First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
.......It is the best powertrain for the Wrangler, period.

Happened to stop at my local dealer and I saw a couple of diesels on their lot - a loaded Willys ($62000), a Sahara or Sport and a Farout edition ($71000+)

The diesel idle and engine sound, the seamless power delivery with the 8HP75 transmission, the turbo kicking in pretty quickly to pedal input. I thoroughly enjoyed my 20-25 minutes of time in the diesel in city and highway.

I owned a 2.0T Sahara, now in a 2.0T Willys, i have driven a rental V6 gas for 3-4 days and the 4xe. Not too interested in the big V8 in the Wrangler, since (IMO) it is a Dodge Charger/Challenger engine fitted into the Wrangler for a niche market.

For daily driving, fuel economy, long trips, off-roading, overlanding....There is one winner and that is the 3.0D by a mile.
What a pity that Stellantis decided to stop producing this combo.

I wish I'd gotten my current job with its pay bump a year earlier, so I could have strongly considered the diesel.
The $4-5000 upcharge and the cost of diesel in mid 2022 hamstrung my diesel Jeep dreams.
If I were placing a custom order this summer, I know I'd have gotten a diesel.

Those of you that have it, enjoy the heck out of it. You are truly lucky to be able to have one in your driveway :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
The EcoD is a heck of an engine. My Ram 1500 4x4 with the EcoD and a GDE tune easily breaks 30 mpg on the highway. Last road trip (600 miles) averaged 32.1 hand calculated-that was interstate with cruise at 72 mph. If they’d put it in a 2dr I’d be driving one today.

OP
OP

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
The EcoD is a heck of an engine. My Ram 1500 4x4 with the EcoD and a GDE tune easily breaks 30 mpg on the highway. Last road trip (600 miles) averaged 32.1 hand calculated-that was interstate with cruise at 72 mph. If they’d put it in a 2dr I’d be driving one today.
Guessing yours is a 2013-15MY RAM with the EcoD Gen I?

600 miles at 32.1 mpg on a 1/2 ton truck. I think your truck can tow 10k lbs too.
The numbers made me laugh. An engineering feat and customer preference sadly made history by rules and regulations.

mattb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW passat

Happened to stop at my local dealer and I saw a couple of diesels on their lot - a loaded Willys ($62000) and a Farout edition ($71000+)

The diesel idle and engine sound, the seamless power delivery with the 8HP75 transmission, the turbo kicking in pretty quickly to pedal input. I thoroughly enjoyed my 20-25 minutes of time in the diesel in city and highway.

I owned a 2.0T Sahara, now in a 2.0T Willys, i have driven a rental V6 for 3-4 days and the 4xe. Not too interested in the big V8 in the Wrangler, since (IMO) it is a Dodge Charger/Challenger engine fitted into the Wrangler for a niche market.

For daily driving, fuel economy, long trips, off-roading, overlanding....There is one winner and that is the 3.0D by a mile.
What a pity that Stellantis decided to stop producing this combo.

I wish I'd gotten my current job with its pay bump a year earlier, so I could have strongly considered the diesel.
The $4-5000 upcharge and the cost of diesel in mid 2022 hamstrung my diesel Jeep dreams.
If I were placing a custom order this summer, I know I'd have gotten a diesel.

Those of you that have it, enjoy the heck out of it. You are truly lucky to be able to have one in your driveway :)
I have a 2021 and love it. Does it get the EPA rated mileage…NO. Does it cost more at the pump…YEP. Do I have to put that stupid DEF in…YEP. Do oil changes cost more…YEP. Would I buy anything else??? NOPE

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
Well 2nd best but I appreciate the passion....

I thought alot about going diesel, but a few factors bothered me.....although performance of the engine itself wasn't one on them.

Went with the #1 best ever Wrangler engine.

BTW, many new diesels sitting on dealer lots unsold so it's not too late.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Well 2nd best but I appreciate the passion....

I thought alot about going diesel, but a few factors bothered me.....although performance of the engine itself wasn't one on them.

Went with the #1 best ever Wrangler engine.

