NSA RV Products (Ready Brute Elite) users, lend me your knowledge

AllenTC2

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S in Granite Metallic
Just picked up a 2020 Sport S to replace my dying 2005 LJ. I just noticed there is some nice symmetry there. LOL Anyway, I towed my LJ behind my RV using a Ready Brute Elite tow bar with the NSA breakaway and supplemental brake systems. Looking under the hood of my JL, I can see a LOT has changed. Is anyone one using these products in their JL and if so, could you share pics/videos of how/where you routed your cables?

Instead of the Smittybilt bumper on the LJ, this time I'm using the Blue Ox baseplate, so I'm really scratching my head where to put the supplemental brake cable loop, the 4-pin connector, etc.

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
AllenTC2

AllenTC2

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No one? Ugh....this is gonna be interesting. LOL

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Just picked up a 2020 Sport S to replace my dying 2005 LJ. I just noticed there is some nice symmetry there. LOL Anyway, I towed my LJ behind my RV using a Ready Brute Elite tow bar with the NSA breakaway and supplemental brake systems. Looking under the hood of my JL, I can see a LOT has changed. Is anyone one using these products in their JL and if so, could you share pics/videos of how/where you routed your cables?

Instead of the Smittybilt bumper on the LJ, this time I'm using the Blue Ox baseplate, so I'm really scratching my head where to put the supplemental brake cable loop, the 4-pin connector, etc.

Thanks in advance!!
I tow my 2014 Ford Edge with the Ready Brute Elite behind my RV. I have a 2021 JLU ordered & it will be my next toad. Unfortunately I'm maybe 5 weeks out on even getting it & I won't dig into setting it up to flat tow until Dec/Jan when I have time to mess with it. So I have nothing to share at this point. Curious why you chose the Blue Ox base plate over the Maximus loops. I currently use the BO base plate on my car & have zero complaints but I didn't think I was going to like the look on the new Jeep.

OP
OP
AllenTC2

AllenTC2

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, wasn't even aware of the Maximus loops. I already had an NSA tow bar, so I went to their site. The Blue Ox looked like it'd also provide attachment points for the breakaway brake and 4-pin connector so I just rolled with it.

As for the looks, not too concerned with that. Jeeps to me are just utilitarian. So long as it's clean and not rusty, I'm fine.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I use the readybrute elite to tow my JLUS behind my rv.

i went with the Rock Hard 4x4 patriot aluminum front bumper that is towbar compatable. I added lod frame tie in brackets ti strengthen the bumper frame connection.

Sponsored

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
I used the Readybrute Elite II attaching to a Rockjock tow plate on my JK which I just traded in on a JL. I've got all the wiring harnesses on order as well as the Rockjock tow plate for the JL - it's different from the JK version. I like the Rockjock because it doesn't hang down as much as a Blue Ox or Roadmaster tow plate/frame. They look like a snowplow mount compared to the Rockjock. https://www.rockjock4x4.com/ce-9033jlp The instructions have some better photos of what it looks like installed. I just got my JL yesterday but took a look today and I don't see any issues for installing the brake cable or the emergency break away cable. I'm just going to set it up pretty much the way the JK was done. Photo is the Rockjock mounted on my JK.
Jeep Wrangler JL NSA RV Products (Ready Brute Elite) users, lend me your knowledge IMG_8099 2

IrnBear

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Expedition, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Just came across this thread. I imagine you already figured it out..
If not I can take pics and share tomorrow if you wish.
I love my Ready Brute system and am using a Demco Baseplate.
Installed everything myself.

SandK

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB E350
Skip,

I am considering the JL rockjock baseplate as well and would be interested in your install experience. I posted my concern about the attachment of the baseplate to the lower end of the frame horn in “Best setup for RV flat tow.”

Thanks,
Ken

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Skip,

I am considering the JL rockjock baseplate as well and would be interested in your install experience. I posted my concern about the attachment of the baseplate to the lower end of the frame horn in “Best setup for RV flat tow.”

Thanks,
Ken
Ken, I haven't installed it on the JL yet. The JK was a piece of cake, all I had to do was drop the plastic "skid plate" under the bumper and everything bolted into place. I ordered one for my JL and it's supposed to be here this coming week. In the instructions that Rockjock posts on their website it looks like the bumper cover may have to come off - I have the plastic bumper so I ordered the tow bar for that, there's a different part number for JLs with the metal bumper. When I did the one for the JK I watched a video on Youtube by a guy in New Hampshire. He has all kinds of videos on the tow bar and base plate, that's where I found out about the Ready Brute. That video is the one specific to the base plate. The one thing he did which I liked, so I did it too, was get a nylon spacer and cut it at the angle on the front of the baseplate. This will hold the brake cable conduit so it's parallel to the ground rather than pointing down if it's tightened against the tow plate. Any other questions, let me know! I'm really happy with my Ready Brute Elite II and the Rockjock base plate. Makes towing a breeze!

