Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
I'm curious if this is a keyed vehicle issue
My Jeep has the fob, push the dash button to start the engine, push the button to stop the engine
When we are in tow mode, with the gears in there places (that's my wife's job), the engine is off, thus everything in the vehicle is off. No Aux setting to accidentally leave on or anything like that.

Thus nothing from the jeep has power during this process, no brake lights from the jeep when brake pedal is engaged (pulled)

I hope this helps

Bradley
Ok, my JL is a 2020 with the push button start/stop. The brake lights still work even when it’s not running.
Sponsored

IrnBear

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Expedition, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Ok, my JL is a 2020 with the push button start/stop. The brake lights still work even when it’s not running.
We'll I'll be Damned
You're questioning lead me to do some investigating
I was with the understanding that my Roadmaster wiring setup "with diodes" prevented any miscommunication between jeep and motorhome
Well I was wrong

The Relay is to be put in place to allow your turn signals to still work when the jeeps brake engagement, brake lights are on

So, yes my jeeps brake lights engage when pressure is applied to the jeep pedal, no matter if the jeep is on or off. (I was not aware of this) :surprised: I really just never thought about it..

I do not have the relay, thus my jeep turn signals (powered by the motorhome) do not work when the jeep engaged brake lights come on

I may leave it as is
Or I may look into this relay and wire it into my system
Appears this will be issue no matter what braking system you use

Humm, thank you for making me think this through.

Bradley

IrnBear

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL Wiring for Flat Towing
Question:
I have been researching the wiring needed to equip the 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL for 4 wheel flat towing. I have read it requires an RM88400 relay to be installed. The Jeep has push button ignition. I read another account where a brake light switch had to be installed. I am confused can you clarify for me?
asked by: Gary B
Expert Reply:
For your 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL flat tow wiring. I reached out to my tech contact at Roadmaster and you will not need the relay # RM-88400 because the factory stop light switch will time-out so it won't remain active when flat towing.

This is from the etrailer site
This is what I thought and just wasn't waiting the 5 min during my testing outside at my jeep
It is true, at least on the 2018 Jeep JLU
Once I am in tow mode
Tranny in P
Transfer case in N
Power off, not in ACC
After 5 min the Brake light switch times out
Thus, when I pull on the brake cable from outside (like the inertia setup is pulling on it), my jeep brake lights do not come on
Thus, no need for the Relay

I hope this is all clear as mud, LOL... JK
I hope this helps

Bradley

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
I just found that out for sure today. I was doing some work on the interior of my JL with the doors open. The system does time out and shuts down the brake lights. But - if you open the drivers door it resets the timer. I found a couple posts on etrailer.com’s website where the say the same thing you posted. I did find out that they recommend the addition of a brake light switch so you’ll know if the Jeep brakes are applied. I had one on the JK and I’m going to put one on the JL. If the brakes are applied while towing there’s an LED on my motor home dash that lights up.

IrnBear

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome
Great minds working together
The ready brute has a wire setup with an led that shows if the inertia brake has engaged. Doesn't really show if the jeeps brakes are engaged
I have seen the brake alert light setup you are mentioning

I am really happy with my setup
Easy to connect and disconnect
The Ready Brute is a really solid and "heavy" tow setup

Happy Travels,
Bradley

Sponsored

mamcnabb

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
I'm curious if this is a keyed vehicle issue
My Jeep has the fob, push the dash button to start the engine, push the button to stop the engine
When we are in tow mode, with the gears in there places (that's my wife's job), the engine is off, thus everything in the vehicle is off. No Aux setting to accidentally leave on or anything like that.

Thus nothing from the jeep has power during this process, no brake lights from the jeep when brake pedal is engaged (pulled)

I hope this helps

Bradley
I just set up the Ready Brake on my 2020 2 door Wrangler JL. My concern is the travel on the brake pedal is reduced after one or two stops. In making my first test run and after some adjustment, I noticed that the right rear brake was noisy and hot after I stopped (just a quick run around the block). Have you had any issues of the brakes dragging after the initial few stops?

Marty

Ryguy84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo xc90
I just set up the Ready Brake on my 2020 2 door Wrangler JL. My concern is the travel on the brake pedal is reduced after one or two stops. In making my first test run and after some adjustment, I noticed that the right rear brake was noisy and hot after I stopped (just a quick run around the block). Have you had any issues of the brakes dragging after the initial few stops?

Marty
Any updates since the last run?

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....

Marty
If your brakes are getting that hot (and assuming you did NOT just drive down a mountain) you probably do not have the brake cable adjusted quite right between the jeep & the tow bar.

A common issue I have seen, is that people did not have the jeep perfectly centered, and the tow bar arms fully extended when setting the appropriate sag on the brake cable.

A fairly easy way to tell this is when connecting the brake cable to the tow bar.
  • are the tow bar arms fully extended and locked?
  • Is the jeep perfectly centered?
  • can you clip the brake cable easily, or does it require effort to pull it, to be able to clip it.
on my setup, i can just barely connect my brake cable without having to use any strength to pull it.

hope that makes sense.

mamcnabb

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
Any updates since the last run?
After some adjustment, we did a 1000+ mile trip without issues. I really like the setup, however now I wonder if I have a little too much slack in the brake cable. I have a 25 ft. class C with a E350 Ford, so towing and braking is not that painfull.
Sponsored