Sponsored

Now I’m worried

mjindy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius (Wife’s); 2021 Sting Grey Willys Unlimited
I have been so excited as I have been planning to purchase a new Sahara with the one touch sliding top so I joined this forum to learn all I can about the Sahara. I know I’m just beginning to dive into all the posts but now I’m having second thoughts. First and foremost is the post about the Jeep that died in the road and all functions stopped working, on more that one occasion. I’m glad he is ok and was able to use his driving skills to divert a tragedy. But that would scare the crap out of me. Then there is the complaint about the squeaky sliding top. I’m thinking now I should just keep my Ridgeline. Any encouraging words? Thanks. From a first time post
Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I have been so excited as I have been planning to purchase a new Sahara with the one touch sliding top so I joined this forum to learn all I can about the Sahara. I know I’m just beginning to dive into all the posts but now I’m having second thoughts. First and foremost is the post about the Jeep that died in the road and all functions stopped working, on more that one occasion. I’m glad he is ok and was able to use his driving skills to divert a tragedy. But that would scare the crap out of me. Then there is the complaint about the squeaky sliding top. I’m thinking now I should just keep my Ridgeline. Any encouraging words? Thanks. From a first time post
Considering how many Jeeps are on the road, I think you will be fine. One could argue that with the many Hondas on the road, there is going to be some significant failure of some degree. Keep in mind that bad experiences and failures are more likely to be publicized/socialized vs. the good ones. Most people do not take the time to write a raving review for a decent meal that meets their expectations at a restaurant; it would take an exceptional experience for the average consumer to vocalize their satisfaction. However, one bad experience at a restaurant and the average consumer is quick to voice his/her displeasure. Just food for thought, good luck with your decision.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I second everything Sean said.

Life’s too short to spend so much time worrying. Do what makes you happy, as long as you don’t hurt nobody and can afford it.

For every disaster lemon wrangler out there, there are thousands of trouble-free or nearly trouble-free ones rolling around.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Forum members are in the minority when it comes to how many people own Jeeps. You will always read the negatives about any product on the internet. Nobody ever posts that their products work as intended!

That said there are some people that have issues, but you will have a warranty to take care of any issues you may have that are from a defective product.

Buy with confidence and enjoy!

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
2 main types of people that join these kinds of forums are enthusiasts and those looking for help with a problem. For every one of the former, there are 100+ of the latter. That naturally turns a forum into a magnet of complaints and issues that may appear larger scale than it is. The reality, is that the vast majority of jeeps are being driven around everyday problem free. I'm not trying to talk you into getting one, but thought it was worth pointing out that these forums can falsely portray more gloom and doom than there actually is. Also, its simple human nature to be quick to jump on the soap box when something is wrong, but rarely does that happen when things are going great. Every now and then, someone starts a thread for those who are problem free and enjoying their jeeps, to help offset the bad. Those threads tend to grow very fast.

Go out to multiple dealers and test drive a bunch of different jeeps. Also, I've got to agree with Sean above. The one touch top seems a bit on the sensitive side. I'd suggest adding a Bestop Sunrider to a hardtop. It replaces the front freedom panels, and can be opened or closed in seconds without leaving the drivers seat.

Best of luck!

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
If everybody was scared about buying a vehicle because of a few issues then no cars would ever be sold.

Buy what you want.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
When you are buying a Jeep from FCA, you are NOT buying a vehicle that ranks highly across “quality” scores. In fact, it generally ranks in the bottom third. This isn’t an outlier result in one particular model or model year. It’s quite consistent over time and survey. You should keep this in your mind: “FCA ranks low, over and over and over”

BUT......

be careful with anecdotal Stories. Did they happen? Yes. Does stuff like that happen to other vehicles? Yes. Are vehicle forums like this one, across all brands, full of stories of problems? Yes. Are some severe? Yes. Do they effect all of that brands vehicles? Generally not.

Should you choose to buy a Jeep, you will likely not have any significant problems. But you may. And, if you do you may also run headlong into FCA’s craptastic dealer and customer service network which will make things even worse.

jjandascog

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
LOL, yes if you look around, most (if not all) vehicle specific forums would scare any person away form that specific vehicle. It is the equivalent of going to a Jeep Dealership and looking in the shop and saying man the shop is full of broken Jeeps I ain't buys one of those they all break!

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Have you test driven a Jeep yet?

Reliability will likely be better overall with your Honda...that said, I had a bought new 2010 Accord that was a roving pile of shit, burned 1 qt of oil every 1K miles. 4.5 qt capacity, oil changes every 5K miles according to the owner's manual. Do the math. And Honda claimed it was "normal".

No guarantees in life. You roll your dice and take your chances. I'd say drive one. If you like it, buy it and get extended warranty (assuming you plan to keep it stock) through FCA if you're worried about the reliability.

Personally, I would NOT get that top....but that's a personal preference call.
You better not let sf5211 aka Steve hear you say that!!! He will smack you upside down for trash talking the sliding roof that he is so proud of!!!

For every disaster lemon wrangler out there, there are thousands of trouble-free or nearly trouble-free ones rolling around.
Yeah BUT why do I have to be the LEMON??????:facepalm:

For every one of the former, there are 100+ of the latter. That naturally turns a forum into a magnet of complaints and issues that may appear larger scale than it is.
Scuse me Mike??!!??

Jeep Wrangler JL Now I’m worried you-talking-to-me

Just you wait!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I traded my Tacoma for the Jeep in June. If you read the tacomaworld.com forum you'll wonder how a hell can the Tacoma be at the top of the reliability scale.

Like others said, forums are not the best place to gauge reliability.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Listen:

1. They could build 1000 Porsche 911s and within a week at least one of those would wine up back at the service department within the first week for something, and more within the first 1 year. Nothing is perfect.

2. Honda Ridgeline....... Every time I think of that vehicle I think of that Chuck Norris commercial and crack up...lol

CulpMinMn

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2001 TJ, 2014 WK2
If you take care of your jeep, your jeep will take care of you for decades to come. Don't let these posts discourage you from purchasing a wrangler, this is just nitpicking.

When these JLs gets to be 20 years old like my TJ you will yell at it, and curse at it, just like any relationship. Hell, I have even had temporary breakups with the TJ where I would post exoberant for sale ads for the jeep that no one in their right mind would reply too, but people always did. But each time in the end I was never able to split with it, and never will.

I've never had a more vehicle more fun to drive. I have a WK2 Overland, and my 20 year old TJ is still more fun to drive than my WK2. And when the Hydro Blue drops on the Jl I expect nothing less from my new JL.

rotlex

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
You will find this with every vehicle out there. We have owned Honda's for 20+ years, our last one being a CRV. (Traded it for the Wrangler though my wife still owns and drives her Odyssey). The CRV was fine, but man, hop on the CRV forums and you will learn about oil dilution, failed\horrible CVT transmissions, cheap plastic interiors etc. etc. You would think it was the worst vehicle on the market.

I was a little worried with the Wrangler, but frankly, it's got a great warranty, there are thousands upon thousands on the road, and mine has been perfect to date. Besides all that, it is the first vehicle I have owned in over 35 years that I actually enjoy driving, updating, and just having fun with. (Last one was a 70's Camaro that was just FUN).

After making this purchase, I can honestly say I will always have at least one Wrangler in the garage, and I'll probably replace the Odyssey with a Grand Cherokee if they come out with a decent hybrid version down the road.