oem fog light circuit amperage

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
seem to remember something aobut this being posted, but can't seem to locate it.

any thoughts as to whether or not the oem circuit would be able to handle the power of a set of Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE fog lights at 3 amps (not sure if this is the rating for a single light, or the pair: thoughts on both)

has anyone wired aftermarket led fogs into their system?

what didyou do for wiring?
Sponsored

silverheep

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR4xe
I’ve got a similar question as I have a set of the same fogs on order.

Looking at the stickied wiring diagrams, the wire size is spec’d at 0.75 mm2/18awg - which should be good for 5 amps as long as the run is under 7 feet.

Reading the data sheet from Diode Dynamics, my assumption is that each fixture draws up to 3 amps individually - @Diode Dynamics can you confirm?

I ordered based on the two assumptions above - but looking at the wiring diagram again, it looks like the fogs are powered directly from the BCM…and it would be nice to know if the BCM can support 3 amps per side. Does anyone have a conclusive answer? Otherwise, will probably build a quick harness with a relay.

OP
OP
MyDaughters20JL

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I’ve got a similar question as I have a set of the same fogs on order.

Looking at the stickied wiring diagrams, the wire size is spec’d at 0.75 mm2/18awg - which should be good for 5 amps as long as the run is under 7 feet.

Reading the data sheet from Diode Dynamics, my assumption is that each fixture draws up to 3 amps individually - @Diode Dynamics can you confirm?

I ordered based on the two assumptions above - but looking at the wiring diagram again, it looks like the fogs are powered directly from the BCM…and it would be nice to know if the BCM can support 3 amps per side. Does anyone have a conclusive answer? Otherwise, will probably build a quick harness with a relay.
I really know nothing regarding wire size versus power, it’s something just stuck in my mind about having read someplace maybe that the fog light circuit circuit was a 20 amp circuit but I can’t seem to find anything about it and I really don’t know for certain

OP
OP
MyDaughters20JL

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
3 amps is for one light! So 6 amps total. You'll be totally fine on stock wiring, we have tested and confirmed this with years of operation on many JLs. Thanks!
is this the type of pigtail that I"d need to connect 2 ss3 standards to the factory harness?
wiring adapter

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
is this the type of pigtail that I"d need to connect 2 ss3 standards to the factory harness?
wiring adapter
Yes, our SS3 LED pods use 2-pin DT connectors. You should be all set with that dual output wiring harness!

John C.
Diode Dynamics
Sponsored