BTW, many new diesels sitting on dealer lots unsold so it's not too late.
What made you go the 392 route ahead of the diesel? Just out of curiosity...

Yeah, I see a few diesels in a 100-mile radius from me. I need a few specific options in my Jeep for my driving habits/preferences and most of the dealer lot Jeeps don't have them unfortunately.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Guessing yours is a 2013-15MY RAM with the EcoD Gen I?

600 miles at 32.1 mpg on a 1/2 ton truck. I think your truck can tow 10k lbs too.
The numbers made me laugh. An engineering feat and customer preference sadly made history by rules and regulations.
‘16. 89k miles. The BEST truck I’ve ever owned. The little 3.0 is putting down power similar to what my 2000 7.3 Powerstroke in my F350 had, AND it’s running through 8 gears vs 4. Got better mileage with the EcoD Towing our Lance camper than my 5.7 Tundra got EMPTY🙄

ALeeL

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Everyone has their own preferences and what engine is best for them. No need to call people out just because his preferences are different than yours.

The 392 is undoubtedly an awesome engine for anyone who is looking for the best go fast performance possible, but it just isn't the best engine option for how many people use their Jeep. The 3.0L diesel is a perfect mix of performance and range with out worrying about having to carry fuel cans with you on long trails.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
You can always make the jump to the dark side and order a Diesel Gladiator for now, but better hurry before they pull the plug on that as well. I will never sell mine and there will never be another.

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What made you go the 392 route ahead of the diesel? Just out of curiosity...

Yeah, I see a few diesels in a 100-mile radius from me. I need a few specific options in my Jeep for my driving habits/preferences and most of the dealer lot Jeeps don't have them unfortunately.
No problem, you might want to extend your search radius if you have specific requirements.

So I was uncomfortable with several aspects of getting a diesel, which may or may not be reflective of others…..maybe it’s just me:

1. Would have been my first one, whereas I am very comfortable with gassers
2. Most of my go to gas stations didn’t have diesel
3. I was concerned about the fuel pump issue ( which was unsolved in July-Aug time frame
4. The low take rate of around 3% bothered me, was Jeep going to support it well, did other people know something I didn’t? I thought it should have been a big seller
5. The exhaust system seemed overly complicated with lots of possible failure points
6. Adding DEF just seemed like a hassle, and most seemed to be adding DEF way more often than Jeep said
7. Didn’t like the thought of the auto regeneration going off at random
8. Many diesel owners said it wasn’t a good choice for mostly short commute driving which is my intended use
9. Hated the diesel having auto start-stop, even more than the other engines……thank God the 392 has the fun button in the same spot as that dumb start-stop
10. The reviews were surprisingly mixed. Then, almost every 392 review was positive, and every one featured the reviewer smiling or laughing, just generally having a great time. So many of them called it the best Wrangler ever

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
No problem, you might want to extend your search radius if you have specific requirements.

So I was uncomfortable with several aspects of getting a diesel, which may or may not be reflective of others…..maybe it’s just me:

1. Would have been my first one, whereas I am very comfortable with gassers
2. Most of my go to gas stations didn’t have diesel
3. I was concerned about the fuel pump issue ( which was unsolved in July-Aug time frame
4. The low take rate of around 3% bothered me, was Jeep going to support it well, did other people know something I didn’t? I thought it should have been a big seller
5. The exhaust system seemed overly complicated with lots of possible failure points
6. Adding DEF just seemed like a hassle, and most seemed to be adding DEF way more often than Jeep said
7. Didn’t like the thought of the auto regeneration going off at random
8. Many diesel owners said it wasn’t a good choice for mostly short commute driving which is my intended use
9. Hated the diesel having auto start-stop, even more than the other engines……thank God the 392 has the fun button in the same spot as that dumb start-stop
10. The reviews were surprisingly mixed. Then, almost every 392 review was positive, and every one featured the reviewer smiling or laughing, just generally having a great time. So many of them called it the best Wrangler ever
1.) My first diesel here. Nothing really mind-blowing about making the switch.

2.) Costco is my go-to.

3.) Not an issue. Mine wasn't built during the recall timeframe.

