Occasional flat tow JLU sport

Lebete

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Travel for work. Projects last about a year. Have to have a pickup for my job. Would like to be able to tow the Jeep to/from the projects. But it’s very limited.

I’ve seen the kits from all the mfg’s for RV towing on a regular basis.

Don't really want to invest
thousands for just a once a year thing.

Suggestions? Towing with a 16 ram 1500 4x4.
Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Uhaul flatbed

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
What Hudson suggested is your best bet.

I tow mine behind my RV for race weekends, so I can tell you from experience it is not easy, nor cheap to properly setup your Jeep for flat towing.

Things you would need:
Tow bar mount on Jeep. (or a new front bumper that supports towing)
Tow bar
Braking system (wired or wireless braking system that activates the Jeep's brakes when your truck brakes)
If you chose an electronic braking system you might need a brake controller if it is no integrated in your truck already.
Flat tow lighting harness or clip on tow lights.

Wanted to give you the info to understand why the uhaul trailer really is your best option for once a year towing.

OP
OP

Lebete

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Thanks for the info. It’s a JLU and at first on Uhauls website it said it wasn’t rated to tow it. After looking at it closer though, it was because my hitch wasn’t rated for enough weight. So I can get a new heavier hitch for about 150. That seems like the best deal. thanks for the replies.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Don't know cost of one way rental on car hauler trailer but would estimate the cost of setting up the Jeep for flat towing at about $2000, if you do the installation on your own. You could possibly cut that in half buying some used components. Just for an idea...

Maximus 3 tow loops. $200
Cooltech light wire harness $160
Patriot brake system $1200 (saw a used one advertised for $300)
Tow bar, rated at 6500#s, $660

That would come to just over $2200 if all new, $1300 with the used brake. I spent virtually no time searching, the used brake system just popped up. You might find a slightly used tow bar too.

Used stuff is out there, I have a used Blue Ox base plate for a JK in my shed, as example, sold our used Patriot in about 5 minutes when we upgraded to an integrated system years ago.

Sponsored

jperkins66

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’m getting my JLUR set up to flat tow next week. Approximately $2700 with install and the Diode Kit, Patriot 3 Breaking System, Avail 10k Tow Bar, attached you my Smittybilt XRC Gen 2 Bumper with Blue Ox Off-Road Adapters. Towing with 2019 Winnebago Adventurer.

2F2FEECF-22A6-4A45-B65E-69CD1B5FD1E5.jpeg

E7FE68E2-E3C5-4792-BE13-220409FF9E2A.jpeg

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
jperkins66, your set up is a bit less because you already have a tow compatible front bumper. The OP would have to invest either in a similar bumper or a base plate adding at least another $400, probably more, putting the total cost over $3k for certain.

xgiguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport Unlimited Willys
Occupation
Retired US Army, Retired NC Correctional officer
I’m getting my JLUR set up to flat tow next week. Approximately $2700 with install and the Diode Kit, Patriot 3 Breaking System, Avail 10k Tow Bar, attached you my Smittybilt XRC Gen 2 Bumper with Blue Ox Off-Road Adapters.
I have a very similar set up for my 2020 Willys except I have a Rage 4 steel bumper. Using the bumper as a connection point for the avail tow bar requires an expensive set of special connecters available only from Blu Ox because of their non-standard size. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the standard base plate set up.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
I’m getting my JLUR set up to flat tow next week. Approximately $2700 with install and the Diode Kit, Patriot 3 Breaking System, Avail 10k Tow Bar, attached you my Smittybilt XRC Gen 2 Bumper with Blue Ox Off-Road Adapters. Towing with 2019 Winnebago Adventurer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Occasional flat tow JLU sport E7FE68E2-E3C5-4792-BE13-220409FF9E2A

Jeep Wrangler JL Occasional flat tow JLU sport E7FE68E2-E3C5-4792-BE13-220409FF9E2A
You can tow from that bumper without a frame tie in bracket? Does it tie into the frame differently that allows that? I have been looking into an option like this, but it seems that most bumper manufactures do not approve it for towing. I know you can buy a frame tie in bracket from LOD that is supposed to fix that issue. I'm wondering if Smittybilt is mounting their bumpers differently so that isn't an issue.

jperkins66

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You can tow from that bumper without a frame tie in bracket? Does it tie into the frame differently that allows that? I have been looking into an option like this, but it seems that most bumper manufactures do not approve it for towing. I know you can buy a frame tie in bracket from LOD that is supposed to fix that issue. I'm wondering if Smittybilt is mounting their bumpers differently so that isn't an issue.
It bolts in like all the other bumpers without any additional bracket as far as I know. I do know there are a few brands that directly specify that you can flat tow and Smitty was not one.

