Sponsored

Now It Gets Interesting. Tommy's Dad Purchased A Bronco With Sasquatch Package.

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
You have to compare the apples to apples.
Sasquatch to Rubicon Recon.
My Jeep will always be my jeep not my Bronco.
My Jeep Rubicon always will win over Bronco.
Jeep will get better because of competition.
What other competitors does jeep really have?
Other than Bronco that is.
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Well, I'm out here now and he's going to miss a lot of good trails without lockers. Just like the two trails I made that side-by-side couldnt make.
I'm amazed how little I use my lockers on a lot of challenging trails here in CO. Of all the Rubicon features that have helped me out the most, it's typically been just the low range transfer case.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I am in the "buy the best you can" camp, on your given budget. You can not equal Rubicon performance with a lesser model without spending Rubicon money anyway.
That would be a fun project to do for a video series, if I had the budget. Buy a Sport and turn it into a Rubicon. I bet it's cheaper to build a takeoff Rubicon than to buy one off the lot. There are a lot of Rubicon takeoff parts out there for sale.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Are they? Both are targeted at exploring trails/forest roads and getting to remote campsites that a regular car can’t get to.
In case you aren't aware, the Willys comes with 32" tires, open diffs (LSD on rear), and higher gears and the Bronco comes with 35s, lockers front and rear, and quite a bit lower gears. Also, the Willys is a 2 door and the Bronco is a 4 door. Yes, they are both off-road oriented but they are very different in specs.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I'm amazed how little I use my lockers on a lot of challenging trails here in CO. Of all the Rubicon features that have helped me out the most, it's typically been just the low range transfer case.
I've noticed that I use the swaybar disconnect a lot just for comfort in steering and the rear locker to smooth out the slips. Basically both for comfort most of the time; however, both lockers were necessary in Moab to get up the bigger ledges. It's nice to know it's there if you need it. Kinda like the winch I've never used.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
That would be a fun project to do for a video series, if I had the budget. Buy a Sport and turn it into a Rubicon. I bet it's cheaper to build a takeoff Rubicon than to buy one off the lot. There are a lot of Rubicon takeoff parts out there for sale.
I bet you would have a hard time making a Rubicon for cheaper. If you could it would require a lot of free labor and wouldn't come with a warranty, if that is important to you.

I am getting older now and have no desire for "builds" I don't build my cars or sleds anymore. I find the higher end factory built stuff to be perfectly rewarding with way less hassle. I have built a couple of Porsche track cars, built up a 2 dr G-wagon, built a nasty old GS455 Buick and built several scary snowmobiles. It just isn't interesting to me anymore but I fully understand that it is to many, because I have been there.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I've noticed that I use the swaybar disconnect a lot just for comfort in steering and the rear locker to smooth out the slips. Basically both for comfort most of the time; however, both lockers were necessary in Moab to get up the bigger ledges. It's nice to know it's there if you need it. Kinda like the winch I've never used.
I always run with the bar disconnect, smooths out the ride for sure. I also pro actively use the lockers on the "just maybe" sections like you mention because that too smooths out the ride. No backing up and taking a run, just cycle the buttons as needed. I love having the lockers and use them almost every time we are out.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I bet you would have a hard time making a Rubicon for cheaper. If you could it would require a lot of free labor and wouldn't come with a warranty, if that is important to you.

I am getting older now and have no desire for "builds" I don't build my cars or sleds anymore. I find the higher end factory built stuff to be perfectly rewarding with way less hassle. I have built a couple of Porsche track cars, built up a 2 dr G-wagon, built a nasty old GS455 Buick and built several scary snowmobiles. It just isn't interesting to me anymore but I fully understand that it is to many, because I have been there.
I ran the numbers. Even doing the labor myself "for free" (God knows I'd spend at least $1,000 on beer working on it), you can't turn a Sport into a Rubicon cheaper than you can buy a Rubicon. Price a D-44 with lockers, a lift kit, tires, wheels, swaybar disconnect, etc.... Your best bet would be to find a $2,000 CJ carcass and build it up. You're not going to do it with a $35,000 base price with $15,000 for axles alone.

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
It's not a game changer or anything, but I love the frameless doors. It makes top off/doors on look so much better off the lot.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I feel like this video belongs in this thread...

Sounds like we'll get the real details on Wednesday.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Minus a warranty.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
He wont get any upgrades if his claimed budget concerns were honest... These two machines are obviously at the opposite end of the spectrum, anybody can see that. The Willys is no match for that Sasquatch without thousands in "upgrades". Some seem to like going that route. I am in the "buy the best you can" camp, on your given budget. You can not equal Rubicon performance with a lesser model without spending Rubicon money anyway.

Obviously these purchases were a fun way to earn a living for these guys. More power to them. Should be fun to watch.
Plus you get a new car warranty if you buy the Rubicon verses build up something else.

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
The great content from TFL continues. Now we can get an informed look at the Bronco.

just cant get use to those tacky fender flares. Dnt get me wrong i do like the bronco and not a hater. But for some reason my eyes cant stop gravitating to those flares

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
It's not a game changer or anything, but I love the frameless doors. It makes top off/doors on look so much better off the lot.
The only useful thing about the door frame is the frame and the mirror base is where I lift them. Imagine it's cumbersome with no frame.

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
Quite honestly I'm glad these two are up against each other. It will be nice to see how capable a true blue collar Jeep compares to something twice it's price. Most people (maybe I'm wrong?!) don't have $70K to drop on a 4x4 just to go and bash it around! I've seen some pretty impressive climbs on stock sports and am convinced they will be closer than you think. Obviously rock crawling could be challenging to the Willys, but I'm hoping to see some other type of moderate/hard trail runs.

Watch this guy in the UK tackle some obstacles in his stock JK: YouTube Link
Sponsored