Sponsored

Occasional Smoke at Start Up???

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
sounds like water build up in the exhaust system. if you baby it all the day every day, and dont goose and go once in a while, on a highway, then yeah... you are probably getting lots of abnormal carbon buildup in exhaust as well as the moisture.
just my opinion
Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I had a 2016 JK Rubicon that had an intermittent exhaust smoke issue at cold starts. The smoke was burning oil smoke and not moisture related. This happened on hot days and was immediately puffing out of the exhaust and was hanging around in my hot garage.

From my personal experiences I know that valve stem seals, or valve guide seals as some have called them, can be a leading cause of the bluish oil burning smoke at cold starts. Keep in mind this is not an absolute. An engine can get oil introduced to the combustion chambers through the crankcase ventilation system and once it's there it may not be apparent until an engine sits for hours and then it is cold started. Check the easy and free stuff first such as oil misting through that crankcase ventilation system.

One thing that will be easy to identify and is also a warranty issue is poor ring sealing. It causes blow by and a buildup of crankcase pressure which aggravates a poorly designed PCV system such as in our Jeeps. it shows up in compression tests and can even be seen as abnormal volumes of escaping smoky pulses from the crankcase if you disable the PCV system.

itsooh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW335i, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Hello, I have same issue with mine as well.
I have 2021 JLU Rubi, 2.0.
Getting white smoke at startup for 5min and it goes away. Then if it parked for sometime it happens again. It started during the winter time so I was thinking because of cold weather.
But it started again today and today is not cold at all.
I will take to the dealer and will see what they say. Hope it is simple issue. ><

itsooh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW335i, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Update.
A mechanic at the dealer said it is normal for 2.0 engine.
I showed him the video because I think it is too much smoke.
But he said it normal. He has same car with 2.0 engine and have same smoke.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
My JLU Sport S has a little over 1500 miles on it. I DO NOT drive it hard. Actually most would say that I'm pretty easy on it because I'm always keeping fuel economy in mind. Today I remote started it (which I rarely do) and I saw a decent sized cloud of smoke float out from behind it as I was walking up to it. This is pretty disturbing to have happen on a brand new vehicle. Anyone else experiencing this or know anything about it? I intend to talk to the service manager at my dealership about it tomorrow but I thought I would ask around in here before I heard whatever excuse he might give me.
I recall seeing this once a while back . BOUT 9K MILES !!Boy a million thoughts went racing through my noggin. Haven't seen it since though..

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Update.
A mechanic at the dealer said it is normal for 2.0 engine.
I showed him the video because I think it is too much smoke.
But he said it normal. He has same car with 2.0 engine and have same smoke.
Normal... it's what they always say. Nothing wrong here move along .. dealer jargon

acacia052

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited jl
So my situation is similar, but different circumstances. I have 25k on mine and just noticed it, probably because I’m not standing by the exhaust when I start it. It happens on start up when the engine is warm. I change my oil every 3k miles because I don’t trust anything and have never noticed any consumption, but any blow by is bad. Guess it’s in to the dealer to check valves and pcv
Sponsored