool giant floods to the bumper! However, here in the Arizona desert with summer temps regularly hitting 110+ (Officially, while the hottest day in the Phoenix area was 122, we often reach into the high teens) I was concerned with restricting airflow and overheating. In a past life, I ran the service department for a large luxury car dealership and know all too well the challenges our summertime temps present to vehicles.

Whichever you go with, wish you the best and please post pictures once you decide!
Congratulations on your [almost-here] JL! I'll look forward to seeing photos of your new 2 door with Warn Elite bumpers installed.

Glad you brought up the 110+ degree weather (phew!). That's my concern as well. We don't get quite that high here on the east coast but we've been known to have weeks of 90+ and low 100s. Of course if I decide to go ARB, I'll add those floods. They look great!

If and when I decide, I will be sure to post pictures. Thank you!

Sponsored

JL Sahara AZ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL

Do you have any pics of your warn bumper? I’m considering one for my sahara- I put the Rubicon suspension and 33” tires. Just dont want it to look to big or heavy on my set up

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Hello all,

I purchased my Rubi with the factory steel bumpers. Thought I would be content but one of those modification bugs has been flying around and pestering me. I would eventually like to add a winch (thinking Warn EVO 10) and two round lights on a grill guard.

Safety is my #1 concern. My commute consists mostly of busy highway miles. Are ARB bumpers crash-tested? I’ve only found older videos in my research. I’m looking specifically at the ARB Classic Deluxe Front Bumper (https://arbusa.com/jeep-wrangler-jl-2018-on/bumpers-protection-equipment/arb-classic-deluxe-bumper/). How do their recovery points compare with the OEM steel? Should I be concerned with the grill guard and lights blocking air flow into the grill? How do these aftermarket bumpers hold up to the elements (snow, salt, sun) years down the road?

Also potentially considering AEV. How do ARB and AEV compare in terms of fit and finish, quality, and craftsmanship? Especially compared with OEM?

Hope that’s not an overload of questions. If you haven’t figured it out, I’m new to the Jeep (and mod) world. Thank you for your time and look forward to hearing your feedback!
I'm surprised that you didn't stick with the factory steel bumpers. IMO the steel OEM bumpers are one area where Jeep got it right, and most alternatives would be a downgrade.

OP
OP
dtortie

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I'm surprised that you didn't stick with the factory steel bumpers. IMO the steel OEM bumpers are one area where Jeep got it right, and most alternatives would be a downgrade.[/Q
I haven't made any decisions yet. One day I'm leaning towards the ARB, the next I'm more than content with OEM. Why do you feel that most alternatives would be a downgrade?

JurassicJeep12

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jpmotorpool.com
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler (Leslie), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Land Raider)
Occupation
Warehouse Manager
Vehicle Showcase
6BAC2134-C444-495A-A783-85D22CD486BD.jpeg
ADBB2EBA-C949-4223-BAB7-64154A235447.jpeg
1BD31A22-AF99-4172-8A06-A45B21F0FCCF.jpeg
Interesting, I also felt the Warn rear bumper was a better match to ARB's front bumper. We have the same configuration. I also have silver paint, and painted hard top and unpainted flares. My wheels are MOAB so same as Rubi but black. How do you like the tire carrier?

OP
OP
dtortie

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
@JurassicJeep12 Thank you for sharing your pictures, looks great! I agree on the rear. As I mentioned previously, in my opinion, the ARB doesn’t appear to line up with the rear fenders as cleanly [as stock]. With that said, I have not seen the rear in person.

Sponsored

JurassicJeep12

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jpmotorpool.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Warehouse Manager
Vehicle Showcase
@JurassicJeep12 Thank you for sharing your pictures, looks great! I agree on the rear. As I mentioned previously, in my opinion, the ARB doesn’t appear to line up with the rear fenders as cleanly [as stock]. With that said, I have not seen the rear in person.
I contacted ARB a few times and their response was that they had a lot of request for more clearance and that was their solution, even though they knew it wouldn't match up with OEM.

OP
OP
dtortie

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I contacted ARB a few times and their response was that they had a lot of request for more clearance and that was their solution, even though they knew it wouldn't match up with OEM.
Interesting. That's too bad.

upload_2020-1-22_22-6-14.jpeg

For the rear, I much prefer the continuous lines of the AEV.

upload_2020-1-22_22-7-46.jpeg

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I haven't made any decisions yet. One day I'm leaning towards the ARB, the next I'm more than content with OEM. Why do you feel that most alternatives would be a downgrade?
First, I like the sturdiness (see my thread on my crash) and the appearance. Also, unlike aftermarket bumpers, you will get some residual value in the OEM (they are an adder to your KBB's valuation) when you sell.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ng-on-ordering-the-steel-bumper-option.44772/

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
If the production version looks like this, I'll be buying the AEV bumper...

JL-Jeep-Wrangler-AEV-SEMA-3.jpg

JurassicJeep12

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jpmotorpool.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Warehouse Manager
Vehicle Showcase