OEM steel bumper or aftermarket?

James57

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Planning on buying Rubicon 2021, getting the thing outfitted from the factory.
The OEM steel bumper is $1300cad. of should I skip and buy aftermarket?
Plan putting on a winch, also thinking about having the winch mount in the back as well if needed.
Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Skip and buy after market. The front bumper is solid but the back is trash. You can usually find the front OE steel one for $600-750 on the forum or other marketplaces like OfferUp, Ebay, etc.

OP
OP

James57

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Skip and buy after market. The front bumper is solid but the back is trash. You can usually find the front OE steel one for $600-750 on the forum or other marketplaces like OfferUp, Ebay, etc.
Thanks Tomas
What are some of the better aftermarket companys for Jeep?
Not just bumpers but in general.
Thanks
James

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Thanks Tomas
What are some of the better aftermarket companys for Jeep?
Not just bumpers but in general.
Thanks
James
@Jaeth sent a pretty complete list above. Lots of manufacturers out there depending what kind of bumper you’re looking for! Popular ones are LOD, Poison Spyder, ARB, DV8, AEV, Smittybuilt, amongst others. I went with ARB stubby. Really happy with quality. Install was very straightforward. Welcome to the rabbit hole! Happy hunting :)

A61DBE10-1F0C-42BC-9D08-F960A5864A5A.jpeg

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Way better options for less money in the aftermarket. The factory rear steel bumper is complete trash.

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
Way better options for less money in the aftermarket. The factory rear steel bumper is complete trash.
I'm not disagreeing with you... but curious to know what makes it so bad? I eventually would like to replace front/back but wonder how difficult it is to move the sensors.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t like 99% of the aftermarket bumpers; they look like highschool projects. I’d go OE.

I got my Mopar bumper for $900, including shipping. It comes with the LED fogs, red hooks and fully assembled. It is true plug and play.

Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper or aftermarket? 1612278364339

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I went with LOD Signature series mid width, recessed winch setup is great and the bumper is rated for flat tow

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I am very happy with the factory steel bumpers so far. I have not been is a situation that I had to worry about the rear bumper being pushed up into the body when coming off of a ledge or similar.

Sponsored

goochman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKU Sahara, 2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Cruze Premier
After getting new bumpers, tires, rims, headlights, fog lights, bluetooth addon, ipod integration and mopar hands free device upgrades to my 2009 JK - I wanted to keep my 2020 Rubicon as factory as possible. I like the steel bumpers and got from factory. I also dont foresee the rear banging issue in my future.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I like the factory steel front bumper and think it compliments the face of the Jeep. As for the rear, I agree with word302 above. It's flimsy and prone to getting pushed up into the body. I went with the Ultra High Clearance bumper from Cavfab. It is way stronger, while also not hanging as low or protruding as far back.
Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper or aftermarket? 20210117_135535
Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper or aftermarket? 20210117_135607_resized

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm not disagreeing with you... but curious to know what makes it so bad? I eventually would like to replace front/back but wonder how difficult it is to move the sensors.
It is so flimsy that several people have sustained body damage from pretty mild wheeling. When you pull the thing off you’ll understand, it weighs about 7 pounds (I’m exaggerating, but it’s stupid light).

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Personally, I like the factory steel front bumper and think it compliments the face of the Jeep. As for the rear, I agree with word302 above. It's flimsy and prone to getting pushed up into the body. I went with the Ultra High Clearance bumper from Cavfab. It is way stronger, while also not hanging as low or protruding as far back.
20210117_135535.jpg
20210117_135607_resized.jpg
Is that with the factory tow package? Did you have to do anything special when uninstalling the factory and installing the Cavfab? I like that bumper.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
I just took delivery of my third JL Rubicon. The first two had steel bumper group this one I figured you really can’t tell the difference. I just ordered OEM from BAM and winch guard. In the grand scheme of things get the stock steel one if you want to change it later you can and you can always sell the steel one don’t regret it like I did
Sponsored