NOW what!? <Broken axle shaft bolt>

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
The part with 4 bolts that holds the axle shaft and bearing assembly to the axle tube? Then yes. I can't get the carrier out until I do this. I'm trying to resist the allure of the die grinder cutoff wheel right now. I've got a good notch in the end of the stud, but I can't hold it steady enough to break through the nut torque.
You have a couple options. Grind the nut off or cut the stud off. You can try removing the other 3, then wedge a pry bar between the bearing retainer and the axle tube. Apply pressure and try to spin the nut off. But honestly it’s not worth the extra effort. It’s not going to help with reassembly, and that’s where the real problem lies. Unless the stud is in good shape and you have access to a welder, you’re gonna be replacing at least the axle bearing retainer if it’s available separately.
Sponsored

workky

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
accidentdoctor.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Self Employed
Just make it happen soilder, there is no backup, no reinforcemen. Its just you and this stud. Show him what you're made of. Take no prisoner's

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Just make it happen soilder, there is no backup, no reinforcemen. Its just you and this stud. Show him what you're made of. Take no prisoner's
Got it. I cut a notch in and wedged a flathead on a slide-handle nut driver to keep the bolt still. I was able to back the nut off enough before I wrecked the end that I could fit my die-grinder between the nut and the axle.
Still going to have to wait 1+ month for a new axle shaft, but now I can at least do the ring/pinion setup.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Got it. I cut a notch in and wedged a flathead on a slide-handle nut driver to keep the bolt still. I was able to back the nut off enough before I wrecked the end that I could fit my die-grinder between the nut and the axle.
Still going to have to wait 1+ month for a new axle shaft, but now I can at least do the ring/pinion setup.
Just now seeing this. Been running errands all day.

This is a very common occurrence.

The only answers are to cut the nut off and then weld it, if the stud is good. OR

Cut the stud off and replace the retaining plate, which may be hard to find.

However, I have about a dozen spare, complete axle shafts here. I can ship you a new set of shafts. You can have them for free.

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Jeep Wrangler JL NOW what!? <Broken axle shaft bolt> B308D301-756C-4220-BE10-CA5D4DDDD341

at dealership. They think they can have everything in Tuesday. Now that I have that handy 20-ton shop press I can do it myself.
Edit: wrong parts, they have to order a full assembly. 1+ month out and almost $600. I’m going to research options

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Jeep Wrangler JL NOW what!? <Broken axle shaft bolt> B308D301-756C-4220-BE10-CA5D4DDDD341

at dealership. They think they can have everything in Tuesday. Now that I have that handy 20-ton shop press I can do it myself.
Edit: wrong parts, they have to order a full assembly. 1+ month out and almost $600. I’m going to research options
Did you read my post?

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Did you read my post?
It doesn’t appear that way. I don’t even have a need for axles at the moment, but I’m tempted to take you up on the offer.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I did, I was hoping to find something local in stock. No dice though.
Do you have a passenger rear complete shaft assembly? Are these leftover from chromoly upgrades?
Yeah, left overs; pay it forward axle shafts.

I do have a passenger assembly.

PM me an address and I'll get it out Monday morning.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I did, I was hoping to find something local in stock. No dice though.
Do you have a passenger rear complete shaft assembly? Are these leftover from chromoly upgrades?
Call around to all your local off-road shops. You're bound to find a set of factory shafts sitting around for the same reason I have some sitting around.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
I'm going to be out of town a while, so I'll start by taking your advice and calling the shop down the road from me to see if they have one lying around from a chromoly update. If I can't find anything I'll try to sync a date with you to hit the next window I'm home for.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I'm going to be out of town a while, so I'll start by taking your advice and calling the shop down the road from me to see if they have one lying around from a chromoly update. If I can't find anything I'll try to sync a date with you to hit the next window I'm home for.
Sounds like a plan, man.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I'm not following why this one axle retaining stud is not replaceable.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I'm not following why this one axle retaining stud is not replaceable.
Because they’re pressed into the plate. It’s not like a wheel stud. You have to replace the plate or buy an axle assembly.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Because they’re pressed into the plate. It’s not like a wheel stud. You have to replace the plate or buy an axle assembly.
That doesn't make sense that it can't be cut flush and knocked out of the plate and knock in a new one. Or just use a bolt and spot weld it onto the plate.
Sponsored