Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
This also happened to me today, went over to a friends house to help out on some IT stuff, was there about three hrs and decided to remote start while heading to my Jeep and noticed some blueish/white smoke coming out. It lasted only a moment and then disappeared....I only have 1,387 miles on it. I guess I need to head to the dealership next week. Hope this does not become some issue?
This happened to me two weeks ago...no remote start though. I cranked and saw a tuft of white smoke come from my exhaust. It hasn't happened since...I noticed nothing else odd.
Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
condensation burn off is normal but bluish smoke is more than likely a bad valve guide seal. It happened on my brand new 2009 Dodge ram after 3000 miles. Dealer changed the seals and 250,000 thousand miles and ten years later have 0 issues with it.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Yep, happens to mine, too. Starting this thing is like Russian Roulette. Is it going to squeal, clunk, or smoke?

Last time it happened in front of my neighbor, who was giving me crap about how Jeeps are nothing but trouble. I said, "Nah, you just have to take care of them." Then I started it and a huge cloud of smoke filled my driveway. He about had a coronary he laughed so hard. 3000 miles.

Blues

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
My JLU smoking issue: I started a video and remote started most times I was going somewhere, and the darned thing never smoked when I was videoing. The tech could find nothing leaking anywhere, which I didn't expect him to. Meanwhile, the oily residue I could feel at the tip of the exhaust has gone away. It leaves me clueless, as valve guide seals and rings don't fix themselves, but I'm unfamiliar with all the emission controls that might inject oil into the combustion chambers. Meanwhile, the tech ran some tests and the radiator failed, so they're ordering one. I'd be more nervous, but my JKU had under 800 miles on it when it ate a valve, got repaired and never gave me another second of problems.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
It’s normal. After 7,500 miles or so it’ll stop. Check your oil between changes. Don’t be surprised that you’re down a quart. Follow break in procedures. My Hellcat did this until it didn’t anymore.

Sponsored

BigPoppa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I noticed this past weekend that my JL smoked for a brief moment on a remote start. I checked the oil a few times since and it is actually above the crosshairs, so I guess it’s maybe a little over-full. It has under 3k miles on it. I will be dropping it off at some point to have it checked. Hopefully, I won’t get the “we couldn’t find anything wrong with it” response. This is my first Jeep so I’m a tad nervous considering it’s smoking already.

Jeep1942d

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl rubicon
JL rubi, 3k miles. Started smoking last week on startup. Thick white smoke every morning. Dealership told me it was bad gas, they couldn't find anything wrong with it. This doesn't feel like a part of a normal break-in process to me.

Jeep1942d

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl rubicon
JL rubi, 3k miles. Started smoking last week on startup. Thick white smoke every morning. Dealership told me it was bad gas, they couldn't find anything wrong with it. This doesn't feel like a part of a normal break-in process to me.
UPDATE: A local dealer believes they have identified the problem, leaking fuel injectors. When sitting the fuel is getting into the engine. My problem progressed from morning startup white smoke to progressive power loss during acceleration and white-smoke while driving. I dropped a nice plume of smoke on a highway on-ramp (with total loss of acceleration). The injectors are getting changed today, will update after a while to report on success/failure of the fix.

Jeep1942d

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl rubicon
UPDATE: A local dealer believes they have identified the problem, leaking fuel injectors. When sitting the fuel is getting into the engine. My problem progressed from morning startup white smoke to progressive power loss during acceleration and white-smoke while driving. I dropped a nice plume of smoke on a highway on-ramp (with total loss of acceleration). The injectors are getting changed today, will update after a while to report on success/failure of the fix.
Well... They are still working on it. Not the injectors. Oil in the engine (combustion chamber) somehow. Don't know how. Talking about replacing the engine. Compression tests went ok. But when the engine sits oil is getting into the chamber, and sometimes while running.

Jeep1942d

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl rubicon
Well... They are still working on it. Not the injectors. Oil in the engine (combustion chamber) somehow. Don't know how. Talking about replacing the engine. Compression tests went ok. But when the engine sits oil is getting into the chamber, and sometimes while running.
Got a new engine. Oil in cylinders. Took engine for further testing but no official reason why.

Sponsored

Ajbreezay

First Name
Aubrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Any more updates or similar situations?

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
I started my 2018 JLU Sport S yesterday and watched in amazement as a huge cloud of blue smoke wafted up behind me and floated slowly over the one story building I was parked next to. The jeep had been parked for two days. I checked the oil later and it has used 1/2 qt in the 2600 miles I've put on it. Very worrisome. My JKU didn't use that much in all the time I had it. I drive like an old man because I am, and because my dog, who is always with me, won't wear his seat belt. 23.5 to 24 mpg, so you know how hard I'm beating it. It'll take a week or so to get into the dealer, but I'll be back to post what happens. TKS
You noticed a half quart missing when it’s hard to show a 1 quart difference on the dipstick??

Jeep1942d

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl rubicon
Any more updates or similar situations?
Nothing from me. The new engine is working well. Another 4k miles on it with some good off-pavement time. Hopefully my situation was unique.

VictorChampion

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Mine will occasionally puff out some bluish as well on remote start. 3.6 with 5200 miles and not driven hard at all. Kinda like old chevy's used to do on start up. But I also remember some of my JK's doing it as well. So I'm not overly concerned about it personally until next time I take it to the dealer for service.

Gremluc

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challenger & 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
Mine will occasionally puff out some bluish as well on remote start. 3.6 with 5200 miles and not driven hard at all. Kinda like old chevy's used to do on start up. But I also remember some of my JK's doing it as well. So I'm not overly concerned about it personally until next time I take it to the dealer for service.
My JL 3.6 has started to smoke bluish on startup than clears up. Year old 9600 miles. It only happens after JL is sitting for a while. 2nd oil change. First one 5-30w & 6 quarts. 2nd one 0-20w & the correct 5 quarts. May be more common than just us. Strange only noticed this after 2nd oil change.
Sponsored