OP
OP
mjindy

mjindy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius (Wife’s); 2021 Sting Grey Willys Unlimited
I kid you not, that post scared the crap out of me too and has been on my mind a couple times a day since reading it. I take delivery of my very first Jeep/Wrangler in just about 4 hours and will be driving it 300 miles on the PA Turnpike next weekend. I’m sure that post will linger with me the entire trip. That said, God is good and will always take care of His own. So I’m going to side with the person below that mentioned all the Jeeps on the road that haven’t experienced such a tragic moment, and have faith my experience will fall within that category. But yes - that post did shake me up a bit. Okay, gotta run. My new baby will be here soon and I’ve got paperwork to review and sign. 🙌👍☺

96977E43-C5F3-4CA9-8783-4387C056CE40.jpeg

0AA65FEB-DEFB-4AD2-8D1B-BDBFA7E56A84.jpeg
This you for your reply. Have a fun and enjoyable trip! BTW Beautiful Jeep!
Sponsored

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
I would even go as far as calling Jeep directly, tell them you are a Marine Vet that once owned a '46. That this is you would like an honorary lifetime warranty on your purchase.

Heck I'll sign a petition!

OP
OP
mjindy

mjindy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would even go as far as calling Jeep directly, tell them you are a Marine Vet that once owned a '46. That this is you would like an honorary lifetime warranty on your purchase.

Heck I'll sign a petition!
I guess considering my age that lifetime warranty probably would be that long 😅

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
"i read a post about a person having issues with his car and now i'm scared"

You're not ready for cars, of any make. Better keep riding your bike.

Mtrctylarry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have been so excited as I have been planning to purchase a new Sahara with the one touch sliding top so I joined this forum to learn all I can about the Sahara. I know I’m just beginning to dive into all the posts but now I’m having second thoughts. First and foremost is the post about the Jeep that died in the road and all functions stopped working, on more that one occasion. I’m glad he is ok and was able to use his driving skills to divert a tragedy. But that would scare the crap out of me. Then there is the complaint about the squeaky sliding top. I’m thinking now I should just keep my Ridgeline. Any encouraging words? Thanks. From a first time post
That’s what the Volume knob on the radio is for :). I’ve had the sky touch roof for a little over two years now, and not one NVH concern whatsoever, love it!
Life’s way to short, Buy the Jeep...Ditch the Honda...

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@mjindy,

I wasn't going to respond giving this topic even more oxygen, but eventually changed my mind just to give you some confidence.

First and foremost, I really feel bad for what happened to that wonderfully brave family in a terribly near fateful condition. Thankfully however, stories like this are extremely rare.

Total system failures are so astronomically improbable. Not impossible as we discovered, but still not very likely to occur. In addition, this could indeed happen with any car. Have you read the stories of people hacking the purely digital vehicles (mostly Tesla's) attempting to take full control remotely?

So, getting behind the wheel of any vehicle (any car whatsoever) brings inherent risk.

I just nearly avoided killing a 16 year old distracted driver on his phone. He pulled out into traffic without looking and I could have T-Boned him at 40mph. I swerved, he hit me and everyone walked away with only minor bruises and the trauma of being in an accident. This allowed me to then rent a JL while looking for a replacement vehicle.

My very first post ever on this forum:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/i-dont-have-the-death-wobble-yet.42088/post-931659

Describes a pretty amazing death wobble event on the very first time I ever drove a JL ever. It was with this rental 2019 JL 2 door sport. However, I otherwise enjoyed the vehicle so much, I purchased a new 2019 JL 2 door Sport. Almost an exact match, just newer.

I have had absolutely ZERO issues with almost 17K miles now on this JL. This has been the BEST vehicle I've ever owned, by far, bar none. I'll likely drive nothing else (ever).

So while some other poor soul has had such an unfortunate incident, I personally don't know the underlying details. While worrisome, it gives me no pause to climb into my Wrangler cockpit and pilot my JL to wherever I care to go.

I'm certainly now on the lookout for other distracted drivers on their phones. That truthfully, scares the be-jesus out of me more than any system breakdown. I have every confidence in my JL to get me to my desired destination. 100% of the time.

Will problems arise, perhaps yes. All I can do, just like anyone is to stay keen, be situationally aware and work the problem. Just like any pilot would.

Decide whichever way you believe in your heart. I have, and don't regret driving the best vehicle ever.

My $.02 worth.
Jay

OP
OP
mjindy

mjindy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@mjindy,

I wasn't going to respond giving this topic even more oxygen, but eventually changed my mind just to give you some confidence.

First and foremost, I really feel bad for what happened to that wonderfully brave family in a terribly near fateful condition. Thankfully however, stories like this are extremely rare.

Total system failures are so astronomically improbable. Not impossible as we discovered, but still not very likely to occur. In addition, this could indeed happen with any car. Have you read the stories of people hacking the purely digital vehicles (mostly Tesla's) attempting to take full control remotely?

So, getting behind the wheel of any vehicle (any car whatsoever) brings inherent risk.

