Sponsored

Now I’m worried

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Every make and model has issues - that is why every maker has a warranty. While that one post is troubling it is no way representative of Jeep as a whole. You are overthinking it.
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
My wife said the same thing when I had the top and doors off. As we drove down the highway at 65 mph in 103˚ weather she asked if we should use the AC!! After looking at her like she just told me she was actually an alien, I told her there was no point in running the AC. At the end of a 20+ mile drive on a dirt road passing by a couple ghost towns in the hills south of us, she actually like not having doors. My girls beg to run with no doors and we are now in the 7-8 months of perfect Jeep weather here in Southern Arizona.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
If you enjoyed playing with Lego or Mr. Potato Head when you were little, then the Jeep is for you. Being able to swap parts around and make it your own is a beautiful thing.

Then if it does ever need to go to the dealer, or a shop for some repairs - at least people who see it there will say "Nice! Check that Jeep out!" and some guys and girls will be checking out your mods to see if they want those for their Jeep.

And that's totally worth something :rock:

:CWL:

But seriously I read that Jeeps were poor in reliability before purchasing and it didn't factor into my decision. For some people it will.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have been so excited as I have been planning to purchase a new Sahara with the one touch sliding top so I joined this forum to learn all I can about the Sahara. I know I’m just beginning to dive into all the posts but now I’m having second thoughts. First and foremost is the post about the Jeep that died in the road and all functions stopped working, on more that one occasion. I’m glad he is ok and was able to use his driving skills to divert a tragedy. But that would scare the crap out of me. Then there is the complaint about the squeaky sliding top. I’m thinking now I should just keep my Ridgeline. Any encouraging words? Thanks. From a first time post
None.

If you value what Honda offers —i.e., reliability, safety, conformity, anonymity— you will not be a happy Jeep owner.

FWIW - the 2021 Ridgeline looks nicer...

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I know I’m just beginning to dive into all the posts but now I’m having second thoughts.

I’m thinking now I should just keep my Ridgeline. Any encouraging words?
Just last month, I traded my Ridgeline for a 2021 JLU. This means I'm either the best, or the worst, source of advice on the matter. ;)

Web forums in general, and automotive forums in particular, tend to magnify issues and problems. This is due in equal part to our natural preference to discuss the negative before the positive, and the writing skills that folks have, or don't have, when they compose their posts.

The natural effect of the foregoing is the recurring elevation of the trivial into the non-trivial. This isn't to say that genuinely serious problems don't occur. Rather, what some folks believe (and want others to believe) is an important problem...isn't, really. Not always.

Consider, for example, the hue and cry in the eternal debate regarding the alleged necessity of so-called "safety" packages on the new Wranglers. A subject that gets a few folks worked up into a lather, puts me to sleep. My dislike of such electronic nannies informs my opinion of and reaction to them. And so I'm content to watch as others go down that rabbit hole.

My Ridgeline was dead reliable. And it was a dead boring appliance. For almost 12 years, that didn't bother me. I preferred it, actually. One day I decided that I wanted the same bit of fun in the driving experience that my YJ provided all those years ago. Two months after I configured and ordered a new JLU, here I am. It was the correct decision for me. Weigh your choices and make the best one for yourself. Best of luck to you. :like:

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
I have been so excited as I have been planning to purchase a new Sahara with the one touch sliding top so I joined this forum to learn all I can about the Sahara. I know I’m just beginning to dive into all the posts but now I’m having second thoughts. First and foremost is the post about the Jeep that died in the road and all functions stopped working, on more that one occasion. I’m glad he is ok and was able to use his driving skills to divert a tragedy. But that would scare the crap out of me. Then there is the complaint about the squeaky sliding top. I’m thinking now I should just keep my Ridgeline. Any encouraging words? Thanks. From a first time post
The 2020 Rubicon I spoke of in my thread you mentioned is my SIXTH Wrangler. The prior five all ran well with no major issues and aside from the 2020s major issue it is having was starting to become one of my favorites. I am NO complainer and don’t expect perfection from my Jeep’s or other vehicles, I know better. But I do expect them not to leave me stranded or place me in a dangerous situation not of my making 100% of the time. Especially when they are less then five months old and have under 4500 miles on them.

Did I get a bad one? Unfortunately yes. Have others gotten bad ones with similar issues? Yes quite a good number have, you can find several stories alone of similar events happening to JL owner here on this forum. Have most gotten good JLs? YES

Should you buy a Sahara? Well if you do you are buying one with more knowledge of what “could”go wrong and thus be in a better position to deal with it should it ever happen. And that is the hole point of my thread. To help others be better prepared should something like what happened to me happen to them and finding out the “why and how’s” of it so they can be passed along for other to benefit from. It is NOT about bashing on the JLs or “nick picking” about XYZ issues.

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
When you see problems on here:

1) It is a troll who is here to stir shit as they are pissed off they have no balls and let the wife force a purchase of a minivan versus a Jeep. We are his passive-aggressive outlet as if he ever raised his voice to his wife she would beat him and lock him in the basement for a week. So coming to tell us how shitty our Jeeps are somehow makes his life bearable.

