Now I’m worried

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Ordered, GMC Denal Diesel, Triumph Bonnie
Hmmm...sorry that doesn't quite wash when someone buys a JL that loses all power driving it off the lot, or loses all power after 500 miles, or someone gets to know his Service Advisor on a first name basis after owning a JL for 2 months.

It is true that most JLs are trouble-free; I own one in fact. But it is also true that the probability of getting a bad one are significantly greater with FCA than most other automakers.

I LOVE my Jeep. But I cannot, in good conscious, assure a Honda owner that everything will be fine owning a Jeep. I don't even believe it myself.

Will it be fun? YES!
Will it be capable? HECK YES!
Will it be satisfying? Gratifying? YES and YEEEES!
Will it be trouble-free? Hmmm...well, it depends what you mean by "touble-free"...

Everything in life is a trade off.
When that happens,!it’s valid. I was just addressing the concerns of OP.
People love Subarus. But I’ve had two brand new ones that have failed to crank or went into limp mode with less than 2000 miles. I’ll never buy another one. But, 95 % of the people that buy them live them and I understand numbers.
I’m trying to devoid myself from binary thought.
Sponsored

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Exactly this.

Yeah, you see some posts here about problems that have happened. But that same thing could be said about every vehicle out there. There are ALWAYS problems.

There's like 200,000 Wranglers sold a year. Are every one of them complaining? There's no way this brand has been around so long without doing something right.

I've got a few friends that own Wranglers and they absolutely love them. One guy I work with has owned Wranglers for the past 15 years and said he's loved every minute of it and has had no problems outside of normal maintenance.

Just have to go with what you really want and feel good about your decision. Everything has a chance for problems. And probably the majority of all vehicles will be just fine.

I second everything Sean said.

Life’s too short to spend so much time worrying. Do what makes you happy, as long as you don’t hurt nobody and can afford it.

For every disaster lemon wrangler out there, there are thousands of trouble-free or nearly trouble-free ones rolling around.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The point that most seem to miss is that what makes a typical Honda owner happy is fundamentally different than what makes a traditional Jeep owner happy. Everyone’s happy, but for different reasons.

There’s no right or wrong, they are just different.

Jeep owners love to tinker, modify, explore the limits of what is possible. Honda owners value the certainty that their vehicle will start every time for 200,000 miles; and that it will operate efficiently and safely within the parameters set by the factory.

If you ever looked at the “options” on a Honda vehicle, the list would seem ridiculous to us: rain deflectors, splash guards, an extra USB port...

Is it possible for a Honda owner to make the jump? Absolutely! But only if s/he is well aware of the rewards —and punishments— that await.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
There's quite a few Wrangler owners who should not own Wranglers. They continuously compare them to their Subaru, BMW, Honda, Toyota, etc. They buy Wranglers for looks, status, etc. thinking they are just a rugged looking "car".

Owning a Wrangler means having an understanding it is an Off Road capable vehicle which is suitable for on road driving. The do not handle or steer like most other vehicles, so to compare them to other "practical" or "sensible" type vehicles is going to cause buyer remorse.

There are some negatives to having a Wrangler, with their perceived lack of quality and poor dealer service being the two main ones. But there are a lot of positives too, which have been detailed in previous posts.

For me, life is too short to drive practical or sensible vehicles, I'll do that in my 80's. I'll take the good with the bad and let others drive a boring Subaru, Camry, Accord, etc. I want a vehicle with the capability to go ANYWHERE and have the ease to be modified for whatever adventure I want.

I drive a Jeep Wrangler for the fun and it's capability and I own two. One with 29k miles and one with 8k miles......absolutely no issues with either one.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
What am I missing here? Jeeps (as a whole) are very reliable and safe.
Oh, you are being serious. My bad for assuming you were joking.

Any vehicle/brand is only as reliable or safe in relation to another.

When compared against most other automakers, Jeep, and FCA at large, are at the bottom of the pit.

Are Jeeps today more reliable than say 20 years ago? Perhaps. Although I have my own doubts.

Are Jeeps more reliable today than say a Honda, a Toyota or a Chevrolet? Not according to what vehicle owners themselves tell JD Power and other 3rd party entities.

Here’s just a few examples.

