Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I'm glad I saw this thread. This has happened to me twice. First time was after the first oil change (5K miles). Second time was this week, at 13K miles. Distressing!

IDK what to do. @JeepCares what do you suggest?
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm glad I saw this thread. This has happened to me twice. First time was after the first oil change (5K miles). Second time was this week, at 13K miles. Distressing!

IDK what to do. @JeepCares what do you suggest?
Thank you for alerting us of this issue. We recommend scheduling an appointment with your Jeep dealer for a diagnosis. Once you have an appointment set, please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer so that we can have a case escalated to the Jeep Wave Team for support!

Darlene
Jeep Cares

tadjones

First Name
Tad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Hi, We had this same issue with our 2018 JLU this morning. It has the 3.6L V6 and only has 7,637 miles on it. We purchased it new from the dealership. We usually park it in our garage but we left it outside last night and it did get fairly cold. It was about 11 degrees Fahrenheit this morning. When we started it this morning a huge plume of blueish grey smoke was belching out of the exhaust pipe and wafted through the air. My wife and I were both in disbelief as the Jeep has such low mileage. I did an internet search and came across this forum and thread. We will let the dealer know as many have suggested on this thread & see what they recommend. Have you guys figured out what is causing this in the 3.6L Wrangler Engines? Does it work itself out as the engine gets more miles on it & gets broken-in or does it mean we have to get a "New Engine" for the Jeep or have they determined it to be faulty valves. It definitely seems like somehow oil is getting into the combustion chamber. Looks like some have said it could be getting past the rings or it could possibly be something totally separate with the injectors? Looks like lots of different possible causes of this condition on this thread and just wondering if it has been narrowed down to one particular item. Any additional information is much appreciated. @JeepCares do you have any more insight into this issue? Thank You, Tad

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi, We had this same issue with our 2018 JLU this morning. It has the 3.6L V6 and only has 7,637 miles on it. We purchased it new from the dealership. We usually park it in our garage but we left it outside last night and it did get fairly cold. It was about 11 degrees Fahrenheit this morning. When we started it this morning a huge plume of blueish grey smoke was belching out of the exhaust pipe and wafted through the air. My wife and I were both in disbelief as the Jeep has such low mileage. I did an internet search and came across this forum and thread. We will let the dealer know as many have suggested on this thread & see what they recommend. Have you guys figured out what is causing this in the 3.6L Wrangler Engines? Does it work itself out as the engine gets more miles on it & gets broken-in or does it mean we have to get a "New Engine" for the Jeep or have they determined it to be faulty valves. It definitely seems like somehow oil is getting into the combustion chamber. Looks like some have said it could be getting past the rings or it could possibly be something totally separate with the injectors? Looks like lots of different possible causes of this condition on this thread and just wondering if it has been narrowed down to one particular item. Any additional information is much appreciated. @JeepCares do you have any more insight into this issue? Thank You, Tad
So sorry to hear this, tadjones! We do suggest that you visit your dealer as soon as possible for diagnosis. From there, please send our team a private message and let us know the outcome. We can then decide how to proceed.

Kate
Jeep Cares

tadjones

First Name
Tad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was hoping this morning it might not produce the smoke cloud but it did it again. Here is a video of the blue smoke when it is first started this morning. This is in a heated garage. Yesterday it was not in the garage and there was more blue smoke. It runs for a bit with the blue smoke and then the smoke will turn to a white/grey colored smoke. Once it turns to white/grey it really makes a huge cloud of smoke. I called the dealership that we purchased the Jeep from and they didn't seem too interested in helping us with the issue and recommended a different Jeep dealer that is closer to our location. Their reasoning was that they thought the engine might not make it all the way to the dealership where we purchased the Jeep from.

Attachments

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I stood behind mine, and hit remote start. Not a puff of anything out the exhaust. So far, so good.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Pretty much looks like mine when it's cold, not worried about it......

tadjones

First Name
Tad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealership inspected it. They said the blue smoke is caused by the ā€œVariable Valve Timingā€ on the 3.6L V6 engine and the white smoke is actually steam produced from condensation building up in the exhaust system. Weird that our 1999 XJ with the 4.0L in-line 6 does not do that when parked and started right next to the JL after sitting overnight for the same amount of time but I will take their word for it and I do realize they are totally different engines with different emissions, etc. The Dealership has been very nice and very helpful and easy to work with. They topped off the coolant and made a note of both of these items in case they become an issue on the JL later. They also fixed the oil leak on the passenger side valve cover on the JL. They said that was a faulty seal around a sensor that was leaking oil out onto the valve cover. They are installing the Mopar 2ā€ lift with Fox shocks and installing a block heater so I havenā€™t had a chance to drive the Jeep since they inspected it but they are saying that this is normal for the JL with the 3.6L V6 in cold weather.

deepspinners

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JLU Sport Altitude, 2004 Red Liberty Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Noticed the same plume of blue smoke from my wifeā€™s JLU on startup this morning 7500 miles not cold here today.
guess itā€™s time to call dealer for diagnoses. Last problem they looked at they couldnā€™t find until I supplied the TSB for steering box repair.

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Noticed the same plume of blue smoke from my wifeā€™s JLU on startup this morning 7500 miles not cold here today.
guess itā€™s time to call dealer for diagnoses. Last problem they looked at they couldnā€™t find until I supplied the TSB for steering box repair.
Hey, deepspinners. If you do end up going to the dealer and would like an additional layer of assistance, we are happy to help. Send our team a PM to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
made a note of both of these items in case they become an issue on the JL later.
Something I've wondered about is when dealers make notes of these things that customers have issues with. If the vehicle is outside of the warranty period, will the dealer or Jeep still fix the issue on their dime or yours?

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
NU70uxix,
It should be noted on your repair order.
weather or not Jeep helps you down the road, I think that will be a flip-of-a-coin. šŸ¤ž
Sponsored