October 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sales Figures - Sets CYTD Record

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Man... Fiat is in a death spiral. I LOVED my 500 (it was a really fun car to drive) but owning one was enough.
Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Brian A. Johnson - Barclays Capital, Inc.

And then, as we roll into 2019, how much of this is early adopters going out and buying the highest mix Jeeps and the highest mix Rams versus repositioning those products at what should be stronger mix and stronger price points, or – and kind of the rest of the lineup, the refreshed Cherokee, et cetera, moving up in terms of mix and price?

Michael Mark Manley - Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV

This is Mike. I think that what we're seeing actually is the strategy that we put in place beginning to play out in the marketplace. Our average transaction price now on Light Duty is up significantly and it's been stable for the last few months, which suggests that, in my mind, we are gaining share in the right parts of the segment, which is exactly what we wanted to do.

In terms of how we progress next year in our margins, remember, one of the points I didn't touch on earlier is that very early next year, we launch our all-new Heavy Duty. Today, we have the oldest Heavy Duty out there. And the new Heavy Duty is equally equipped to be a segment leader in my opinion. So I think that we're seeing a permanent improvement in our transaction prices. Obviously, it may be moderated somewhat, but then it will be bolstered by Heavy Duty coming into the market and those early adopters for that driving our transaction prices up as well.

I think that, for me, the volumes that we're seeing now, I believe, are going to be sustainable into the future for two reasons. Firstly, even if you see a mitigation in Wrangler volumes in the U.S., what we haven't done is fully open up to our international markets. We deliberately allowed the U.S., Canada, to some extent, Mexico, to a lesser extent, to be first really for this. So, now, we're just opening up to our other markets.

I think the dynamic that we'll create next year when we launch the Wrangler pickup truck, which you know is planned second quarter next year, that dynamic is going to be interesting for us to watch because there are many Wrangler buyers, I think, that have indicated, yes, I would look at the pickup truck in my fleet instead of Wrangler, but we've built all of that in terms of our flexibility that we could do between our two plants when we agreed that investment.

So international markets will be opened up. That will underwrite Wrangler volumes. Truck will come on stream and I think we've got the flexibility we need. And Wrangler pickup truck, it's whitespace for us, and it's a segment that has grown significantly, so very much looking forward to seeing that vehicle in that market.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/42...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
I have no crystal ball to into the future, but the now revered JK was a total turd when it was introduced. The dealers couldn't givethem away. No self respecting "Jeeper" wouldbuy one.....and look what happened to the JK.

Time will tell for the JL and I'm going to enjoy mine.

The point made about pricing is a valid one I think.....and it applies to the entire car/truck market. I just wonder when the pickup craze will end. You can now buy a $70,000 1/2 ton pickup.....who is buying these. I worked hard my whole life, saved some money, and am very comfortable now in retirement. I am fortunate in this respect, but a $70,000 1/2 ton is not in the cards for me.

At some point, people will stop buying these Jeeps and trucks, and the prices will have to drop. As long as people continue to buy them, prices will remain high.

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
Ok then, long post to say Jeep Wrangler sales have leveled off and at this point are actually dipping below last year.
Bill, where does it say that? I swear, you and I are reading different threads. And VNT, thanks for wading through that and providing the relevant part.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know about the rest of you but I don't want to pull up to every traffic light and see a Wrangler at every corner, I like the uniqueness.
We have far passed that point in most areas that I have been in at least the last 5-6 years.

Sponsored

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. I get you, I’m just saying the Jeep Wrangler sales are declining and people are way over thinking it. It’s almost as if they are insulted that the Wrangler, now that the hype is over, is not selling as well as it was when it first came out.
I expect them to slow a bit but I bet they will stabilize, even without counting the international sales, as people see more on the trails and in town and like them. I haven't watched sales for the JK very closely but I can see by the numbers on the streets that they didn't decrease much here, even toward the end of an 11 year run. You will see new Jeepers coming into the market every day. The truck will account for a bit of a spike once they begin with those but I do know of a number of people around here that are contemplating going from their older models to newer and even 2 door to 4 door. I don't see the numbers dropping off as harshly as some may think. That being said, I have been watching a 2 door on a lot here that matched all of the specs desired with some extras and they weren't willing to work enough so I just ordered a new one using the TL discount instead. Theirs has been sitting for two months and I won't be surprised if it is still sitting there when mine comes in. However, I will still have the Jeep that I want and was willing to trade my TJ in for.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
Huge increase when the JL was released and they continued selling the JK, then the market normalized. No big deal. Wranglers are still awesome and have no real competition in the market, at least not yet...

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
here is my take:
1, Wrangler has clear seasonal pattern that sell more in Spring summer than fall and winter, seasonal drop #1
2, JL attract many jeep die hard, and dealer have to provide big rebate to clear JK, so total sales is up for both JL/JK simultaneously. Now only JL is available, cheap JK is all gone forever. hence sales drop due to mix change.
3, there are already bunch of recalls, people other than die-hard guys want to wait rather than paying 40k to be a beta trial.

It's better to wait for 2019/2020 winter time to get a JL, then, FCA clean much of their mistakes, and toledo probably resume normal shift (I prefer my jeep built in regular shift with worker had proper sleep, LOL), and dealer had enough stock to pick.
Sponsored