2) It's someone who really loves his Jeep but had a problem and feels betrayed and therefore you see a more emotional outburst. Like that girlfriend in your early 20's that was your first love and she dumped you... Betrayal hurts.

The reality is the JL has some compromises due to the nature of what it can do off-road.

If you are buying a JL to only drive it on-road you might want to reconsider your choice. Any other new vehicle will drive better on-road than a JL. But it can not do the things a JL can do off-road. Consider even a "luxury" JL like a Sahara can tackle some really challenging trails out of the showroom.

If you want to go off-road and enjoy that lifestyle then the JL is a fantastic choice, as you accept the compromises it brings on-road.

So it all comes down to what you are planning to do with it, and your ability to handle the compromises that comes with it.

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Ordered, GMC Denal Diesel, Triumph Bonnie
Remember Jeeps are THE most owner modified vehicles in the world. Sometimes “upgrades” are done well, sometimes not so much. You really have to dig to understand what is manufacturer onus and what is owners.
Also remember this is forum is often a medium for fixing problems (or venting).

Case in point: look at the Ecodiesel titles and it would scare you to death, but look at the poll (sorry no link) for “Have you had a problem with your Ecodiesel” and the results are 97.5 %No problems and 2.5% Problems.

Have fun and love your Jeep and don’t forget to love yourself. That’s where it all starts

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Remember Jeeps are THE most owner modified vehicles in the world. Sometimes “upgrades” are done well, sometimes not so much. You really have to dig to understand what is manufacturer onus and what is owners.
Also remember this is forum is often a medium for fixing problems (or venting).

Case in point: look at the Ecodiesel titles and it would scare you to death, but look at the poll (sorry no link) for “Have you had a problem with your Ecodiesel” and the results are 97.5 %No problems and 2.5% Problems.

Have fun and love your Jeep and don’t forget to love yourself. That’s where it all starts
That is a great point about modifications and the quality of the job and its effect on the reliability of the vehicle, and not really the vehicles fault.

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Ordered, GMC Denal Diesel, Triumph Bonnie
That is a great point about modifications and the quality of the job and its effect on the reliability of the vehicle, and not really the vehicles fault.
Exactly, it’s an ongoing project always. To me, it the biggest appeal. And I tell you, I have done some super mods that I am proud of AND some that have caused me to come onto forums with the Helllllppp!!! Title. 😂

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm...sorry that doesn't quite wash when someone buys a JL that loses all power driving it off the lot, or loses all power after 500 miles, or someone gets to know his Service Advisor on a first name basis after owning a JL for 2 months.

It is true that most JLs are trouble-free; I own one in fact. But it is also true that the probability of getting a bad one are significantly greater with FCA than most other automakers.

I LOVE my Jeep. But I cannot, in good conscious, assure a Honda owner that everything will be fine owning a Jeep. I don't even believe it myself.

Will it be fun? YES!
Will it be capable? HECK YES!
Will it be satisfying? Gratifying? YES and YEEEES!
Will it be trouble-free? Hmmm...well, it depends what you mean by "touble-free"...

Everything in life is a trade off.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
None.

If you value what Honda offers —i.e., reliability, safety, conformity, anonymity— you will not be a happy Jeep owner.

FWIW - the 2021 Ridgeline looks nicer...

Welcome to the forum, BTW.
I really liked my 2013 Corolla, and my 2020 Camry is outstanding. I was about to buy a Tesla, which I didn't end up liking, the Model 3 is too small and feels cheap inside. Then I thought about BMW but started looking at Tesla model S. but when I tested the Camry it just didn't make sense financially to go with the Tesla, I was immediately sold. And, Toyota is Toyota.

I like the reliability of the Camry, the safety, the conformity, definitely the anonymity. It is a beautifully engineered car. Practical, reliable, comfortable, the perfect sedan. But I can't take my Camry out of the LA concrete jungle.

Tim W.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Dragon Edition
Have you test driven a Jeep yet?

Reliability will likely be better overall with your Honda...that said, I had a bought new 2010 Accord that was a roving pile of shit, burned 1 qt of oil every 1K miles. 4.5 qt capacity, oil changes every 5K miles according to the owner's manual. Do the math. And Honda claimed it was "normal".

No guarantees in life. You roll your dice and take your chances. I'd say drive one. If you like it, buy it and get extended warranty (assuming you plan to keep it stock) through FCA if you're worried about the reliability.

Personally, I would NOT get that top....but that's a personal preference call.
Sorry if this repeats anyone as I didn't read the entire thread.
I have driven my 2018 Mojito Sahara for 2.5 years without problems.
I traded in my 2014 JKU Sahara Dragon Edition, again no problems after 4 years w/o extended warranty. The only reason I have not decided on another new Jeep is...no Mojito 😖 & no Ocean Blue. Considering 4xe. Jeeps have good resale value if not happy OR lease. Try before buy. Small $$ fee for peace of mind.
Good luck and enjoy your new Jeep.
Sponsored