Sponsored

OEM Steel bumper damage

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Figured I’d share. I’m removing my stock steel bumper and installing a MC. Looking like I have to prep and paint before I install anything…

63A593A9-DB24-4889-BCC3-13404CF6A7A6.jpeg

01D678BD-8D91-493C-801B-58222BB22B70.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Industrialwrench

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple more. The lame thing is that it’s damaged in more places than I thought before removing it. All the damage below was a surprise. Same with the rubbing from the plastics

9705CDF2-EA39-41CB-95E1-ADC432B8E631.jpeg

E167F611-1A34-46EA-89B1-E744EBE4C104.jpeg

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
I was lucky enough to catch mine early. I read about the issues with the stock metal rear AFTER my trip to Hot Springs Off Road Park. I also replaced mine with @Metalcloak. Here is my writeup from FB and a couple pics:

I suspect there's a theme/story behind just about every mod ever done.
Here's mine: CUSTOMER SERVICE!
Item: JL Wrangler Crawler "Narrow Width" Rear Bumper, BPC
I was missing 2 spacers necessary for the install, and I called the Company at 1:54 PM yesterday (1-18-22) to see if I might have missed something. They looked up my bumper plans and agreed that I needed the parts. Without me even asking, they stated that they would next-day-air the parts to me. I told them that I would look through the packing material again to make sure I didn't just overlook them and call them back. I left a message and had my call returned at 3:21 PM. They again stated that they would overnight them to me. They arrived today (1-19-22)!
Of course, I could rave about the tight tolerances, the quality materials and the BETTER-THAN-STOCK design, but I knew about all that before I ordered. What I didn't know was that @Metalcloak truly cares about their customers. Since this is my daily driver, I needed to get this bumper switch done during my 2 days off. Things might have gotten interesting from a logistical standpoint if I needed to figure out a different way to get to work.
BTW, this was not the first hint at their superior customer service. After placing my original order, I got a call from MC. It was basically just a meet & greet call and a thank you for my order.
I want to officially thank @Metalcloak for their superior customer service. THANK YOU!
(Sorry about the poor picture quality. This was late and light was fading...and damn was it cold to be doing a bumper swap!).
(BTW, I did have a small amt of body damage from the stock bumper contacting the tub on the passenger side. THIS is why I made the switch to begin with!)
Jeep Wrangler JL OEM Steel bumper damage 1671750640828

Jeep Wrangler JL OEM Steel bumper damage 1671750603887

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Yup, I didn’t damage mine as badly as you did but the potential was there. I’ve been eyeballing MC’s full width one with the stand off/step side parts. I also like that it relocates the trailer plugs up and away from harm.

Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

A couple more. The lame thing is that it’s damaged in more places than I thought before removing it. All the damage below was a surprise. Same with the rubbing from the plastics

Gross. Did the bumper show any damage? Wouldn't be surprised to find similar underneath mine

OP
OP
Industrialwrench

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gross. Did the bumper show any damage? Wouldn't be surprised to find similar underneath mine
The bumper looks fine. I’ve certainly used it in the rocks, but nothing to indicate the damage I found when I removed it. A few scratches, I’m just bummed I spent almost $2k in an oem bumper upgrade from the factory that’s basically junk.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

The bumper looks fine. I’ve certainly used it in the rocks, but nothing to indicate the damage I found when I removed it. A few scratches, I’m just bummed I spent almost $2k in an oem bumper upgrade from the factory that’s basically junk.
Yeah, bit of a rip on cost there, I do still like the front one though. Should halve that price. Mine is crammed up on the rear driver side against the paint, have touched it up once, and its a much bigger gap on the other side from coming off a ledge somewhere. Was hoping I didnt have to get an all new bumper, that maybe a spacer washer or trimming the inside of the left side of bumper would be possible but sounds like I should just junk the thing like you. Your new one is pretty clean, good choice

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I am wondering it it might be worth the $175 investment to purchase the Metalcloak OEM steel bumper reinforcement brackets. I am debating….

Reactions: AFD

Sponsored

OP
OP
Industrialwrench

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am wondering it it might be worth the $175 investment to purchase the Metalcloak OEM steel bumper reinforcement brackets. I am debating….
The brackets MC has are much more solid than what’s from the factory. They probably would help the factory bumper, but I didn’t like how the factory still managed to use a giant plastic piece for the license plate holder, so it had to go.

JJsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR ER, 2008 JKU Sahara, 2023 Yukon XL,
I‘m debating the same. Really isn’t all that pricey if it can survive some additional contact.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

I wonder if their brackets will keep the rear bumper from flexing into the body?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs