Ode to the 3.0D: Test drove one and....

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I think a lot of people saying that owning a diesel was more expensive also hurt. People love complaining about the cost of DEF and oil changes.

DEF - 10k miles between refills and ~$30/refill. That's literally 1/3 of a penny per mile.

Oil change - I do my own, and my last one cost $56.75, INCLUDING the fuel filter replacement.

The ONLY thing that makes a diesel more expensive is the fuel cost.
Sponsored

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout
I think a lot of people saying that owning a diesel was more expensive also hurt. People love complaining about the cost of DEF and oil changes.

DEF - 10k miles between refills and ~$30/refill. That's literally 1/3 of a penny per mile.

Oil change - I do my own, and my last one cost $56.75, INCLUDING the fuel filter replacement.

I found real Mopat filters on ebay pretty cheap. They should be here today or tomorrow, including one fuel filter that will stay in the JLU for an emergency.

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

I think that the DEF estimate is very off... Depending on the use case...

I am at 16k on my Diesel, and I have put 9 jugs of DEF in it... Using it off-road a lot like I do really blows through the DEF. Sure, that still averages out to about 2 cents per mile of DEF but my point is that people who don't expect that there is more cost just focus on the negative.

For me, I love my Diesel because of how it drives more than anything. Sure I also know based on personal experience that I save some money in fuel cost** but long-term costs even doing my own maintenance etc will be more expensive.

** Fuel cost saved based on comparing the fuel economy I get driving a rental 2.0t Wrangler and using about 72% the quanity of fuel, with a net fuel savings of 15 cents per gallon at today's price at my local Costco comparing regular to Diesel.

ALeeL

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
It is not a fuel cost savings things for me, it is more of a range thing for me. Especially during deer season where my lease is 2.5 hours away and another 8 miles off road to get to the camp house. The closest fuel station is about an hours drive from the camp house which is 18 miles from the border.

Being loaded with supplies for the week. guns/ammo, my dog, and enough room to take back whatever I harvest leaves me little room for fuel cans. I don't like carrying anything external partly because the look and partly because the illegals will take it if they think it is useful. With the Ecodiesel's range, I can drive down there and back while still hitting a few trails on the property without worrying about fuel.

Same thing for the summer. We go kayaking and wade fishing in some pretty remote areas along the Texas coast and the last thing I want to worry about is fuel.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
It was more ruined by general (not just Stellantis) incompetence (things like the fuel pump issues) and apathy than rules and regulations.

Most people who bought a diesel got extreme sticker shock from things like maintenance cost, and increased fuel cost etc. Pair that with support (both mechanical and technical) that can be described as lackluster at best - and throw in a dash of market erosion from the Tool-Time-Tim-Taylors out there who saw the 392 and went "I like horsepower" (in a Frito Pandejo from idiocracy voice) and you have a perfect storm that is going to make it a bad market choice for Stellantis. The only "rules and regulations" impact is that the electrification of automobiles is gaining enough momentum that they are better focusing their engineering on the PHEV or full EV variants than what is very realistically a dieing breed of Diesel ownership in the US. I will say that EV will be the next best thing to Diesel for this platform due to its abundant torque, but it's still a long time before charging and storage infrastructure is ready to support an off-road EV.

(e) My statement above isn't an insult to 392 owners, but let's face it - there is a god majority of them who only like it for the state reason...
You get a like for the Idiocracy reference alone…..and anyone that hasn’t seen it really should, it gets more factual every year.

As a prospective 392 owner (6 months waiting….ugh) I don’t take offense to the I like horsepower statement…..because I do, although it will still be the lowest HP vehicle I own.

I’m willing to pay a huge difference because I wanted the most fun to drive option, not getting any younger and don’t want an overworked 4 cylinder, a boring 6 cylinder that can’t even be supercharged any more or a silly ev with a 20 mile range and 600 lbs of batteries.

No question had the 392 not been introduced, I would have hit the bullet on all the concerns on page 1 and gone diesel. Ironically, I have driven a diesel but not a 392 (Houston dealerships are comprised of the stupidest group of morons you will ever find).

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Especially during deer season where my lease is 2.5 miles away and another 8 miles off road to get to the camp house.
Well hells bells, even my 90s V-12, 7 mpg Lamborghini would have no trouble getting there.

ALeeL

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Well hells bells, even my 90s V-12, 7 mpg Lamborghini would have no trouble getting there.

I don't think a Lamborghini would be able to do the 8 miles to the camp house which is mostly washed out roads due to rain and a few rock garden areas. Also, it is not just getting there. It is getting there, traveling to and from the blind several times a day, having some fun on the dried up creeks beds and other trails on the place, and then driving back after a week or weekend of hunting.

My 2014 Rubicon that got 15-16 mpg with a 22.5 gallons fuel tank could not last a week without needing to bring extra fuel so I doubt a 7 mpg Lamborghini or a 13mpg JL 392 with a smaller fuel tank could.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
...a loaded Willys ($62000), a Sahara or Sport and a Farout edition ($71000+)
Jesus Christ, The only way I'd ever pay that much money for a vehicle, Is if it came with a 5-year/unlimited miles free recommended maintenance plan!

Maybe I'm just a cheapskate, but that's way too much money for new vehicle. Especially when it has all those fancy buttons and screens which I will never use. Give me a radio with Bluetooth, and they can keep all their fancy electronic nonsense.

More on point, diesels are amazing! Unless you live in California, at which point it's more of a question as to why you still live there.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
You still have that Lamborghini? I have a question for you if so...
Do you think a Cummins 6.7L diesel would fit inside the Lamborghini engine bay?

I've always wanted to buy a totaled out Lamborghini and drop a diesel engine in there and rebuild it from scratch. The more hick the better. I want to be the only guy on the farm with a diesel Lamborghini!

Sponsored

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd

A discount card really levels the fuel cost. Today in Michigan I can get diesel 3.64/gal!

ALeeL

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
You still have that Lamborghini? I have a question for you if so...
Do you think a Cummins 6.7L diesel would fit inside the Lamborghini engine bay?

I've always wanted to buy a totaled out Lamborghini and drop a diesel engine in there and rebuild it from scratch. The more hick the better. I want to be the only guy on the farm with a diesel Lamborghini!

Or you can put it in an old Nova like Ryan Miliken did. He is the one that tuned my 6.7L Cummins. I did all the turbo, manifold, fuel and other upgrades myself, but he did the computer work.

ALeeL

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD

Sorry, I just realized I put 2.5 miles instead of hours in my original post you quoted.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
I found real Mopat filters on ebay pretty cheap. They should be here today or tomorrow, including one fuel filter that will stay in the JLU for an emergency.
Let me know if they are OEM I’d be interested in grabbing a few, I always purchase from dieselfiltersonline great service and OEM

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, I just realized I put 2.5 miles instead of hours in my original post you quoted.
That is what prompted the reply…..was just goofing on what I figured was a mistake. While the Diablo IS awd, it isn’t at home outside of smooth tarmac.
Sponsored