Sponsored

OEM Rubicon front end noise. (knock, creak?)

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Hi all,

I've had an annoying noise on the left front end for a few months.

2020 2 door Rubicon

Never hear it higher than a few km/h, but when backing out of my driveway or slowly driving in a parking lot, i hear it.

It sounds like a knock or creaking or squeek.

Last summer I had a 1 inch leveling kit installed, it's the only mod i have.

Today I figured i'd take the left front tire off and see if everything is tight. All seems ok.
But, while I had the diff sitting on a jack-stand without a tire, I pressed down on the bumper, and heard the noise.
I put my hand on various components and then I touched the shock, I could feel it.

Is it possible the shock's piston shaft is dirty? I can't see because of the plastic guard.

The Jeep only has 14,000km (8700 miles) on it so I don't think the shocks are worn.

Probably did about 3000km since the leveling kit install.

Anyone seen this? Are the OEM rubicon shocks known to be squeekers?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Check your shock fastener torque? I've had to retorque mine (upper fasteners) a few times after swapping my shocks twice.

OP
OP

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I'll see if I can get to them. When we installed the spacers, we only disconnected the bottom of the shocks so they should not have been loosened. Not sure if I can easily get to the top mounting bolts, isn't it recessed inside the fender/inner shield?

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep the fronts are super easy... just peel back the fender liners. There's a square notch but you'll need to pull them back a bit more. They're very soft and easily pulled back to see the upper mount/bolt.

If you've disconnected the lowers and not the uppers I'm betting the uppers need a quick retorque.

OP
OP

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Thanks, I'll look into that, but since I was only pushing down on the bumper by about 1 inch, seems unlikely that the upper shock mount would move enough to cause that noise, no?

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh no...mine was rattling with just a slight looseness. The bolt hole is larger than the shock mount hole. A slight looseness can cause a rattle. Also, you have to put a hand on the shock and move it fore/aft, push/pull, not up/down to detect it.

OP
OP

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Thanks, I'll have a look tomorrow, it's annoying as hell.

OP
OP

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Decided to go back and try this today.
So I was able to give that upper shock bolt about half a turn (with a 3 foot bar).
Quick drive around the block and i can still hear it. Maybe a tad less but it's snowing heavily so it may mess with sounds and road noise).

The only other thing I was considering is the Tie-Rod. It has a bit of up/down play which I think is normal as it's rotating on it's ball ends, but could it be that I hear it knock when it hits the ends of it's normal "play" ?

OP
OP

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Finally went around and tightened/checked everything i could see.
Only exception is lower control arm as i didn't have a 24mm wrench (socket won't fit) so i'll be doing those tomorrow.

I'm stumped... Still hear that low level thump/knock at low speeds.

As I mentioned in my previous post, since the tie-rod has some rotational play (which is normal) could it be that's what i'm hearing? It does not happen on pavement, just when there's the slightest uneven terrain (gravel, cracks, etc).

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Finally went around and tightened/checked everything i could see.
Only exception is lower control arm as i didn't have a 24mm wrench (socket won't fit) so i'll be doing those tomorrow.

I'm stumped... Still hear that low level thump/knock at low speeds.

As I mentioned in my previous post, since the tie-rod has some rotational play (which is normal) could it be that's what i'm hearing? It does not happen on pavement, just when there's the slightest uneven terrain (gravel, cracks, etc).
It sounds like track bar bushing on frame side, or not torqued to spec, if you haven’t already, check that. If nothing else, it will eliminate a possible cause. The oem track bars are a little less than adequate.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
It sounds like track bar bushing on frame side, or not torqued to spec, if you haven’t already, check that. If nothing else, it will eliminate a possible cause. The oem track bars are a little less than adequate.
i'll have a look at it tomorrow, with the mileage it has, i would assume loose is more likely and not worn.

Thanks, i'll report back!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
i'll have a look at it tomorrow, with the mileage it has, i would assume loose is more likely and not worn.

Thanks, i'll report back!
If you lay under the front while someone turns the steering wheel back and forth, you can watch for any lateral movement. Check both ends. You’re right in assuming not worn, but I’ve replaced worn, torn, and defective oem steering, and suspension parts including ball joints for guys with less than 20k miles. So I’m not surprised by anything anymore, lol.

As for your tie rod and drag link a little movement when you twist it is normal, but there shouldn’t be any up and down movement without twisting.

OP
OP

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Checked everything, it's all tight as can be.

But, the drag link also has the same rotation as the tie-rod bar. The big difference is that it sounds a little hollow making it's end of rotation "thud" a bit more pronounced.

Could it be that one simply doing it's thing?

I have a good ear (it can be a curse).

I guess replacing them with after market would (could) solve it, but that's an expensive "if".

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn’t there some reports of ball joints loosening in the aluminum knuckles as we? Yeah check everything everyone has mentioned also ball joints, lug nut torque, if you have rock sliders they can make noise. They factory rock rails can make noise. Could be many things but you initially said you could jiggle the shock and hear it? The shock could be damaged as well.
Sponsored