I did a lot of research on here, eTrailer, and spoke with a local trailer company which did my wiring about utilizing the Smitty and I received enough positive info FOR ME to make my decision. I have taken it from TN to Florida several times already and it is towing easily and effortlessly. Takes maybe 10 minutes to hook up going slowly and maybe 5 minutes disconnecting. The Blue Ox adapters/pins just stay connected to my tow bar even when not in use and slide into the clevis hole on the Smitty bumper perfectly.

I was very apprehensive about this setup as the last thing I want to do is endanger myself or others.

Sponsored

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It bolts in like all the other bumpers without any additional bracket as far as I know. I do know there are a few brands that directly specify that you can flat tow and Smitty was not one.

I did a lot of research on here, eTrailer, and spoke with a local trailer company which did my wiring about utilizing the Smitty and I received enough positive info FOR ME to make my decision. I have taken it from TN to Florida several times already and it is towing easily and effortlessly. Takes maybe 10 minutes to hook up going slowly and maybe 5 minutes disconnecting. The Blue Ox adapters/pins just stay connected to my tow bar even when not in use and slide into the clevis hole on the Smitty bumper perfectly.

I was very apprehensive about this setup as the last thing I want to do is endanger myself or others.
Thanks for the info. I'm not knocking your solution, just admiring. I also have a LJRU (2005 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited) that has the D-ring mounts from an aftermarket bumper. I have been towing it with a cheap tow bar. What I would like to do is buy an good tow bar that I could use on either Jeep. Do you think the one you have would be a good option for that? I'm going to try to get a bumper that keeps the D-rings on both Jeeps around the same height. Thanks

jperkins66

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for the info. I'm not knocking your solution, just admiring. I also have a LJRU (2005 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited) that has the D-ring mounts from an aftermarket bumper. I have been towing it with a cheap tow bar. What I would like to do is buy an good tow bar that I could use on either Jeep. Do you think the one you have would be a good option for that? I'm going to try to get a bumper that keeps the D-rings on both Jeeps around the same height. Thanks

100% Recommended on the tow bar. It's rated at 10K, same for my drop hitch adapter. It would be more than enough for a JLUR. I'm actually looking to pick up a Ram Rebel this winter and I will probably flat tow my Jeep sometimes with that as well.

Save yourself a little money and see if you can get matching diameter width's on the mounting points so you can use the same adapters! :)

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
100% Recommended on the tow bar. It's rated at 10K, same for my drop hitch adapter. It would be more than enough for a JLUR. I'm actually looking to pick up a Ram Rebel this winter and I will probably flat tow my Jeep sometimes with that as well.
Great, thanks. My question wasn't about what weight I could handle but more on if you thought it would be flexible enough to tow my 2020 JLRU one day and then switch to my 2005 LJRU on a different day without much change over. The d-rings on the vehicles will likely be at different widths, is that going to be a problem, do you think?

jperkins66

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Great, thanks. My question wasn't about what weight I could handle but more on if you thought it would be flexible enough to tow my 2020 JLRU one day and then switch to my 2005 LJRU on a different day without much change over. The d-rings on the vehicles will likely be at different widths, is that going to be a problem, do you think?
I am almost certain that if the sizes of the holes are different, you would need two sets of adapters. Swapping those out is super easy and wouldn't hinder me from towing two different Jeeps if I had two Jeeps to tow.

You sir have a nice problem to have! :)

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am almost certain that if the sizes of the holes are different, you would need two sets of adapters. Swapping those out is super easy and wouldn't hinder me from towing two different Jeeps if I had two Jeeps to tow.

You sir have a nice problem to have! :)
Thanks, kids add needs, and those needs were doors. After trying to get them into the car seats with the top on the LJ, I knew I needed to do something different. The old LG gets the really dirty trips and the JL is still a pavement princess. Covid ruined my chances of getting the new one dirty. LJ now spends it's life topless.
Sponsored