Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the part numbers and other info!
One question. Can you tell me why you have the dome light listed? Is that a necessary part in this setup? Thanks!
Sponsored

Tragdor

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the part numbers and other info!
One question. Can you tell me why you have the dome light listed? Is that a necessary part in this setup? Thanks!
Ah, that was a mistake on my part. I just listed my whole order. Totally separate thing - I read that the 2019 dome light turns on all lights on the dome light when the doors are open, and since the 2018 is super dim, I’m moving to the 2019 version. Corrected.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, that was a mistake on my part. I just listed my whole order. Totally separate thing - I read that the 2019 dome light turns on all lights on the dome light when the doors are open, and since the 2018 is super dim, I’m moving to the 2019 version. Corrected.
No worries, amigo! Thank you for the clarification! ;)

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you the harness is somewhat complicated.

-remove mirror
-remove visors
-remove a pillar trim
-remove upper windshield trim

The main plugs are on left and right a pillar. None of this is particular hard to remove, But is definitely a several hour job.

Oh, and once you replace the mirror.... It won't work. Not with out a BCM/Uconnect flash similar to the Aux switches. Good luck getting dealer to do that. Recall, that there is a mirror option on the uconnect system (if your vehicle is equipped with an auto dim mirror). Without that option, mirror auto dim feature will be off by default with no way to enable. Maybe you will get a different result.

Also there are two types of auto dim mirrors - one with the SOS/Assist features, and one without. I ordered and installed the auto dim mirror with SOS/Assist buttons. Those buttons are enabled, and have power, so I know my connections are good. There are only 3 wires for the connector on the mirror. I scavenged those from another mirror harness (one for a vehicle equipped with the skytouch power top). The mirror connector is the same regardless of type of mirror.

Bottom line, is, like most of the other features, this cannot be easily added - even if you have all the parts. I've already posted a request to add the mirror feature, if possible, on the Tazer JL feature request page...

Tragdor

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
@RocketScientist I bought the non-SOS mirror and am waiting for the harness. I'll drop it in while I'm installing some other bits and will let you know if it makes a difference. I'll also drop a note to support the Tazer feature since I have one as well.

Edit - looks like you might already know the answer to this as I just saw your non-SOS mirror for sell as an older ad.

Sponsored

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
I can tell you the harness is somewhat complicated.

-remove mirror
-remove visors
-remove a pillar trim
-remove upper windshield trim

The main plugs are on left and right a pillar. None of this is particular hard to remove, But is definitely a several hour job.

Oh, and once you replace the mirror.... It won't work. Not with out a BCM/Uconnect flash similar to the Aux switches. Good luck getting dealer to do that. Recall, that there is a mirror option on the uconnect system (if your vehicle is equipped with an auto dim mirror). Without that option, mirror auto dim feature will be off by default with no way to enable. Maybe you will get a different result.

Also there are two types of auto dim mirrors - one with the SOS/Assist features, and one without. I ordered and installed the auto dim mirror with SOS/Assist buttons. Those buttons are enabled, and have power, so I know my connections are good. There are only 3 wires for the connector on the mirror. I scavenged those from another mirror harness (one for a vehicle equipped with the skytouch power top). The mirror connector is the same regardless of type of mirror.

Bottom line, is, like most of the other features, this cannot be easily added - even if you have all the parts. I've already posted a request to add the mirror feature, if possible, on the Tazer JL feature request page...
Let me know if you here anything from taxer on adding codes.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@RocketScientist I bought the non-SOS mirror and am waiting for the harness. I'll drop it in while I'm installing some other bits and will let you know if it makes a difference. I'll also drop a note to support the Tazer feature since I have one as well.

Edit - looks like you might already know the answer to this as I just saw your non-SOS mirror for sell as an older ad.
Ok was reading this thread with high hopes.

OEM auto-dimming mirror a pipe dream for a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL (manual 3.6L V6)?

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Had auto dim on a Challenger.........not impressed. Have a Sport 2 dr now. Old school flip mirror reduces brightness more than auto dim mirror when you have a big scary truck with LED's riding your bumper.

ASarsano

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Occupation
SFC - 68W
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys just wanted to report in I got my Auto dimming mirror installed and working in my 2018 Wrangler JL. Big thanks to Allmopartparts.com for the diagrams and then the quick help ordering the overhead harness. The main issue was once the overhead harness was installed there were no wires in corresponding slots in the connector behind the Passanger side a pillar. (Yellow/Pink (Ignition switched) and a Orange/Violate (BCM)) check ur connectors behind the passanger A-pillar u should see these 2 on the over head harness plug but if u check the body side of the plug there not pinned. I added 2 pins and ran the wires to the Compass module (they share the same wires) and it’s now working on the radio etc. SOS and Assist buttons function too

Cerberus

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2003 TJ Sahara
Great info. Will be doing this upgrade to accompany my 8.4" uconnect upgrade. Where is the compass module/wires you tapped into to run those 2 missing pins?

Sponsored

ASarsano

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Occupation
SFC - 68W
Vehicle Showcase
Great info. Will be doing this upgrade to accompany my 8.4" uconnect upgrade. Where is the compass module/wires you tapped into to run those 2 missing pins?
Right under the dash on the passenger side. If you pull the top dash trim (Easy to do. only 1 bolt behind the radio bezel, and pressure clips) u can see it in a cut out I was able to stick my fingers in the cut out and unplug the connect which had enough slack to tap and solder my jumpers to the added pins

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Hey guys just wanted to report in I got my Auto dimming mirror installed and working in my 2018 Wrangler JL. Big thanks to Allmopartparts.com for the diagrams and then the quick help ordering the overhead harness. The main issue was once the overhead harness was installed there were no wires in corresponding slots in the connector behind the Passanger side a pillar. (Yellow/Pink (Ignition switched) and a Orange/Violate (BCM)) check ur connectors behind the passanger A-pillar u should see these 2 on the over head harness plug but if u check the body side of the plug there not pinned. I added 2 pins and ran the wires to the Compass module (they share the same wires) and it’s now working on the radio etc. SOS and Assist buttons function too
Did the on-screen toggle for the auto dim mirror show up on the UConnect screen after you tapped into the compass module's wire without doing any programming? Also, are you using an 8.4 inch UConnect?

ASarsano

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Occupation
SFC - 68W
Vehicle Showcase
Yes 8.4. I swapped the 8.4 in a few months ago from the 5”, my Jeep did not come with auto dimming mirror. But the radio always had the icon from when I installed it, just didn’t do any thing when I touched it. Once I installed the mirror ran the wires and touched the icon, the icon changed from white to orange and Auto-dimming works. Tested it with a light and on the road.

Last edited:

WarlockLord

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Worked with Joe from Z automotive on enabling the icon on the uconnect. He knew exactly what needed to be done and programmed mine using a bcm flash. He said it would be easy to incorporate into a future release. He also enabled off road pages on my self upgraded uconnect 8.4.

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
Worked with Joe from Z automotive on enabling the icon on the uconnect. He knew exactly what needed to be done and programmed mine using a bcm flash. He said it would be easy to incorporate into a future release. He also enabled off road pages on my self upgraded uconnect 8.4.
That is awesome to hear I’m still fighting trying to get my off-road pages working as well. So your mirrors is now working
Sponsored