I just nearly avoided killing a 16 year old distracted driver on his phone. He pulled out into traffic without looking and I could have T-Boned him at 40mph. I swerved, he hit me and everyone walked away with only minor bruises and the trauma of being in an accident. This allowed me to then rent a JL while looking for a replacement vehicle.

My very first post ever on this forum:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/i-dont-have-the-death-wobble-yet.42088/post-931659

Describes a pretty amazing death wobble event on the very first time I ever drove a JL ever. It was with this rental 2019 JL 2 door sport. However, I otherwise enjoyed the vehicle so much, I purchased a new 2019 JL 2 door Sport. Almost an exact match, just newer.

I have had absolutely ZERO issues with almost 17K miles now on this JL. This has been the BEST vehicle I've ever owned, by far, bar none. I'll likely drive nothing else (ever).

So while some other poor soul has had such an unfortunate incident, I personally don't know the underlying details. While worrisome, it gives me no pause to climb into my Wrangler cockpit and pilot my JL to wherever I care to go.

I'm certainly now on the lookout for other distracted drivers on their phones. That truthfully, scares the be-jesus out of me more than any system breakdown. I have every confidence in my JL to get me to my desired destination. 100% of the time.

Will problems arise, perhaps yes. All I can do, just like anyone is to stay keen, be situationally aware and work the problem. Just like any pilot would.

Decide whichever way you believe in your heart. I have, and don't regret driving the best vehicle ever.

My $.02 worth.
Jay
Thank you for your response. Boy, sure glad you were able to avoid hurting that 16 yr old. Hopefully he has learned a valuable lesson. I have been negotiating with a local dealer so I’m hoping we can come together for a good deal.

Garrett

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I kid you not, that post scared the crap out of me too and has been on my mind a couple times a day since reading it. I take delivery of my very first Jeep/Wrangler in just about 4 hours and will be driving it 300 miles on the PA Turnpike next weekend. I’m sure that post will linger with me the entire trip. That said, God is good and will always take care of His own. So I’m going to side with the person below that mentioned all the Jeeps on the road that haven’t experienced such a tragic moment, and have faith my experience will fall within that category. But yes - that post did shake me up a bit. Okay, gotta run. My new baby will be here soon and I’ve got paperwork to review and sign. 🙌👍☺

96977E43-C5F3-4CA9-8783-4387C056CE40.jpeg

0AA65FEB-DEFB-4AD2-8D1B-BDBFA7E56A84.jpeg
Hi -- Wanted to tell you I picked up my Willys Jeep yesterday in Goshen, NY. I think you ordered around the same time. Sarge Green with tan interior. I'm super happy (I drove about 100 miles in it yesterday) and hope you are, too. Happy Thanksgiving.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

That's simply amazing.

A LAND ROVER MADE IT 600 MILES BEFORE IT SHIT ITSELF?

I think that calls for a "JD Power" award.
Just a heads up. The whole engine was to be replaced per the German engineer for the company. The. They offer a replacement from the local lot. TFL asked the dealer to install a winch like theirs had. First winch came in broken second the whole section of wiring harness was bad in the Land Rover. Now they’re waiting to take delivery of the third discovery that’s sad

Sponsored

xgiguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport Unlimited Willys
Occupation
Retired US Army, Retired NC Correctional officer
I had the same concerns about reliability based on all the reviews I read before I purchased my 2020 Wrangler Willys. Bottom line is that I "wanted" the Wrangler and was willing to take some risk to buy one. I haven't put many miles on it yet but am I a happy camper? Yes, sir, I am. I'll take the risk and be happy rather than worry and stew over should I or shouldn't I. Something to think about is if you do pull the trigger on the jeep, look at all the help you'll have sorting things out.

wizardfitz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I've riden harleys si ce 1974. You get on the forums and they're all a piece of crap. I almost didn't buy my 19 bc of all the complaints on the forums.
Then I realized. there are more people with that vehicle than on the forums. And the squeaky wheel gets the grease
Those with issues will complain all day, while the bbn others are out enjoying their ride
Are there lemons
Sure there are so for my piece of mind I got the extended warranty.
Lots of people say it's a waste of money, to me its piece of mind

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Any encouraging words?
Discovered when attempting to order a base Rubicon last January that the most recent build list of that time unexpectedly required me to buy an unwanted proximity key for starting the vehicle.... Had just experienced, "Key fob not recognized" in a GM rental.... The required proximity key killed the deal for me. So now I'm happily wheeling an appropriately built TJR for a net savings of 30 Grand. The Jeep I need must have these capabilities: 1) to reliably start a motor, 2) proceed on good rubber, 3) have available low gears with traction on demand to all four wheels, 4) provide good seating for climbing rocks, 5) be able to stop when and where I want and 6) in event of a break down to be easily diagnosed and repairable in remote terrain. All the Euro crap Jeep now requires means buying and wheeling a new Jeep is an increasingly risky and expensive business. If it wasn't for their capability and the just plain fun to drive in difficult and beautiful terrain which Jeep offers, no one would want one. Then there's this:
Jeep Wrangler JL Now I’m worried ChinaOwnsJee

One no longer knows who owns or is going to own Jeep. I miss the days when talk about walls only referred to trail obstacles.

Last edited: