JeepGA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone used this for their JK instead of the hardware tuners? I've been waiting for the JL version, which does require a security bypass.
Sponsored

kevrei

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punkin JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone used this for their JK instead of the hardware tuners? I've been waiting for the JL version, which does require a security bypass.
Hey JeepGA... New to the Forum as I just got my 2020 JLUR ...I just picked up a BTE 4.0 OBD2 adapter, the security cable and the JScan app for my 2020 JLUR.
The only thing I did so far was adjust the settings for tire size from my stock tires to 35's.

In total I have wrapped up about 75.00 in all the components and hope to get more out of it than my wheel size adjustment. The JScan app has alot to it but being a n00b to OBD2 and the JScan app for this, I need to research the settings for adaptations and what they actually are.

If anyone has some no brainier suggestions on changes that should/could be made, Please pass them along.
Ive been told I can adjust features for the DRL's and the like but when I go into the settings, there are a ton and they are not as initiative as I would think.

If anyone needs the links to what I purchased I can post them.

In addition, If anyone in the Denver area bought the app and adapter just to find out they needed the cable, hit me up and we can meet up so you can do a quick change in your settings using my bypass cable. Will save you 30-60 bucks if all you need is a quick 1 time change. You will need your own JScan app to set the settings with as it is usually VIN dependent licensing.

OP
OP
JeepGA

JeepGA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
In total I have wrapped up about 75.00 in all the components and hope to get more out of it than my wheel size adjustment.
I'm not a fan of proprietary hardware solutions when software is less expensive, more flexible, and easily upgradable. I've already got the hardware (smartphone) and a generic ODB adapter is cheap.

Glad to hear it's working. Probably how I'll go

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting this I was not aware it was an option.

Just tried this app for Android. I have an old ebay knock off ELM OBD adaptor and it communicates and passes the in app test if I hold the phone close to the adaptor. I also have a AEV Procal Snap that is extremely flakey(fits poorly in its housing and will lose contacts) unfortunately the bypass cable it comes with, which is 2 wires pinned into the back of the factory connecter and 2 wires that run to the star module behind the glove box, does not work with the Jscan software.

I went ahead and bought a license($21) and ordered a bypass cable($32) I mainly want to be able to turn off my tpms light and be able to adjust tire size and gear ratios without having to jiggle this junky procal in its housing to make contacts with its circuit board.

I may replace my obd adaptor which one did you buy? Is it this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Bluetooth-Scanner-Android-Compatible/dp/B06XGB4873

kevrei

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punkin JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting this I was not aware it was an option.

Just tried this app for Android. I have an old ebay knock off ELM OBD adaptor and it communicates and passes the in app test if I hold the phone close to the adaptor. I also have a AEV Procal Snap that is extremely flakey(fits poorly in its housing and will lose contacts) unfortunately the bypass cable it comes with, which is 2 wires pinned into the back of the factory connecter and 2 wires that run to the star module behind the glove box, does not work with the Jscan software.

I went ahead and bought a license($21) and ordered a bypass cable($32) I mainly want to be able to turn off my tpms light and be able to adjust tire size and gear ratios without having to jiggle this junky procal in its housing to make contacts with its circuit board.

I may replace my obd adaptor which one did you buy? Is it this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Bluetooth-Scanner-Android-Compatible/dp/B06XGB4873
@SpookyXJ - Yes thats the adapter I purchased.
It pretty easy to use the whole setup. I actually found that on the adaptations pages there is a help icon ( ? ) and it will give you some of the info on how to adjust that setting.

I set the wheel size and went for a drive...found that my speedo was 2 miles slower than GPS. Now ...i was using my iPhone and Waze for the GPS so it could be off on its calc of my speed. I did find in the help it suggested resetting the ECU's to be sure its all set up so I may go back and do it again.

Sponsored

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks just ordered one. Supposed to be here Monday.

I played around with the OBD device I have a bit more and think it might not be fully compatible so my current bypass cable may work. Tried adjusting tpms thresholds, turning off tpms, and changing tire size under the adaptations tab. It will read current settings but when I try to change the lights on my OBD tool flash for about one minute and then a get a dialog box on my phone that says "Fail something went wrong". I also frequently lose bluetooth connection.

kevrei

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punkin JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks just ordered one. Supposed to be here Monday.

