Observations regarding the brakes

SF Pacer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL Sport S
I have a 2dr JL Sport S, 3500 miles, and have noticed a couple of things regarding the brakes:

1. They seem a bit...mushy. I'm not sure how else to describe it. I know it's not a high-performance car but going down hills, I live in San Francisco, I would say the stopping power leaves a lot to be desired. I actually would be quite nervous about stopping suddenly if I had to. I've never had that feeling in a modern car before.

2. They seem to run hot, particularly the front ones. I don't have any hard evidence (temperatures) but once shortly after arriving home, I washed the car and when rinsing off the front wheels noticed the water steaming off. I also seem to smell what I think are the brakes once I turn the car off and shut the garage door. There are three or four fairly steep downhills on the way to my house but would that cause excessive heat?

I'm likely going to get it checked out when I take it in for an oil change next week but just wanted to see what others thoughts were.
Sponsored

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I loved the brakes on mine. Maybe check them out. Also, downshift when going down some you use the engine braking. That will help. Excess heat will make them feel mushy.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I loved the brakes on mine. Maybe check them out. Also, downshift when going down some you use the engine braking. That will help. Excess heat will make them feel mushy.
Rubicon has heavy duty brakes, others have standard brakes.
SF Pacer, can you try a couple of panic stops before you take it in? See if they fade after a couple of stops.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
Rubicon has heavy duty brakes, others have standard brakes.
SF Pacer, can you try a couple of panic stops before you take it in? See if they fade after a couple of stops.
Sahara and Moab also have HD brakes.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
One of the many reasons I went with the Rubicon over the sport. The Rubicon has the larger (Mopar Big Brakes) brakes and calipers. I drove my JK for 4 years with the stock brakes on 35" tires and never felt like I could stop the way I should. Later I upgraded to the Teraflex big brakes and it felt so good. With the big brakes and being able to fit 35's stock, it made the price of the Rubicon seem MUCH more reasonable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SF Pacer

SF Pacer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL Sport S
Are you on stock wheels and tires. 35s or larger with the amount of downhill stopping you’re doing will make stock brakes heat up especially front ones.
I’m in stock wheels and tires. Looking to upgrade to Rubi take offs in the future.

Sounds like from all of the replies - thank you all - I should have the dealer check them. I just don’t want the lazy, “their fine” dealer response.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

I think the Rubi brakes are fairly trash on pavement, but maybe the weak mush helps when off road.
I remember driving to work in SF when the New Beetle first came out, and sitting at a red light on a steep hill the bug started squealing and sliding backwards into a garbage truck behind me.. even with the emergency brake on. Now those were some weak assed brakes.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
My JK had a mushy pedal and unimpressive brakes. So far the Rubi (which has the Mopar Big Brake Kit I understand) is a noticeable improvement. I've had a couple hard stops at a downhill red light and it did a lot better than the JK and TRD Pro. I like the feel on pavement.

iPooted83

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful when washing hot brakes. Cold water on hot brakes can potentially warp the rotors.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
They're probably fine, just pay attention when driving and don't tailgate.

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
You guys are going to love these brakes. I can't wait for the release.

https://teraflex.com/news_items/ter...ited-delta-brake-kit-with-high-modulus-bridge

Oh yeah! Those new Delta Brakes are awesome!

TeraFlex Delta Brake kit in a 2018 JLUR on 40" Patagonias, full panic stop from 50 mph with the ABS activating to keep the brakes from locking up.... Still can't believe it could stop that fast on wet pavement, even quicker on dry....almost scary fast!

Well done @TeraFlex, well done.

Full TeraFlex Delta Brake install story here: Northridge Nation.com - High Performance Brake kit for the Jeep JL

compare-oe-jl-rear-caliper-teraflex-delta-caliper.jpg