First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport Unlimited Willys
Occupation
Retired US Army, Retired NC Correctional officer
I am almost certain that if the sizes of the holes are different, you would need two sets of adapters. Swapping those out is super easy and wouldn't hinder me from towing two different Jeeps if I had two Jeeps to tow.

You sir have a nice problem to have! :)
You are spot on about the different size adapters for the clevis points on most bumpers. As I said in an earlier post those adapters are quite expensive and as far as I know, are only available from blue ox. Honestly, though I don't know where my mechanic got mine but I can tell you the cost was north of $250/pr. To swap them out on the tow bar, remove the lock pin, pull out the pin insert and remove the connector and replace it with the properly sized one and replace it with the new pins provided.
Sponsored

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
You are spot on about the different size adapters for the clevis points on most bumpers. As I said in an earlier post those adapters are quite expensive and as far as I know, are only available from blue ox. Honestly, though I don't know where my mechanic got mine but I can tell you the cost was north of $250/pr. To swap them out on the tow bar, remove the lock pin, pull out the pin insert and remove the connector and replace it with the properly sized one and replace it with the new pins provided.
I think that most of the D-ring holes are 7/8", correct? I assume that Blue Ox makes an adapter for a 7/8" pin?

xgiguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Great, thanks. My question wasn't about what weight I could handle but more on if you thought it would be flexible enough to tow my 2020 JLRU one day and then switch to my 2005 LJRU on a different day without much change over. The d-rings on the vehicles will likely be at different widths, is that going to be a problem, do you think?
The tow bars have some flexibility in width built right into the tow bar. It's doubtful if the difference would be greater than what the tow bar can accommodate Blue ox and similar tow bars are a little pricey but with good reason. They do what they say they'll do and do it well.. The problem I ran into is that I connect the tow bar to the clevis points on the rage bumper and there's no place to hook up the safety chain. After contacting blue ox and some other experts, we decided to use a heavy-duty soft shackle wrapped around the bumper and connect the safety chains to that.

Sponsored

xgiguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm not sure what size the clevis point is. I'll include a link for the bumper here and maybe you can find what you need there. They also have excellent and quick customer service too. By the way, the bumper was designed to be used in towing 4-down applications using the points provided.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The tow bars have some flexibility in width built right into the tow bar. It's doubtful if the difference would be greater than what the tow bar can accommodate Blue ox and similar tow bars are a little pricey but with good reason. They do what they say they'll do and do it well.. The problem I ran into is that I connect the tow bar to the clevis points on the rage bumper and there's no place to hook up the safety chain. After contacting blue ox and some other experts, we decided to use a heavy-duty soft shackle wrapped around the bumper and connect the safety chains to that.
I plan on getting the LOD Frame Tie -In Bracket with whatever bumper I decide and a chain attachment location points are built into their design. I still need to figure out if I can use that bracket with other manufactures bumpers since I want an aluminum bumper.

xgiguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to show you this after you paid the money, but the $130 LOD adapters have the chain connection integrated into them. https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...-accessories/blue-ox-tow-bar-adaptor-kit.html

xgiguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I hate to show you this after you paid the money, but the $130 LOD adapters have the chain connection integrated into them. https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...-accessories/blue-ox-tow-bar-adaptor-kit.html
Grrrrr...figures as much. I see how the adapters work to incorporate the chains and like I said, the shop where I got the tow bar and had it installed got them for me. I'm pretty sure he didn't look far for a good deal. He went straight to his known source.

Sponsored

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Grrrrr...figures as much. I see how the adapters work to incorporate the chains and like I said, the shop where I got the tow bar and had it installed got them for me. I'm pretty sure he didn't look far for a good deal. He went straight to his known source.
Yeah, you cannot fault them for that. That is what is great about a forum like this, the sharing of ideas. I wanted to post it so that if others are reading this, they will have the info in front of them. If not having a chain connection really bothers you, you could add the frame tie in bracket (if it will fit your bumper, looks like it should) for $100. It also incorporates chain connection points. There are several people on this site that claim that you cannot safely tow from a bumper attached to the bumper plate alone. I have no idea if that is true or not, but I'll likely buy the frame tie in bracket in any case. Thanks for all your help.

jperkins66

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks, kids add needs, and those needs were doors. After trying to get them into the car seats with the top on the LJ, I knew I needed to do something different. The old LG gets the really dirty trips and the JL is still a pavement princess. Covid ruined my chances of getting the new one dirty. LJ now spends it's life topless.
I'm going to be running into a similar issue this December when my wife and I have our 3rd child. I need to find a way to do 3 car seats if possible and I will NOT be getting rid of my Jeep. If my wife wants that shiny mini-van she is eyeing, dad is going to be Ram shopping.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to be running into a similar issue this December when my wife and I have our 3rd child. I need to find a way to do 3 car seats if possible and I will NOT be getting rid of my Jeep. If my wife wants that shiny mini-van she is eyeing, dad is going to be Ram shopping.
Oh god, how similar our worlds are, except I stopped at 2 kids. I already have the Rom and the minivan. The minivan is pretty nice. You can get just about every option on a minivan and be around $35k less than an equally optioned Tahoe or Expedition. That saving is why I know have the JLRU. The minivan is great on highway trips too. Just got a WAYB Pico car seat for my 2yo for the Rubicon. It is very narrow and compact and light.

jperkins66

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I think that most of the D-ring holes are 7/8", correct? I assume that Blue Ox makes an adapter for a 7/8" pin?
This right here is what made me reach out to Blue Ox online for answers. Most are 7/8” but I didn’t want to assume, I wanted direct source answers. I told them which Smitty bumper model I had and they (Blue Ox) verified the exact item number needed for setup.
Sponsored