I played around with the OBD device I have a bit more and think it might not be fully compatible so my current bypass cable may work. Tried adjusting tpms thresholds, turning off tpms, and changing tire size under the adaptations tab. It will read current settings but when I try to change the lights on my OBD tool flash for about one minute and then a get a dialog box on my phone that says "Fail something went wrong". I also frequently lose bluetooth connection.
@SpookyXJ - Yeah sounds like something is not right in the bypass to OBD2 adapter isnt working and communicating right. That is similar to what happened before I had my bypass cable. JScan actually flashed a msg on the initial connection page that said I had a SGW and how to order a cable and where to plug it in... Try with the iCar and IF the issue still happens, maybe return the 12+8 cable and try a different one. The PITA part is just getting the plugs for the SGW plugged back in for my big hands and fat fingers. too bad its so far up into that section of the dash that you have to yank the panel each time.

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have the 12+8 yet. I do have one ordered. I was trying with the bypass cable that comes with the AEV Procal Snap. The 2 pins go in the back of the factory OBD connector and the white plug goes in the green star connector behind the glove box. I wish it would work because I would never have to unplug it. Would have been nice to just spend the 21 bucks on the license.
AEV-37406015AA-ProCal-SNAP-Module-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Gladiator-JT_0.jpg

kevrei

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punkin JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have the 12+8 yet. I do have one ordered. I was trying with the bypass cable that comes with the AEV Procal Snap. The 2 pins go in the back of the factory OBD connector and the white plug goes in the green star connector behind the glove box. I wish it would work because I would never have to unplug it. Would have been nice to just spend the 21 bucks on the license.
AEV-37406015AA-ProCal-SNAP-Module-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Gladiator-JT_0.jpg

Yeah I think that may be why...the SGW ports are above the OBD2 ports and I know the stock port in not authorized to write to the CAN.
Sounds like the AEV setup may not be actually bypassing the SGW...I dont know enough about that product to say though.

upload_2020-1-4_21-16-18.png

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
AEV claims it will work with other OBD devices Quote from their product page:

"The JL Wrangler and Gladiator both have a security gateway module installed from the factory. In order to bypass the security gateway module, there are two options: install a bypass module or install the AEV Programming harness. It’s much easier to install the harness which gives enthusiasts a direct connection to their vehicles communication system for the ProCal or any device utilizing the OBDII Connector with the AEV adapter. This system retains the factory security gateway module to protect you from a remote attack through the radio or cellular connection."

I'll find out Monday.

Sponsored

kevrei

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punkin JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
AEV claims it will work with other OBD devices Quote from their product page:

"The JL Wrangler and Gladiator both have a security gateway module installed from the factory. In order to bypass the security gateway module, there are two options: install a bypass module or install the AEV Programming harness. It’s much easier to install the harness which gives enthusiasts a direct connection to their vehicles communication system for the ProCal or any device utilizing the OBDII Connector with the AEV adapter. This system retains the factory security gateway module to protect you from a remote attack through the radio or cellular connection."

I'll find out Monday.

That would be great if it kept the SGW and allowed the OBD2 adapter to write to the CAN.
I figure Ill gather my changes up...connect and write....and leave it for a few days in case I need to revert or change...then pull it.
I hope I dont need it so much that I wish it was always connected. TPMS adjustments aside for on/off road....

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
OK its the cable. Jscan wont clear codes or make changes with the AEV bypass cable. Got the 12+8 and the vgate scanner today and my annoying tpms light is off. I really like the interface so much easier to change things with this device and software and you can't beat the price.

Tried the procal snap on the old cable and its shows green like it has a good connection but flashes a blue error fault when you try to program with it. It worked fine when I did my tires a few months ago other than the back cover tends to pop off and trip every code imaginable.

OP
OP
JeepGA

JeepGA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just got my VEEPEAK ODBCheck BLE+ adaptor and bypass cable today. Zeroed in my tire size (which was running about 3mph high at highway speed) and deactivated the fog lamp drop on high beams. Worked great! I don't know why there is still a market for proprietary hardware. It just makes no sense. Oh, there is no light show, that's it. Bummed.

Now I need to find more things to mess with.
Sponsored