Sponsored

SandK

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB E350
Ken, I haven't installed it on the JL yet. The JK was a piece of cake, all I had to do was drop the plastic "skid plate" under the bumper and everything bolted into place. I ordered one for my JL and it's supposed to be here this coming week. In the instructions that Rockjock posts on their website it looks like the bumper cover may have to come off - I have the plastic bumper so I ordered the tow bar for that, there's a different part number for JLs with the metal bumper. When I did the one for the JK I watched a video on Youtube by a guy in New Hampshire. He has all kinds of videos on the tow bar and base plate, that's where I found out about the Ready Brute. That video is the one specific to the base plate. The one thing he did which I liked, so I did it too, was get a nylon spacer and cut it at the angle on the front of the baseplate. This will hold the brake cable conduit so it's parallel to the ground rather than pointing down if it's tightened against the tow plate. Any other questions, let me know! I'm really happy with my Ready Brute Elite II and the Rockjock base plate. Makes towing a breeze!
Skip,

I watched some of his videos.

I like the JK setup. The frame member between the two frame horns on the JK adds a little more support to the setup. Also, the tow bar attachment plates on the JK baseplate are welded to the top of the baseplate, which is the same as the JL steel bumper baseplate. On the JL plastic bumper version, the tow bar attachments are more “free-standing.”

I have a small concern about the strength of the frame horns, which I posted in another thread. Thought about fabricating a metal strap to tie in the horizontal frame member. I do not have the Jeep yet to inspect it.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/best-setup-for-rv-flat-tow.4797/page-29#post-1283796

The nylon spacer is a nice touch. I was planning to attach a piece of angle iron to the bottom lip of the bumper that would server as attachment point for the wire socket, brake cable and breakaway cable. I will cut a notch in the top of the baseplate to feed the cables.

I will most likely use the ready brake as well.

Thanks,
Ken

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired

IrnBear

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you put in the brake circuit disconnect that NSA recommends? I’ve been looking for info related to it - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...plain-this-wiring-diagram-to-me-please.60091/
Wow, I just looked at that thread...
No, I just used the wiring setup that is in my thread.
RoadMaster Universal Wiring Kit
The yellow silver elevtodes with blue wire connects

No cutting of wires in the cabin at all
Just back at the tail lights to splice in the mentioned wiring kit

My jeep has probably been towed more miles then driven:LOL: with no problems

I'm not sure what is being discussed in that other thread

Bradley

I have attached pics of my install
I usually have the Demco Caps on, but they are in the motorhome at the moment
Pic one you can see how the wires and cables are hidden
Pic two the wires out of their little box and the cables out of their hiding spots
Pic three is the only place I could figure to install the emergency brake activation box
Pic 4 is the cables at the brake peddle

IMG_8551.jpg

IMG_8552.jpg

IMG_8553.jpg

IMG_8554.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Wow, I just looked at that thread...
No, I just used the wiring setup that is in my thread.
RoadMaster Universal Wiring Kit
The yellow silver elevtodes with blue wire connects

No cutting of wires in the cabin at all
Just back at the tail lights to splice in the mentioned wiring kit

My jeep has probably been towed more miles then driven:LOL: with no problems

I'm not sure what is being discussed in that other thread

Bradley

I have attached pics of my install
I usually have the Demco Caps on, but they are in the motorhome at the moment
Pic one you can see how the wires and cables are hidden
Pic two the wires out of their little box and the cables out of their hiding spots
Pic three is the only place I could figure to install the emergency brake activation box
Pic 4 is the cables at the brake peddle

Jeep Wrangler JL NSA RV Products (Ready Brute Elite) users, lend me your knowledge IMG_8554

Jeep Wrangler JL NSA RV Products (Ready Brute Elite) users, lend me your knowledge IMG_8554

Thanks for the response. The relay is to keep the Jeep lights from overriding the RV lights when you put on the brakes and signal light at the same time. Have you had any issues with the Jeep's lights overriding the RV lights?

IrnBear

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the response. The relay is to keep the Jeep lights from overriding the RV lights when you put on the brakes and signal light at the same time. Have you had any issues with the Jeep's lights overriding the RV lights?
I'm curious if this is a keyed vehicle issue
My Jeep has the fob, push the dash button to start the engine, push the button to stop the engine
When we are in tow mode, with the gears in there places (that's my wife's job), the engine is off, thus everything in the vehicle is off. No Aux setting to accidentally leave on or anything like that.

Thus nothing from the jeep has power during this process, no brake lights from the jeep when brake pedal is engaged (pulled)

I hope this helps

Bradley
Sponsored