Sponsored

Now I can never unsee it....

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
Thank you, but it just isn’t so …. At least on mine. Trust me, I’ve read the threads, sat out there in pitch black darkness with it off, in assc, in run, played with lighting and display settings, tried everything with the door closed and then open. Nada, nothing.
There are a few other conditions besides it being dark. Start the Jeep and turn the headlights on. the dimmer can't be set to daytime brightness, roll it down a couple notches until the instrument cluster starts to dim and be adjustable. The other dimmer that controls the courtesy lights needs to be near the top.

I promise you have at least door handle lights.
Sponsored

Flatties 4ever

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72Bronco, 95-12v,48Cj2a,53Cj3b,52M38-v8, JlSport
Occupation
Electrician
There are a few other conditions besides it being dark. Start the Jeep and turn the headlights on. the dimmer can't be set to daytime brightness, roll it down a couple notches until the instrument cluster starts to dim and be adjustable. The other dimmer that controls the courtesy lights needs to be near the top.

I promise you have at least door handle lights.
Yep, did the headlight on/off thing. Yes, one roll switch controls instrument brightness and roll bar light. Yes, I have a cup holders light. No door handle lights that are visible.
IMO; the roll switch controls the brightness of the courtesy lights in all models except the Sport, where it does absolutely nothing.

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, did the headlight on/off thing. Yes, one roll switch controls instrument brightness and roll bar light. Yes, I have a cup holders light. No door handle lights that are visible.
IMO; the roll switch controls the brightness of the courtesy lights in all models except the Sport, where it does absolutely nothing.
My yellow Jeep over there <-- is a base model Sport. It has the door handle lights and that slider controls their brightness.

Flatties 4ever

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
We have light switches in our house that we have no idea where they go to or what they control.. This is the second home we have owned like this... I might have to pay $$$ just to figure out what they go to.
When I was still working as an Electrician I went on a service call. The people said their porch light and living room receptacle did not work. I pulled back the curtains revealing two switches. They were genuinely surprised. 😂

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the owner's manual....

Jeep Wrangler JL Now I can never unsee it.... 1669143999394

Sponsored

Flatties 4ever

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
My yellow Jeep over there <-- is a base model Sport. It has the door handle lights and that slider controls their brightness.
You wouldn’t happen to have a Sport S ??? Electric windows, locks etc….
I have a 2021 December two door Sport with manual windows and locks.

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
Ya I have two roll switches. One controls the instrument panel and turns on interior lights but the other doesn’t do anything on my Jeep either. I have Sport S but limited options.

I also hate that the rear window on hard top leaves a gap when lifted that lets water drip into the back. Never an issue on my TJ.

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You wouldn’t happen to have a Sport S ??? Electric windows, locks etc….
I have a 2021 December two door Sport with manual windows and locks.
No, my yellow one isn't an S. It's a base model. It's only options were automatic transmission and hard top with tinted windows. It's got manual windows and locks.

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya I have two roll switches. One controls the instrument panel and turns on interior lights but the other doesn’t do anything on my Jeep either. I have Sport S but limited options.

I also hate that the rear window on hard top leaves a gap when lifted that lets water drip into the back. Never an issue on my TJ.

There's enough people that believe that switch does nothing that they have now eliminated it and now I have to deal with the floor lights being the same brightness as the instrument cluster instead of being able to turn them off independently in our 2023. :LOL:

Sponsored

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even the pic of the light switch you posted is not what I have. There is no “Auto” on my switch.
There's no auto headlights on my switch in my yellow Jeep either, yet the door lights still work.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I’m disappointed nobody mentioned that crooked parking brake lever?!? 🫣🤣
Jeep Wrangler JL Now I can never unsee it.... 1669143999394
Actually, that angle makes it more ergonomic to grab and use on the fly. An emergency brake can be a useful tool for offroading. Tear a brake line, it can still get you back to civilization. Coming down a steep descent that could result in a front flip if the service brakes are used, being able to drag the rear tires can help keep the rear end down and behind you while rolling through to level ground.

Flatties 4ever

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
No, my yellow one isn't an S. It's a base model. It's only options were automatic transmission and hard top with tinted windows. It's got manual windows and locks.
Besides a year difference and a hard top (mines a soft top), in theory they should be the same. But Jeep is not know for being consistent, they just change things or use parts on hand.
edit: okay you got my curiosity peaked. I just went out and looked for wires. My door has 5 wires running through the limit strap. I assume 1 for a ground, maybe 2 or 3 for a door position switch and (maybe one for door handle light). So, tonight I will look again, but I looked closely before, idk how I could miss a light in the dark?

T.Pigott

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon 2018 Grand Cherokee Overland HA
Occupation
Soldier
Vehicle Showcase
I never knew it let you know what gear you're in. huh...
The early ones didn't. I don't know when it started but my '18 wouldn't show me. I thought it would've been nice to know what gear I was in back then but then realized that was stupid because I was the one that put it in gear. Anyway, after driving it awhile you just know what gear you're in.

Regards,
Sponsored