Sponsored

Odd requirements at a certain dealership.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
Well that sucks. Not sure we have any good options left for getting a good deal on a Jeep in Washington anymore. I was going to cancel my present order and order from him but it looks like that's not an option anymore.
Kent Shurtleff at Peterson Jeep in Nampa, Idaho isn't too far from you..... best car buying experience I ever had and saved almost 12% of MSRP on my JLUR factory order.

well worth the $100 flight and fun road trip back home to So Cal breaking in the new Jeep
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Sorry to hear of your troubles.
No one should have to go through that amount of BS to buy a car.

IMHO, these stealerships should have their license pulled.
They clearly are there to rip off people off.
Thankfully, there are videos/websites that help educate folks on the BS that some stealerships use to rip folks off.

The worst part is that sales/finance folks try to be friendly and say stuff like what a great deal, we trying to help you, etc. and the the whole time they know they are lying. Those kind of sales folks rank right up their with spammers.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Oh the joy.

I had a 2018 Mazda 6 Signature, so I decided to get another Jeep Wrangler since I enjoyed my 2012 JKUR so much and missed it dearly so I decided to get another one regardless of the hit I will take on the Mazda. My wife at the time also wanted one, so it seemed like I could use this to get a better a deal. <- HaHaHa

She ended up with a '21 JL Sport S with lot of features like One touch sky roof and such, I found myself oddly liking the roof she was test driving and got a Willy's with it as well. They said they were going to work with me to give me equal equity on my trade to make the deal favorable. Thought that was amazing deal since it was a Mazda after all and those things do not retain value at all.

All was going good until they came back and said I "needed" to have a $6,000.00 warranty as the finance company requested it. I found this odd but did not care much as I thought out loud that I can just cancel it right after taking possession of the Jeep since I did not need it. The guy in finance said that would not work as I had to keep it for at least one year. Perplexed by that statement I showed hesitation to the deal as that was no small chunk of change to add to the out the door price, but desires about another Jeep already had me :/

I used my hesitation to get free ceramic window tint all around on both Jeeps since I really wanted a JL that day, and thought that maybe the warranty might come in handy, so I just got it.

After a few days I called the credit union and asked about that policy because it still bothered me and I wanted to know for the sake of knowing.

They said they have no idea what I was referring to and they, nor any other finance center that they know of makes requests like that.

So now I am perturbed, so I call the dealership back and inform them that there has to be some kind of mistake and that forcing the warranty on my contract made me feel like I was the victim of some shenanigans. They said that it was indeed required to make the deal and that I already signed the contract so there is nothing that can be done. I asked since my credit union did not require it, and that the contract does NOT say I have to keep it for a year, that I would like to cancel now for a full refund. These jokers flat out said they will not do that.

Now, me starting to get noticeably more upset I decided to end communication with the dealership and try a different method.
I called the company that held the warranty and said I wanted to cancel, they informed me that I had to go through the dealership to get it done, I explained my situation and to my surprise they were shocked and said that what they did was wrong as it clearly states in the contract that I could cancel anytime. The very nice representative filed it for me on my behalf and forced them to agree to the cancellation request.

Now, after months of waiting they finally sent an email agreeing to cancel it, but dang was it a stressful situation. I am more upset that they blatantly lied and misled me to get an extra $6k PER JEEP out of the deal.

The funny thing is, I buy a new vehicle every 2-3 years and planned on sticking with Jeep, but now I have to hunt for an honest dealership (If there is such a thing) elsewhere for my next one.

Oh well, their loss. I just feel that I would not be a good person if I let other potential Jeep buyers to fall into the same trap as I did, even though I should have known better... stupid temptation...

Don't know If I can name drop them, but beware of a Jeep dealership "somewhere" in south Austin, TX.

Also, what do you guys think? Is this a common thing now? I have never had a "good" experience at a dealership, its always been annoying or like pissing glass, nothing better. :(
I would have been out of there the minute they pushed extended warranty more than once (required or otherwise). It's ok to offer it, not ok to keep hounding you on it or requiring it.

Bad dealer. Lots of dealers out there, just shame them (yes I mean that, any crappy dealer deserves to be called out) and move on. Hopefully their tactics will make them learn how to be good dealers, or force them out of business.

For future reference, some states have a cool off period that you can cancel the deal within (x) days.

This is why people hate and don't trust dealers.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
This is why people hate and don't trust dealers.
They aren’t all bad or even all alike. The finance manager mentioned in this instance at this dealership looks like he was the sour puss.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
They aren’t all bad or even all alike. The finance manager mentioned in this instance at this dealership looks like he was the sour puss.
Totally agree. I had been terribly distrustful and had a dislike for dealers and service departments (with very good and repeated reasons) for many years up until I recently purchased my 392.

