Sponsored

OEM Alpine vs. price-equivalent aftermarket system

gspfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WK1 SRT8, Chevy Trailblazer SS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm currently an avid lurker, but plan on getting a 2 door JL Rubicon before too long. This post is for those of you with the Alpine system that also have experience with aftermarket systems, even in other vehicles.

I'm fairly confident I can build and install a system for the price of the Alpine upgrade that will sound better. Is the Alpine system good enough that you're happy with it? I can't decide if an aftermarket setup would be worth losing the Alpine touchscreen and built-in apps/system info.

What are your thoughts on this? I know I need to hit up a dealership and listen to one still....that's on my to-do list.
Sponsored

unit_ops

First Name
Hien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Iā€™ve listened to the Alpine system and I think it pretty good. I prefer factory for fit and finish. You might get more value from aftermarket but Iā€™ve seen some audio installs and they look terrible.

OP
OP
gspfunk

gspfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve listened to the Alpine system and I think it pretty good. I prefer factory for fit and finish. You might get more value from aftermarket but Iā€™ve seen some audio installs and they look terrible.
I agree there are some hack jobs out there. Iā€™d do it myself, plus, my wife would shoot me in the face if it was less than perfect ;)

Here are a few pics from my TBSS install. I had to fab up some adapters to fit the odd Bose cutouts.

BDB11F25-3308-4E90-AAD3-B24ADEA59D89.jpg
3D920D70-D568-4318-8423-44AF21656173_1.jpg
IMG_4432.jpg

F971E3F8-70A5-4EED-9208-0C6C72515E51.jpg

C2AC93FC-D26A-4B5D-BB1C-14D8846FC765.jpg

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
For me, it wasn't the upgraded stereo that I wanted. I like the bigger screen and the NAV system, the Weather map and the other apps that come with the upgraded system. When I add all of that up and include the alpine stereo, I felt it was worth the extra money. Plus I don't have to do the work to build and install it all. No regrets.

Plus I really do think the sound system is pretty good.

OP
OP
gspfunk

gspfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For me, it wasn't the upgraded stereo that I wanted. I like the bigger screen and the NAV system, the Weather map and the other apps that come with the upgraded system. When I add all of that up and include the alpine stereo, I felt it was worth the extra money. Plus I don't have to do the work to build and install it all. No regrets.

Plus I really do think the sound system is pretty good.
Thatā€™s my thinking, as well. I guess I need to go hear it so I can figure it out. Thanks!

Sponsored

unit_ops

First Name
Hien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
I agree there are some hack jobs out there. Iā€™d do it myself, plus, my wife would shoot me in the face if it was less than perfect ;)

Here are a few pics from my TBSS install. I had to fab up some adapters to fit the odd Bose cutouts.

BDB11F25-3308-4E90-AAD3-B24ADEA59D89.jpg
3D920D70-D568-4318-8423-44AF21656173_1.jpg
IMG_4432.jpg

F971E3F8-70A5-4EED-9208-0C6C72515E51.jpg

C2AC93FC-D26A-4B5D-BB1C-14D8846FC765.jpg
Clean work Bro!

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I had the 7" screen and just upgraded to the 8.4. If I knew it came with all the extras I would have definitely purchased it from Chrysler originally.

Lithograph

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
I also picked up the Alpine option because it included the larger screen and upgraded system. It's funny that you can add the Alpine as an option, but if you add the 8.4 Uconnect, it comes with the Alpine...for the same price. At least it did when I ordered my Jeep.

I'm a HUGE audiophile. I grew up with big systems since high school, all installed myself, and I have the constant tinnitus to prove it. :facepalm:

The vehicle I owned before this Jeep was a 2012 Mustang that I had bought with no audio upgrade. I've never been impressed with Ford's Shaker Audio, so I didn't buy it. Instead, I installed Rockford Fosgate system. 3-way components in the front, 2-ways in the rear deck lid (HUGE pain to install BTW), and two 10" Fosgate Punch subs in the trunk. It was a GREAT sounding system, and huge huge bass as you can imagine.

I knew going into the Jeep purchase that I'd sacrifice that big system. I had already started planning what I was going to do to help out the Jeep, because my previous Jeep (2005 TJ w/ the sub in the center console) was nowhere near what I wanted.

Then I went for a test drive in a 2-door Rubicon, and honestly, I was very impressed. The Alpine system is enough for me. I don't plan on upgrading any of it. The bass is good (and much more impressive than most factory systems), the mids and highs are good, and everything is hidden and factory installed, which is great also. I don't have an amp or custom box taking up precious room on a 2-door.

