October 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sales Figures - Sets CYTD Record

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara, C-182 Skylane
Look at Sept 2017 vs Sept 2018 sales. About flat.

15,714 vs 15,983 wranglers sold

Look at Oct 2017 vs Sept 2018 sales. Down a tiny bit.

13,391 vs 13,318 wranglers sold.

This is a pretty abrupt deceleration in sales from previous months. There could be any number of reasons.
Yep, the hype is now gone for the new JL, the only thing now going up is the price, sales are going down down down. Lol
Advertisement

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler sales history

24CA62AD-74B1-467F-8BEB-D6553BFF4598.jpeg
Look at when numbers shot up from 2015, Feb thru Aug when the new JL hype was in full bloom. Now that it’s gone and the prices are on a steady rise sales are leveling off and falling. Looks like the gravy train is over, like I previously said, won’t be long before Wrangler rebates start, probably summer 2019.

grapejuice

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Not to throw water on the FCA hate train here but car sales across nearly every brand is down 10% so being 73 off of last October isn't a sky is falling scenario. Predictions for car sales in general across the whole industry are dismal with interest rates going up and possible tarriffs. True, I wish mine was cheaper but the JL has made some big improvements over the JK and nothing is for free.

zamboniman

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Like my local dealer who tried to sell me a Sting Gray Rubicon 2 months ago. Claimed it wouldn't last long and that other dealers were begging to trade it as everyone wanted that color. They wouldn't budge on pricing since (2 months ago) 2018 production had stopped and 2019 was gearing up so supply was extremely limited. Long story short I excused myself right out the door and told him to call me when he comes to his senses. Same dealer that does a lot of volume and was very aggressive on my Grand Cherokee pricing. Anyway, that Rubi that wouldn't last long is still on the lot along with the other 4 or 5 Rubis that were parked next to it 2 months ago. Sooner or later they will figure it out. When the buzz is over, and hopefully some of the early bugs are resolved, I'll revisit them and see where they stand.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to throw water on the FCA hate train here but car sales across nearly every brand is down 10% so being 73 off of last October isn't a sky is falling scenario. Predictions for car sales in general across the whole industry are dismal with interest rates going up and possible tarriffs. True, I wish mine was cheaper but the JL has made some big improvements over the JK and nothing is for free.
I don't know when you are selling over 10,000 units a month more than you were last year at the same time and now you are 73 below it looks a little bit like more than just a lull to me. Hey look, I already have mine as I got it in January as one of the first to come out and absolutely love it. And honestly I have no skin in the game and could care less how many of anything FCA sells. That said if you want one like mine you will now pay $2800 more than I did, that is if you could get a 2018, who knows what a 2019 will cost!

WXman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So....

For those of us who are leasing, this makes our deals look very interesting. On one hand, since Wrangler sales numbers are going to start declining that means fewer new Wranglers will be on the road which one would think will keep our resale values high. On the other hand, as FCA (stupidly) continues to drive Wrangler prices up alienating a lot of buyers, they may start to realize that heavy rebates and incentives are required to clear inventory which will decrease resale value of used models.

It's going to be very interesting to see how this dynamic plays out in the real world over the next 36 months. We may end up hitting the jackpot or we may get screwed.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
+2% September vs 2017
-1% October vs 2017

Not exactly stellar numbers. Are we starting to see a trend?
FCA cant be doing too bad, sales up 16% and on allpar, the figure was 80% retail not tons of Fleeet other manufactueres dump their turds so as to keep the plant running but make no money on the fleet untis which then drags down residuals and resale value.

What are the others going to do when the new JT kicks in, also as they ramp up the new Ram, and start rolling out all the other stuff coming in the next two years, good to see them steeling market share because they have the guts to build stuff people want versus appliance cars no one cares about anymore, good to see!

• Jeep rose 9% to 72,800
  • Ram rose 14% to 54,542, its best October, on the back of a 20% gain in Ram 1500 sales
  • Dodge rose 38% to 33,872
  • Chrysler rose 21% to 13,289, with a Pacifica record
  • Alfa Romeo climbed 44% to 1,737, more than half of which were Stelvios

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FCA cant be doing too bad, sales up 16% and on allpar, the figure was 80% retail not tons of Fleeet other manufactueres dump their turds so as to keep the plant running but make no money on the fleet untis which then drags down residuals and resale value.