This is the latest owner-reported problems-per-100 units after 3 years of ownership.
Jeep Wrangler JL Now I’m worried 1605811674163

Here’s the year before
Jeep Wrangler JL Now I’m worried 1605811798289

And the year before that
Jeep Wrangler JL Now I’m worried 1605811844893

It must be noted, though, that Honda reliability is not what it used to be, either.

So, from that standpoint alone, I’d say the OP doesn’t have much to fear.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Thanks for the graph set. They are based on responses from a small sampling of the owners out there and also those that are prone to filling out surveys.

Reliable is reliable. I made no comparison and no comparison was intended. My statement stands that Jeeps are reliable and safe.

But if you want personal comparison, here it is:
I have never owned a Honda - no issues just not interested in them. Yes to Nissan, Subaru, Toyota, BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar, Ford, Chevrolet, VW, and of course Jeeps. I have spent far more time in the shop with all the other brands than I have with the Jeeps. My Toyotas spent far more in the shop than my Land Rovers or Jags. Mile for mile, I have spent less money on the Jeeps (excluding mods). So to me the Jeep is up near the top. I must be an anomaly, because I put good miles on the ones that are at the bottom and have good results.

So again, you do not need to make a comparison to be able to state that the Jeep is reliable and safe.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
I have been so excited as I have been planning to purchase a new Sahara with the one touch sliding top so I joined this forum to learn all I can about the Sahara. I know I’m just beginning to dive into all the posts but now I’m having second thoughts. First and foremost is the post about the Jeep that died in the road and all functions stopped working, on more that one occasion. I’m glad he is ok and was able to use his driving skills to divert a tragedy. But that would scare the crap out of me. Then there is the complaint about the squeaky sliding top. I’m thinking now I should just keep my Ridgeline. Any encouraging words? Thanks. From a first time post
coming here for opinions on Jeep reliability is like going to a gun forum to get an opinion on what caliber gun to buy.

Seriously though, if you buy a jeep and it's a pile of shit, it'll STILL hold its resale value

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Unfortunately, you can hear stories like that on any vehicle forum you go to. Too many computers in cars. Don't let any one story dissuade you from buying a vehicle you enjoy.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I love the people that join this forum, and then ask a ridiculous question. Then they never respond to anybody answering for them. It's a car. It's no different than buying a phone, toaster, computer or anything else man made with moving parts. You could get many years of great service out of it, or have problems from day one. We all hope that doesn't happen. Especially after spending our hard earned money. Don't join this forum, and ask a question, then never respond.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I have been so excited as I have been planning to purchase a new Sahara with the one touch sliding top so I joined this forum to learn all I can about the Sahara. I know I’m just beginning to dive into all the posts but now I’m having second thoughts. First and foremost is the post about the Jeep that died in the road and all functions stopped working, on more that one occasion. I’m glad he is ok and was able to use his driving skills to divert a tragedy. But that would scare the crap out of me. Then there is the complaint about the squeaky sliding top. I’m thinking now I should just keep my Ridgeline. Any encouraging words? Thanks. From a first time post
every make and model has its problems. that is why there is warranty's. I suggest taking each mof the wrangler models for a drive. see what fits you best and go from there. Plus for every one persons compliant there is 1000 that are completely happy. i have a first year JLU sport and have had no issues so far and now my whole family has jeeps

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

for those who follow TFL car, truck, or off-road they ordered a brand new land rover and within 600 miles had a check Engine light on it. its been at the dealer for 5 weeks so far with out resolve. all brands have problems. no dealer is 100% when putting out hundreds of thousands of vehicles

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Oh, you are being serious. My bad for assuming you were joking.

Any vehicle/brand is only as reliable or safe in relation to another.

When compared against most other automakers, Jeep, and FCA at large, are at the bottom of the pit.

Are Jeeps today more reliable than say 20 years ago? Perhaps. Although I have my own doubts.

Are Jeeps more reliable today than say a Honda, a Toyota or a Chevrolet? Not according to what vehicle owners themselves tell JD Power and other 3rd party entities.

Here’s just a few examples.

This is the latest owner-reported problems-per-100 units after 3 years of ownership.

Here’s the year before

And the year before that

It must be noted, though, that Honda reliability is not what it used to be, either.

So, from that standpoint alone, I’d say the OP doesn’t have much to fear.
note to self never by expensive cars.... all of them are trash
Sponsored