The Jeep dealer here in Holland Michigan (Crown Motors) was awesome in treating me fairly, listening to me, and being up front. They have started to change my tune assuming I continue to experience dealer behavior like this.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'll bet they sold you that damn Zurich extended warranty (really a "maintenance plan") garbage the dealers try to push on people instead of the Mopar warranty. My dealer tried that nonsense on me when I bought my JL earlier in 2020. Sat me down with the "finance guy" and walked me through how amazing the warranty was, even has a "paint guard" feature for a few buck more.
That was one advantage of buying the Jeep during a pandemic. Lined up everything via text messages. Test drove, negotiated in the parking lot, without setting foot inside the dealership.

Walked in to sign papers with the finance manager. I was in and out of there in 5 min - no exaggeration. No opportunity or attempt at shenanigan offers, that would not work anyway. Saved me the time to say several "not interested, thank you".

702Rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner
It's really incredible on the amount of dishonest Jeep dealers, it's kind of predatory due to American's want them so bad? Not really sure what is up. Out of 10+ years of buying cars, from Chevy to BMW, the "Jeep/Dodge/RAM dealers seem to be the most dishonest.
I just started the process of getting a Jeep. And the one local dealer I've contacted so far was terrible. 🤮
I had a Jeep before which I bought new. I don't recall that experience being particularly bad but it was several years ago.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Dennis Dillion
Report them to the CFPB. Even marketing solicitations and offers of credit are regulated. Omission of information found to be in violation of the law will result in fines. No business that has anything to do with consumer finance wants a visit from these guys.

Sponsored

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know. Crossing them off the potential list for the future lol.
that is nothing that should deter you from getting a great deal....if they're offering 10%+ off MSRP and all you have to do is that, that is simple and well worth it.

you can always just go refi it with your credit union and put what ever you want down towards the balance and start a new loan at how ever long you want from 36-84 months....they have to make their money somewhere, might as well let the banks subsidize your nice discount by playing the game and work the system.

This is how Kent does his deals and is very upfront about the process...max 5% down and finance with them, all they ask is you keep the loan 6 months, but really it is only three months before you can pay whole thing off if you wanted to without prepayment penalty and you could put what ever you want towards the principle before your first payment if you want to put like $20K down....

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for late reply.

The dealership is South Point Dodge in Austin, TX.

I already filed a complaint with corporate about the issue, waiting for reply.

In order to cancel this bogus warranty I am normally required to submit a request at the dealership, but they did not want to do it, so the company that held the warranty said they would bypass them since they were acting stupid.

I completely understand that this could not have happened without me going along with it, so I will just chalk it up to lessons learned, also I can now protect others from them as much as possible via other platforms.

I have been told about the legality of what they did several times now, and I am waiting to see what corporate says about the matter, but do yall think I should file suit against them?

I am basically all for doing anything possible to protect other Jeepers from this dealership.
If you weren't able to cancel the warranty, you'd have legal grounds to exit the agreement.

I mentioned the UCC prior, and in contract law, if you entered into an contract based on fraud or coercion (this qualifies as both) that contract is not enforceable.

However if this happens a lot the dealership, it feels like a lawyer could put together a class action lawsuit.

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
that is nothing that should deter you from getting a great deal....if they're offering 10%+ off MSRP and all you have to do is that, that is simple and well worth it.

you can always just go refi it with your credit union and put what ever you want down towards the balance and start a new loan at how ever long you want from 36-84 months....they have to make their money somewhere, might as well let the banks subsidize your nice discount by playing the game and work the system.

This is how Kent does his deals and is very upfront about the process...max 5% down and finance with them, all they ask is you keep the loan 6 months, but really it is only three months before you can pay whole thing off if you wanted to without prepayment penalty and you could put what ever you want towards the principle before your first payment if you want to put like $20K down....
That was bs . I flew to so cal and bought a 2021 loaded JLURD 68k msrp for 52k . 0% down and 0% finance . Dealerships are a service , not a necessity

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was bs . I flew to so cal and bought a 2021 loaded JLURD 68k msrp for 52k . 0% down and 0% finance . Dealerships are a service , not a necessity
wow! that is unheard of and just sounds wayyy too good to be true... most dealerships in SoCal not only charge full MSRP, they have side stickers that add $2-5K in "dealer add ons" that you have to haggle with...the go to dealer right now is Rob in Irvine and his best is 4% below invoice with tread lightly on factory orders.....

please tell us where and how you got a $68K JLURD for $52K with 0% financing with 0% down?

I will call them myself tomorrow to get me another one:like:

Last edited:

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
wow! that is unheard of and just sounds wayyy too good to be true... most dealerships in SoCal not only charge full MSRP, they have side stickers that add $2-5K in "dealer add ons"

please tell us where and how you got a $68K JLURD for $52K with 0% financing with 0% down?

I will call them myself tomorrow to get me another one:like:
I bought end of 2020 in December . I flew in ready to pay cash and they offered 0 down 0% finance . Free money is fine with me .
Sponsored