Odd Clutch Engagement Noise. HELP!

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
Maybe we can find videos. I’ve had four people with videos of the ACT “groan”.
OR do you have 4 people that recently had their clutch replaced?

Just because you had a master tech do it, doesn't mean they didn't screw something up.
Sponsored

OP
OP
justprentice

justprentice

First Name
Prentice
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys Sport 3.6L 6-speed
Occupation
Wilderness Paramedic
OR do you have 4 people that recently had their clutch replaced?

Just because you had a master tech do it, doesn't mean they didn't screw something up.
that would mean four completely different techs in different parts of the country did the install wrong on the exact same kit? What are the odds of that? Come on, now.

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
that would mean four completely different techs in different parts of the country did the install wrong on the exact same kit? What are the odds of that? Come on, now.
I'm just trying to point out there are other similarities that have to be considered. So far we have 4 out of 100s of kits that have been installed and the human factor has to be considered. I design automotive assembly fixtures for automotive suppliers that are meant to help remove or reduce the human factor in assembly. People make mistakes, and often they make the same one as another person on assemblies.

I'm not saying you're wrong or there isn't a defect, I'm just taking a logical approach. We have no data indicating that there ISN'T an installation error. There's nothing complicated or difficult on the install so I'm not saying it's likely, just that it's possible.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I'm just trying to point out there are other similarities that have to be considered. So far we have 4 out of 100s of kits that have been installed and the human factor has to be considered. I design automotive assembly fixtures for automotive suppliers that are meant to help remove or reduce the human factor in assembly. People make mistakes, and often they make the same one as another person on assemblies.

I'm not saying you're wrong or there isn't a defect, I'm just taking a logical approach. We have no data indicating that there ISN'T an installation error. There's nothing complicated or difficult on the install so I'm not saying it's likely, just that it's possible.
Good point. My *very* experienced mechanic had trouble installing mine. Blew two slave cylinders before getting it right.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Build Thread
Link
I Just wanted to state, that the let out sound was a recent development. I swapped to the ACT a few months ago. Installation was straight forward. Did all the checks Actman suggested in the clutch install thread on here.

Everything looked and felt great. Had a clutch slave slip once. Happened with 80 miles on the clutch. Have something like 5k on it now.

I'm probably going to bleed the clutch, and borescope the bellhousing again to look for anything weird.

Operation is still great, just a lil groan from a standstill on rubbing.

Sponsored

toothirtyj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Hellayella JL Willys, 3.6L/6MT, 4.10's
Occupation
LE
... Had a clutch slave slip once. Happened with 80 miles on the clutch...
Can you elaborate on what happened, what the effect on the clutch system was, and what you did to fix it?

Stabbing in the clutch slave cylinder was one of the things I took extreme care in doing, per @Actman 's advice, when I personally replaced my OEM clutch with the JP6 kit.

I had no issues re-installing the slave cylinder and subsequently flawless performance from my JP6 kit with nearly 5,000 miles of mostly urban city driving.

Hopefully your issue is easily resolved!

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Eric forwarded the video you sent and I looked it over. I have a few questions so will send you a PM to discuss. There is no reason to stop driving the vehicle as chevymitchell suggests.
2 guys advice I’m taking on this forum without a doubt, @chevymitchell and @wibornz .

My dad’s jeep is making the same noise now since the install.
Odd that you would suggest against @chevymitchell advice to stop driving immediately, unless you know for a fact its your product causing this.

Ironhorse

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Rubicon x 3.6. 6speed
Good point. My *very* experienced mechanic had trouble installing mine. Blew two slave cylinders before getting it right.
Thats faulty parts, not a faulty mechanic.

OP
OP
justprentice

justprentice

First Name
Prentice
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wilderness Paramedic
My dad’s jeep is making the same noise now since the install.
Odd that you would suggest against @chevymitchell advice to stop driving immediately, unless you know for a fact it’s your product causing this.
Do you think he could get a video? It’s apparent that the noise is being written off as a normal “annoyance”, and I’m not ready to accept that as the answer. It has been radio silence for the latter post of the week from ACT.

So far, six people with the exact same issue is not something I’m prepared to call installation error.

I’m about ready to have it ripped out, and have the Centerforce installed.

OP
OP
justprentice

justprentice

First Name
Prentice
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wilderness Paramedic

Sponsored

OP
OP
justprentice

justprentice

First Name
Prentice
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wilderness Paramedic
Thats faulty parts, not a faulty mechanic.
I agree. I waited until I found multiple people with the exact same scenario to make that conclusion, but I think there are enough to call it just that, now.

Last edited:

mudpup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL-MT
According to ACT, this noise is supposed to be more of an "annoyance", than being detrimental but I've never had this annoyance with an aftermarket clutch. I'm anxious to see a response from their team, knowing that four people have this issue with the same kit.
my CF II has no issues or noises installed last May over 8k miles ago.

I was worried with all the cheerleading for ACT but appears they now have a marcel annoyance issue with the clutch disc itself.

fczabala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR; X5
Clubs

I was worried with all the cheerleading for ACT but appears they now have a marcel annoyance issue with the clutch disc itself.
if you don't mind me asking, where in the northeast are you and who installed your CF?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
OP
OP
justprentice

justprentice

First Name
Prentice
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wilderness Paramedic

I have a quote for a CF II installation that I might be pulling the trigger on, but I’m anxious to see what @Actman thinks after catching up on this thread.
Sponsored