Obviously, the Alpine system pales compared to the aftermarket Fosgate setup I had, but I have to say, I really like it. While it certainly lacks in a few areas (I listen to heavy metal if that makes a difference), it really surprises me in others. That, as well as the flush-installed sub (in the floor of a 2-door), and the rest of the upgrades that come with that Uconnect setup, is worth it in my opinion.

All-in-all though, go test it out. Bring your phone/iPod/whatever, and just plug it in to the system. When I tested mine, I adjusted the equalizer and everything, with the dealer looking on. I wanted to be sure of what I was getting. I had it on a Sirius XM rock channel on my test drive, and Jon Bon Jovi's Blaze of Glory sounded great. :rock:

EDIT: If you bring an iPod or phone with music on it, don't forget to bring a cord to plug it in with!

OP
OP
gspfunk

gspfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I also picked up the Alpine option because it included the larger screen and upgraded system. It's funny that you can add the Alpine as an option, but if you add the 8.4 Uconnect, it comes with the Alpine...for the same price. At least it did when I ordered my Jeep.

I'm a HUGE audiophile. I grew up with big systems since high school, all installed myself, and I have the constant tinnitus to prove it. :facepalm:

The vehicle I owned before this Jeep was a 2012 Mustang that I had bought with no audio upgrade. I've never been impressed with Ford's Shaker Audio, so I didn't buy it. Instead, I installed Rockford Fosgate system. 3-way components in the front, 2-ways in the rear deck lid (HUGE pain to install BTW), and two 10" Fosgate Punch subs in the trunk. It was a GREAT sounding system, and huge huge bass as you can imagine.

I knew going into the Jeep purchase that I'd sacrifice that big system. I had already started planning what I was going to do to help out the Jeep, because my previous Jeep (2005 TJ w/ the sub in the center console) was nowhere near what I wanted.

Then I went for a test drive in a 2-door Rubicon, and honestly, I was very impressed. The Alpine system is enough for me. I don't plan on upgrading any of it. The bass is good (and much more impressive than most factory systems), the mids and highs are good, and everything is hidden and factory installed, which is great also. I don't have an amp or custom box taking up precious room on a 2-door.

Obviously, the Alpine system pales compared to the aftermarket Fosgate setup I had, but I have to say, I really like it. While it certainly lacks in a few areas (I listen to heavy metal if that makes a difference), it really surprises me in others. That, as well as the flush-installed sub (in the floor of a 2-door), and the rest of the upgrades that come with that Uconnect setup, is worth it in my opinion.

All-in-all though, go test it out. Bring your phone/iPod/whatever, and just plug it in to the system. When I tested mine, I adjusted the equalizer and everything, with the dealer looking on. I wanted to be sure of what I was getting. I had it on a Sirius XM rock channel on my test drive, and Jon Bon Jovi's Blaze of Glory sounded great. :rock:

EDIT: If you bring an iPod or phone with music on it, don't forget to bring a cord to plug it in with!
Thanks! It sounds like the Alpine upgrade will be worth it. Thanks for all the input, everyone!

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Simply upgrading the speakers in OEM locations could yield a noticeable improvement. While my JKUR has an aftermarket system in OEM locations and the OEM headunit, just upgrading the speakers themselves provides a cleaner crisper sound...you just need to be sure to get the same ohm rated speakers as OEM so that you maintain the power the OEM amp provides. The JK speakers are 2ohm.

OP
OP
gspfunk

gspfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is old, but I thought I should update it for all interested. I test drove several GC Trailhawks and JL Rubicons before deciding on the GC. Here are my conclusions:

1). Soundā€”The Alpine system is one of the better (best?) OEM audio systems Iā€™ve heard. I am completely happy with it in my GC and have zero plans to upgrade or change anything. It also has plenty of thump and I keep the Bass on the EQ around 1-2. The system on the JL was pretty much identical.

2). Integrationā€”Iā€™m thrilled that the sound is so good b/c I was worried what Iā€˜d lose if I went aftermarket with the stereo. The OEM integration is ridiculous (in a good way). Although I can control the A/C via buttons in the GC, EVERYTHING can go thru the head unit. I love it!

3). Backup Camā€”Youā€™d think these would also be the same... NOPE!! The image on the GC cam is ok, but not even close to the clarity of the JL. Thatā€™s my 1 area of disappointment.
Sponsored