Sponsored

Ocean Blue: black or body-colored top & fenders?

For Ocean Blue JLUR specifically, which do you prefer:

• Total voters

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
I know there are tons of threads here with opinions of black vs. painted tops and fenders, but I think the choice is very different for different paint colors.

I'm ordering Ocean Blue JLUR, and would like to hear opinions specific to that color on which you think is better... if you're an owner, why'd you pick what you did, and if doing it again would you change?

QFmwpUkpd2LWBoMsXawXAlgJ2rlM48&&pov=position11&width=1944&height=1052&bkgrnd=white&resp=jpg&cut=.jpg
QFmwpUkpd2LWBoMsX0wXAlgJ2rlM48&&pov=position11&width=1944&height=1052&bkgrnd=white&resp=jpg&cut=.jpg
%250QFmwpUkpd2LWBoMsXawXAd%25j&&pov=position11&width=1944&height=1052&bkgrnd=white&resp=jpg&cut=.jpg
%250QFmwpUkpd2LWBoMsX0wXAd%25j&&pov=position11&width=1944&height=1052&bkgrnd=white&resp=jpg&cut=.jpg

Thanks!
Sponsored

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
At first I thought black top black fenders. Prefer black top and if you want to sell/trade later it will be easier. Changed my mind on fenders, I think colored fenders won't fade and scuff like black plastic. Paint should protect the fenders better.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
My vote: Black top / painted fenders. Just a personal preference, I like unpainted black tops on Wranglers! Another thing... the painted top rarely seems to quite match the body color since they are painted separately. With the continuous angles and lines of the top next to the body, slight variations in color are easy to see. On the painted fenders, because of the 90 degree angle next to the body, a slight variation in color is next to impossible to detect.

Also, in the past, with my other 2 Wranglers (2002 and 2012) with black plastic fenders, they seemed to fade within 6-9 months in the hot Texas sun. This required some type of treatment, like Armor All or something similar to keep them from looking grey and faded. Maybe the plastic used today is more durable than the past, just not sure.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I went with painted fenders and a painted top on my JK, and am on the fence about doing so again. They do have the advantage of not fading to gray! However, I have a handful of spots where the paint chipped off. I must admit my Jeep has to sleep in the driveway at night, unfortunately, and it doesn't get the best detailing in the world lol. On the other hand, the paint on the body is just about perfect and very durable!
Anyway, I do think the painted fenders look a lot better. As for the top, hmm.. I don't know. It's another $1000, but when you consider how much painting a car is - forget about getting the black top painted for $1000 and having it look good lol.
Still, it's more money, and I kinda don't want to, lol.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Personal preference, but since you asked opinions. I think the black top/fenders look better when it's a higher contrast (white, lightest grey, yellow, mojito). The blue looks darker, especially in late-day lighting. Therefore I would go with the body color on both. However one thing worth noting: if you plan to ever put aftermarket fenders on the Jeep (as many owners do), you are paying for nothing. Another note: the body color hardtop is the same aluminum as the Jeep, but the black hardtop is fiberglass: it gets HOT in direct sunlight. This can be an issue if you plan to try to remove it by hand in the afternoon.

Sponsored

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
When I was about to order my Ocean Blue I thought the black top with black fenders looked the best, but I wanted a Sahara so had to go with the painted fenders. Fast forward to today and I love the painted fenders with the black (soft) top. No regrets.

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
I have a Moab (body colored fenders and hard top) with dual top group. With all the black accents on the Moab, the Jeep looks great both ways, but I do prefer the look with the body colored top.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I think black top with painted fenders looks best on that. The blue is a darker color so the black fenders don’t contrast much with the paint. In comparison, my Mojito is a lighter color and I feel the black fenders makes the Mojito pop even more. I don’t think that’s the same with darker colors personally.

Either way, they all look good. It’s an embrassment of riches :)
Sponsored