Sponsored

NV2410R Transfer Case Used Oil Analysis

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to share the UOAs to date for my transfer case. Nothing stands out as a particular issue other than some shearing that occurred and resulted in a 17% decrease in viscosity in the last run and even that is not a big concern.

Wear metals (iron, aluminum, and copper) continue to drop on a per mile basis despite longer runs past the initial fill as should be expected. For the curious, I dumped it at 30K to set a baseline when I re-geared and ATF+4 is cheap enough so I will stick with a 25K fluid change going forward.

Enjoy!

Jeep Wrangler JL NV2410R Transfer Case Used Oil Analysis XFer Case UOAs
Sponsored

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
Out of curiosity, how many miles would you estimate was spent in 4wd?

Pete

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Out of curiosity, how many miles would you estimate was spent in 4wd?

Pete
Somewhere between 500 and 700. Of course, there are always parts spinning in the transfer case even in 4x2 so there will always be wear metals present.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Is there a magnet on the drain plug like the transmission? It is always interesting to see how much ferrous metal is on that plug when doing a transmission service. On my wife's odyssey it is a bit concerning the first few times, you can give the drain plug a "spikey hair-do".

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a magnet on the drain plug like the transmission? It is always interesting to see how much ferrous metal is on that plug when doing a transmission service. On my wife's odyssey it is a bit concerning the first few times, you can give the drain plug a "spikey hair-do".
There is, but there is little more than metal "paste" that is collected. The first OC I did had a bit more, but nothing like the rear axle when I dumped it @ 5K miles. That plug had more than a spikey hairdo...it had curly twirlies as well. :LOL:
Sponsored