What are the others going to do when the new JT kicks in, also as they ramp up the new Ram, and start rolling out all the other stuff coming in the next two years, good to see them steeling market share because they have the guts to build stuff people want versus appliance cars no one cares about anymore, good to see!

• Jeep rose 9% to 72,800
  • Ram rose 14% to 54,542, its best October, on the back of a 20% gain in Ram 1500 sales
  • Dodge rose 38% to 33,872
  • Chrysler rose 21% to 13,289, with a Pacifica record
  • Alfa Romeo climbed 44% to 1,737, more than half of which were Stelvios
I think the whole point of what others have said is that Jeep Wrangler numbers are down since the initial hype of the JL has worn off and prices continue to move upward.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
The sales are down becasue capacity is now down, they have 1 plant making them, not two, think with your dipstick Jimmy! Capacity matters.

Once they get the 2nd line running the JT trucks they can switch back and forth, plus they will start pumping Wranglers out to other markets.

Oh, good to see Jeep and Pacifica outsold all Toyota

Jeep+ Pacifca outsold Toyota van-cuv-suv
82,077 vs 72,114.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The sales are down becasue capacity is now down, they have 1 plant making them, not two, think with your dipstick Jimmy! Capacity matters.

Once they get the 2nd line running the JT trucks they can switch back and forth, plus they will start pumping Wranglers out to other markets.

Oh, good to see Jeep and Pacifica outsold all Toyota

Jeep+ Pacifca outsold Toyota van-cuv-suv
82,077 vs 72,114.
Lots are full of unsold Jeep Wrangler JL's, probably be able to get some good rebates by Christmas or Springtime at the latest.

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB
Man... Fiat is in a death spiral. I LOVED my 500 (it was a really fun car to drive) but owning one was enough.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys there is really no need to fret over the declining Wrangler JL sales from just a few short months ago. I mean seriously this is a good thing, makes your Jeep more unique, makes Jeep work harder, maybe FCA will even think harder when it comes to future price increases. Don't know about the rest of you but I don't want to pull up to every traffic light and see a Wrangler at every corner, I like the uniqueness.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brian A. Johnson - Barclays Capital, Inc.

And then, as we roll into 2019, how much of this is early adopters going out and buying the highest mix Jeeps and the highest mix Rams versus repositioning those products at what should be stronger mix and stronger price points, or – and kind of the rest of the lineup, the refreshed Cherokee, et cetera, moving up in terms of mix and price?

Michael Mark Manley - Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV

This is Mike. I think that what we're seeing actually is the strategy that we put in place beginning to play out in the marketplace. Our average transaction price now on Light Duty is up significantly and it's been stable for the last few months, which suggests that, in my mind, we are gaining share in the right parts of the segment, which is exactly what we wanted to do.

In terms of how we progress next year in our margins, remember, one of the points I didn't touch on earlier is that very early next year, we launch our all-new Heavy Duty. Today, we have the oldest Heavy Duty out there. And the new Heavy Duty is equally equipped to be a segment leader in my opinion. So I think that we're seeing a permanent improvement in our transaction prices. Obviously, it may be moderated somewhat, but then it will be bolstered by Heavy Duty coming into the market and those early adopters for that driving our transaction prices up as well.

I think that, for me, the volumes that we're seeing now, I believe, are going to be sustainable into the future for two reasons. Firstly, even if you see a mitigation in Wrangler volumes in the U.S., what we haven't done is fully open up to our international markets. We deliberately allowed the U.S., Canada, to some extent, Mexico, to a lesser extent, to be first really for this. So, now, we're just opening up to our other markets.

I think the dynamic that we'll create next year when we launch the Wrangler pickup truck, which you know is planned second quarter next year, that dynamic is going to be interesting for us to watch because there are many Wrangler buyers, I think, that have indicated, yes, I would look at the pickup truck in my fleet instead of Wrangler, but we've built all of that in terms of our flexibility that we could do between our two plants when we agreed that investment.

So international markets will be opened up. That will underwrite Wrangler volumes. Truck will come on stream and I think we've got the flexibility we need. And Wrangler pickup truck, it's whitespace for us, and it's a segment that has grown significantly, so very much looking forward to seeing that vehicle in that market.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/42...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

Advertisement

Tazer JL - Z Automotive

Advertisement