Sponsored

Nut/Bolt not even holding the Bumper on !

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Today I went to install a new tow hitch and I was surprised to see that who ever installed my Mopar Steel Bumper was either drunk, high or simply didn’t care. They installed one of the rear bumper mounting bolts in an “empty hole” , completely missing the BIG steel tab that they were supposed to secure the bumper with. Now I have to decide whether it is worth my time to have the dealer fix it or do it myself ?
1st photo: improper bolt placement.
2nd photo: the opposite side with the correct bolt placement.

56D42465-A8F7-42EE-A50D-6A117CA6291D.jpeg

9E663F8A-3111-40F6-AE05-04DAFF99A8EE.jpeg
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Well, as I see it--answer the following-

1)-is the dealer close ?
2)-Can you live without the jeep for a day ??
3)-Do you have any metric tools-??
4)-Do you have other vehicles to drive/ride ??

I have a lotta tools and the 16mm bolt that holds those tabs, is already there--you can PROBABLY loosen it and reinstall it thru the bumper tab, unless it's too long to take out without dropping the bumper --"A LITTLE"

Good luck

JIMBO

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Today I went to install a new tow hitch and I was surprised to see that who ever installed my Mopar Steel Bumper was either drunk, high or simply didn’t care. They installed one of the rear bumper mounting bolts in an “empty hole” , completely missing the BIG steel tab that they were supposed to secure the bumper with. Now I have to decide whether it is worth my time to have the dealer fix it or do it myself ?
1st photo: improper bolt placement.
2nd photo: the opposite side with the correct bolt placement.
Whoever installed bolt into an "empty hole" ?

How about "ignorant" , as in "cannot ever know anything".

Last edited:

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I say at least report it to Jeep Cares and include your photos. If FCA isn't aware of quality issues, how are they going to improve. Besides, most Autoworkers are paid too well for there to be issues with something as simple as screwing in a bolt, a task so easy that a 5 year old could do it.

Last edited:

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
How can they not be aware ? Of course they are aware .
I agree. Even more of a reason to let the dealer charge FCA the $30 or so dollars for a 1 min job. Hit them where it hurts, their pocket book.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
But, but, but EVERY car manufacturer has quality control issues! There are Toyotas with quality issues!!!

Thought I’d go ahead and run that straw man out there before the apologists get their chance. lol.

That’s horrible that 1) it happened, 2) it left the factory like that, 3) the dealership who’s supposed to have performed a PPI sold it to you like that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
iznthesky

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Well, as I see it--answer the following-

1)-is the dealer close ?
2)-Can you live without the jeep for a day ??
3)-Do you have any metric tools-??
4)-Do you have other vehicles to drive/ride ??

I have a lotta tools and the 16mm bolt that holds those tabs, is already there--you can PROBABLY loosen it and reinstall it thru the bumper tab, unless it's too long to take out without dropping the bumper --"A LITTLE"

Good luck

JIMBO
Yes; I have a dealer close by.
Yes; I can live without it for as long as it takes to get it done right.
Yes; I have a couple of complete roll away tool boxes.
Yes; I have my Jeep TJ as a daily driver....(don’t like leaving my Rubi at airport overnight).

Thanks Jimbox. It’s a short bolt, the frame has an “insert” so removing it and putting it where it belongs will be the easiest route.
I wanted to run this buy you guys before I did anything to it.....just in case there were any red flags about my warranty.
Tomorrow I am going to crawl around under it and have another look at the rest of the Jeep.

OP
OP
iznthesky

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I say at least report it to Jeep Cares and include your photos. If FCA isn't aware of quality issues, how are they going to improve. Besides, the most Autoworkers are paid too well for there to be issues with something as simple as screwing in a bolt, a task so easy that a 5 year old could do it.
Thanks Redneck, As soon as I figure out how to report it to Jeep Cares... I will

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
You need to report it. They will be able to see which employee ( I think I have a good idea who) was logged in at that station at the exact moment it went thru that particular station. Employee will receive a performance write up. That is complete bullshit and it should of never of been able to leave that station without the proper torque requirement for that bolt. I will be personally going to talk to the team leader of that team tomorrow.
Sponsored