4.) Lack of promotion | Many people simply did not / do not know it exists. Unless you're deep into the forums or YouTube rabbit hole, you would never know Jeep offered a diesel engine. I've only seen 3 diesel JL/JT's on the road in my 10 months of ownership -- my own included.

5.) No failures of any sort here :) .. if I ever do experience one, I'll likely go the route of a DEF/DPF delete. Whatever would be needed.

6.) Refilling your 392 will be a hassle, and infinitely more frequent than DEF. Also see #5

7.) Regens burn off soot, totally normal and not at all a hindrance to operation. ScanGauge can be used as a monitoring tool for the curious-minded. Also see #5

8.) They are simply wrong. My daily driving typically consists of about 11 miles. Sometimes less, sometimes more. My engine has never written me a hate letter over this.

9.) Tazer JL Mini solves this and other annoying features that effect every model of JL.

10.) Most of these Youtube influenza err.. INFLUENCERS, are more shill than thrill. Take their anecdotes with a grain of salt.

Jeep Wrangler 2021 Sales figures:
392's made in 2021: 7,315
Wranglers made in 2021: 204,609
Conclusion: For the year 2021, the 392 only equated to 3.57% of all Wrangler production.

iSeeCars current figures for Used Jeep Wranglers, model years 2021-2023:
Used 392's for sale: 141
Used Wranglers for sale (all models/trims): 515
Conclusion: This shows that the 392 JL equates to a whopping 27% of all used Wranglers. That's a pretty significant turnover rate. Especially for a trim option that makes up such a tiny percentage of the total sales figures.

For it to be "the best Wrangler ever" ... you gotta wonder why everyone's dumping the 392 so quickly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ode to the 3.0D: Test drove one and.... image

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.) My first diesel here. Nothing really mind-blowing about making the switch.

2.) Costco is my go-to.

3.) Not an issue. Mine wasn't built during the recall timeframe.

4.) Lack of promotion | Many people simply did not / do not know it exists. Unless you're deep into the forums or YouTube rabbit hole, you would never know Jeep offered a diesel engine. I've only seen 3 diesel JL/JT's on the road in my 10 months of ownership -- my own included.

5.) No failures of any sort here :) .. if I ever do experience one, I'll likely go the route of a DEF/DPF delete. Whatever would be needed.

6.) Refilling your 392 will be a hassle, and infinitely more frequent than DEF. Also see #5

7.) Regens burn off soot, totally normal and not at all a hindrance to operation. ScanGauge can be used as a monitoring tool for the curious-minded. Also see #5

8.) They are simply wrong. My daily driving typically consists of about 11 miles. Sometimes less, sometimes more. My engine has never written me a hate letter over this.

9.) Tazer JL Mini solves this and other annoying features that effect every model of JL.

10.) Most of these Youtube influenza err.. INFLUENCERS, are more shill than thrill. Take their anecdotes with a grain of salt.

Jeep Wrangler 2021 Sales figures:
392's made in 2021: 7,315
Wranglers made in 2021: 204,609
Conclusion: For the year 2021, the 392 only equated to 3.57% of all Wrangler production.

iSeeCars current figures for Used Jeep Wranglers, model years 2021-2023:
Used 392's for sale: 141
Used Wranglers for sale (all models/trims): 515
Conclusion: This shows that the 392 JL equates to a whopping 27% of all used Wranglers. That's a pretty significant turnover rate. Especially for a trim option that makes up such a tiny percentage of the total sales figures.

For it to be "the best Wrangler ever" ... you gotta wonder why everyone's dumping the 392 so quickly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ode to the 3.0D: Test drove one and.... image
Every body has different criteria, nobody needs to get wrapped around their axle.

I wish they HAD stopped 392 production at the same time the diesel ended…..two great engines riding off in the sunset together.

And for all those thinking it, yes a $90k cheap ass Wrangler is crazy, but I wanted the one with the highest fun factor.

Deleted member 59498

Jeep didn't advertise it.

Personally I would not pay 25 to 30k more on top of what I paid for my diesel just for a V8 gas engine.
Sponsored