NOW what!? <Broken axle shaft bolt>

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Ok, so I'm planning on fixing my rear ring/pinion tomorrow. This will be the 3rd set of 5.13's to go into my rear diff. The first two were done by a shop, so naturally nobody is touching this anymore but me.

In preparation, I was doing tear-down today so I could take readings and a pattern on the howling set to take back to the shop and try and get a refund if I can prove their install was incorrect. Minor issue pulling one brake rotor, but I'm sure I can find the hex flange lock nut I partially stripped (my fault, not the problem I'm posting about).
I am on the Passenger side axle shaft. My 2nd to last nut was taking forever to get off. I pulled the socket off, and found out the stud has come off the axle shaft bracket.

What do I do here? Notch the end of the stud so I can hold it with a flathead screwdriver and use a box wrench to get the nut off? From there do I need a whole new axle shaft before I can put this together or can I use something to re-attach it? It doesn't look like @AllMoparParts.com has the bracket. Here is their page, and that's the one part on the diagram not for sale.
I've got 3 people coming over tomorrow, and it would be a bummer if they can't ride in the jeep when we're done because I have to wait a week for a new shaft.
Sponsored

workky

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
accidentdoctor.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Self Employed
I had the exact same problem with the exact same nut. I put the stud under a bind . Just pulled the axle out and kept turning the nut and it finally came off. I welded the stud it so it would never do that again.

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
I had the exact same problem with the exact same nut. I put the stud under a bind . Just pulled the axle out and kept turning the nut and it finally came off. I welded the stud it so it would never do that again.
What do you mean by "under a bind"? Did you find something to hold against it, or were you just pulling backwards on the shaft as hard as possible to develop friction?

workky

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
accidentdoctor.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
You can also grind halfway through the nut and wack it with a chisel

Sponsored

workky

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
accidentdoctor.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
I just worked with it,took all the other nuts off, pulled on the axle until the nut was flush with the housing and kept turning it, it finally came off

workky

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
accidentdoctor.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Mine came out further than yours, I only had like 3 threads to go, didn’t realize it was bottomed out

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
This jeep is cursed. It's getting sold once I fix the gears.

workky

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
accidentdoctor.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
The way the flange is made it’s like a pressed stud, just like a lugnut, it it’s spinning I don’t see any other way of getting it off other than cutting the nut off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
The way the flange is made it’s like a pressed stud, just like a lugnut, it it’s spinning I don’t see any other way of getting it off other than cutting the nut off.
Yeah, I can't even get to that though. So I think I need to notch the end closest to the diff. That will allow me to stop it spinning with a flathead and then I can wrench it off. I'll have to go deep enough I can hold it. I'm wondering if that will allow me to get the nut all the way off, and then get the stud welded back on.
I can't find shafts in stock that come with the bearing/retainer. So if I can't re-use this, my Jeep is stuck in the garage for another 1-4 months.

workky

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
accidentdoctor.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
I feel ya, I think I would try and use a Drexel and cut the nut off

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I have never seen a thread in more need of @chevymitchell since I started coming to this forum. Lol.
My feelings exactly. The only thing threaded on a Jeep axle shaft is a wheel stud. I think he may be talking about the axle bearing retainer, but definitely not the axle shaft.

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
My feelings exactly. The only thing threaded on a Jeep axle shaft is a wheel stud. I think he may be talking about the axle bearing retainer, but definitely not the axle shaft.
The part with 4 bolts that holds the axle shaft and bearing assembly to the axle tube? Then yes. I can't get the carrier out until I do this. I'm trying to resist the allure of the die grinder cutoff wheel right now. I've got a good notch in the end of the stud, but I can't hold it steady enough to break through the nut torque.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I would put some heat into the nut with a propane torch for about 20 or 30 seconds, then use a pry bar to push the axle out to put some leverage on the stud and spin the nut off. I’d then carefully put a couple tack welds on the stud and tighten up carefully ( no impact).
Sponsored