Odd behavior while Tazer JL is hooked up

Crinch

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
I’ve been having a weird issue with my Tazer JL and wanted to see if anyone else has seen anything similar. In early December I Updated my firmware to 11.3.3 using the auto update feature, the website said 11.3.2 was the current, but the software said it was updating to 11.3.3. a few days later I was sitting at a stop light and pressed the brakes hard while trying to get something out of my pocket. The brake light and traction control light on the dash flashed on and my brake pedal went soft. The light changed and when to pull over and as soon as I started to move the lights turned off and the brake pedal went back to felling normal. From there it would do that whenever I started the ignition or pressed on the brake petal hard while stopped (not if I slammed on the brakes while moving). Took it in to the dealer to get it fixed and had to remove the Tazer when I got there for them to hook up to it. They could not find any issues and sure enough when I picked up it worked fine and the issue was gone. I re-installed my Tazer the next morning and it started to happen again. After playing around for a while I finally figured out it only happens when the Tazer is hooked up. I thought maybe the firmware was buggy, so I backed it down to where it was before, but it still had the issue. So, I took it up to the newest 11.3.4, but still had the issue. I emailed Z Automotive on Dec 6th about it but have never heard back. Has anyone seen any odd behavior like this?
Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I’ve been having a weird issue with my Tazer JL and wanted to see if anyone else has seen anything similar. In early December I Updated my firmware to 11.3.3 using the auto update feature, the website said 11.3.2 was the current, but the software said it was updating to 11.3.3. a few days later I was sitting at a stop light and pressed the brakes hard while trying to get something out of my pocket. The brake light and traction control light on the dash flashed on and my brake pedal went soft. The light changed and when to pull over and as soon as I started to move the lights turned off and the brake pedal went back to felling normal. From there it would do that whenever I started the ignition or pressed on the brake petal hard while stopped (not if I slammed on the brakes while moving). Took it in to the dealer to get it fixed and had to remove the Tazer when I got there for them to hook up to it. They could not find any issues and sure enough when I picked up it worked fine and the issue was gone. I re-installed my Tazer the next morning and it started to happen again. After playing around for a while I finally figured out it only happens when the Tazer is hooked up. I thought maybe the firmware was buggy, so I backed it down to where it was before, but it still had the issue. So, I took it up to the newest 11.3.4, but still had the issue. I emailed Z Automotive on Dec 6th about it but have never heard back. Has anyone seen any odd behavior like this?
Do you have the "hold brakes at a red light " function enabled on the Tazer?

OP
OP
Crinch

Crinch

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
Do you have the "hold brakes at a red light " function enabled on the Tazer?
Not unless it’s enabled by default after you upgrade the firmware. I read something about it in the manual, but couldn’t find any real info on it.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Not unless it’s enabled by default after you upgrade the firmware. I read something about it in the manual, but couldn’t find any real info on it.
It's worth checking to see if it accidentally got enabled. That would explain at least some of what you are experiencing.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
I also updated to that firmware version (brand new Tazer) and that feature was on by default (which I found weird). I disabled it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I also updated to that firmware version (brand new Tazer) and that feature was on by default (which I found weird). I disabled it.
@johnbyron

That fairly new Tazer JL feature, has bitten / has caught a bunch of Tazer JL user's off guard .....for the reason you mention.. and understandably so..

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
Zauto should really make it off by default to stop scaring people half to death. It also defaulted to on for me on whichever firmware was newest back in August, and it got me good. The manual does not mention flashing dash lights or the break pedal going to the floor, it needs to be updated as well:
Jeep Wrangler JL Odd behavior while Tazer JL is hooked up 1642744695642

Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
OP
OP
Crinch

Crinch

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
OP
OP
Crinch

Crinch

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
I check this morning and sure enough Brake hold was on. I turned it off and it stopped. Z Automotive should pay a little more attention to their documentation. Maybe warn you that this is on by default and you dash will light up like a Christmas tree and give you a warning sound if you use it.

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
I check this morning and sure enough Brake hold was on. I turned it off and it stopped. Z Automotive should pay a little more attention to their documentation. Maybe warn you that this is on by default and you dash will light up like a Christmas tree and give you a warning sound if you use it.
I agree, especially because many people initially buy a Tazer to adjust tire size: I installed my Tazer right after adding bigger tires and all those lights scared me and made me think there was something wrong with the wheels/tires.

OP
OP
Crinch

Crinch

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
I agree, especially because many people initially buy a Tazer to adjust tire size: I installed my Tazer right after adding bigger tires and all those lights scared me and made me think there was something wrong with the wheels/tires.
It's an awesome product that has saved me a ton of money not having to take it to the dealer and has some great features that I can no longer live without. Their documentation just sucks.
Sponsored