OP
OP
bterra

bterra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Rubicon Xtreme Recon Edition
Seem kind of pricey. For a little more I believe you can get the Tazer mini and add a code to OBD port to secure it plus have the ability to play around with some other settings too.

Z Automotive Tazer Pin Lock Mode to Prevent Theft | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com
Thank you roobies! I'll have a look at the Tazer. I'm paranoid ever since my best friends Wrangler got stolen in minutes via the OBD last week.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Your best bet is to not live near a city.

OP
OP
bterra

bterra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your best bet is to not live near a city.
They see you and follow or track you to the suburbs. Thats what happened to my friend...he is about 20 miles out from a major city center.
I don't know why car manufacturers cannot lock down the obd port better. You could easily add some sort of two factor authentication to access the port or even make the access via the fob need some sort of MAC address.
Its more than likely that these car thefts arent only good for the thief but good for the car companies since the sell more cars this way.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
They see you and follow or track you to the suburbs. Thats what happened to my friend...he is about 20 miles out from a major city center.
I don't know why car manufacturers cannot lock down the obd port better. You could easily add some sort of two factor authentication to access the port or even make the access via the fob need some sort of MAC address.
Its more than likely that these car thefts arent only good for the thief but good for the car companies since the sell more cars this way.
Suburbs are cities.

OP
OP
bterra

bterra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburbs are cities.
Where i live the suburbs are the closest you'll get to rural. Unless you uproot your life to live 3-4 hours away. I guess the point im making is that car manufacturers aren't doing enough to prevent these thefts when, in my opinion being a technologist for over 20 years, solutions are possible. They just aren't motivated to do anything about it because it could hurt profit margins if they do.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
Tazer just added a feature that lets you create a PIN using the cruise control buttons so that the Jeep can't be driven without the PIN being entered. As soon as I've recovered enough from knee surgery to bend down and reach under the dash I'll be ordering and installing a Tazer. The Tazer has many more functions also.

OP
OP
bterra

bterra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tazer just added a feature that lets you create a PIN using the cruise control buttons so that the Jeep can't be driven without the PIN being entered. As soon as I've recovered enough from knee surgery to bend down and reach under the dash I'll be ordering and installing a Tazer. The Tazer has many more functions also.
I watched a few videos on the Tazer (mini?) and it doesnt connect right to the obd port but another connection behind. This is great because typically, thiefs go right for the obd port. When they see the Tazer they can simply remove it (older version) allowing them to quickly hack the computer and start your vehicle.

If you could also lock the new Tazer to the port connections behind it would be almost perfect.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I have used an OBD port lock on my last Ram just to keep the dealer from flashing the truck (to prevent overwriting custom tunes) It worked as intended although I never tested it, truck never saw the dealer again after it was modded.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bterra

bterra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have used an OBD port lock on my last Ram just to keep the dealer from flashing the truck (to prevent overwriting custom tunes) It worked as intended although I never tested it, truck never saw the dealer again after it was modded.
Which one did you use? I may get the Tazer but also add a port lock.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Let me see if I can find it in my order history. That truck was a 13 and its been 7 or 8 years since I bought that.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
You can do this for $2.

Get a regular toggle switch at local parts store. Cut the power wire (going to pin 16) on the port. Wire it to the toggle switch. Mount the switch somewhere under the dash where it's not easily found. Turn it off.

Flip the switch when you want to use the port.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Of course . . . why spend $2 and 10 minutes of time when you can spend $200 (only to lose the key later)?!!

whitechocolate

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 80th Edition