First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I'm getting tired of going to autozone everytime I get a CEL light. I'm looking to purchase an OBD2 scanner, but I'm way out of my league here. I am not a techie of any sort. I want an easy to use scanner that just displays the code and that will reset the CEL light. I'm more than happy to wright down any code and google them later. And I'd like it to be cheap. Any suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting tired of going to autozone everytime I get a CEL light. I'm looking to purchase an OBD2 scanner, but I'm way out of my league here. I am not a techie of any sort. I want an easy to use scanner that just displays the code and that will reset the CEL light. I'm more than happy to wright down any code and google them later. And I'd like it to be cheap. Any suggestions? Thanks
The most cost-effective scanners are usually Bluetooth obd2 modules with an accompanying mobile app on your phone. I use Jscan for the JLU and Torque app for my other cars. If you search "jscan" on this forum you'll find a number of posts explaining details.

You'll also need a security bypass cable to be able to reset error codes on 2018+ JLs.

For me $:

- $12 for Bluetooth obd2
- $22 for Jscan
- $20 for security bypass cable

Note: there many, many more things you can do with Jscan like modifications to your vehicles settings (example tire size, Led lights etc.) but that gets a little technical

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Any cheap scanner will be fine if you are willing to google the code. Walmart, Harbor Freight, Auto Zone, any of them are fine. OBDII is a standard and any reader will check and clear codes.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Any cheap scanner will be fine if you are willing to google the code. Walmart, Harbor Freight, Auto Zone, any of them are fine. OBDII is a standard and any reader will check and clear codes.
You're probably right. A cheap scanner will be much simpler (not less $$) for someone looking for very limited functionality. However, you may still need the security bypass cable to clear codes. The consensus on this forum is you can only read codes without the security bypass cable on the 2018+ JL.

Last edited:

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
You're probably right. A cheap scanner will be much simpler (not less $$) for someone looking for very limited functionality. However, you may still need the security bypass cable to clear codes. The consensus on this forum is you can only read codes without the security bypass cable on the 2018+ JL.
I think the bypass is only needed for programming. If autozone is clearing them without the bypass then any other scanner sending the clear command should work.

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I think the bypass is only needed for programming. If autozone is clearing them without the bypass then any other scanner sending the clear command should work.
It would be good if someone on this forum could verify clearing codes on the JL works without a security bypass cable. It wouldn't be the first time a forum's consensus was wrong :facepalm:

OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Thanks for all the replies. I'll just add a cheap one to my next amazon order. I'm not trying to clear codes on my JL, but on a couple of older vehicles I also own. Never had a code on the Jeep. I was out wheeling the other day with a group and one of the older jeeps went way out of time. One of the other guys had his scanner and quickly diagnosed a distributor malfunction. Of course he was a real mechanic and had a very good scanner. Way beyond of my backyard mechanic level. Thanks again.

Dkilduff87

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Thanks for all the replies. I'll just add a cheap one to my next amazon order. I'm not trying to clear codes on my JL, but on a couple of older vehicles I also own. Never had a code on the Jeep. I was out wheeling the other day with a group and one of the older jeeps went way out of time. One of the other guys had his scanner and quickly diagnosed a distributor malfunction. Of course he was a real mechanic and had a very good scanner. Way beyond of my backyard mechanic level. Thanks again.
I can confirm that on a 2018 wrangler unlimited sport that you CAN clear the CEL with a scanner. No extra cable needed. In the past two months, on two occasions I have started her up and CEL popped up right away. Did not go away with driving to work. About 30 miles. Hooked it up to my buddies cheap scanner. Told me no codes. Cleared the codes and the check engine went away. Now I suppose if you actually have codes it will not clear but im pretty sure the cheapy couldn't read the code, but was able to clear it. I really think I got the light because of bad gas. Both times happened a day after filling up from a certain station.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I've cleared JL/JT codes with a cheap scanner.
Sponsored