First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
All good comments, thank you! I think it makes better sense to go the Willys XR route because at 70, this will likely be my last car.
May dad has been saying the same thing for 10 years now. :LOL:

He’s 83 and I have no idea what he’ll be driving next time he comes over. The last thing he was looking at was a Gladiator. Had a Tacoma, an F150, a couple forgettable crossovers. Then a Camry hybrid that he doesn’t like. If the new Bronco was on dealer lots, he would have bought one of those.
Sponsored

OP
OP

89speedy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Willys
May dad has been saying the same thing for 10 years now. :LOL:

He’s 83 and I have no idea what he’ll be driving next time he comes over. The last thing he was looking at was a Gladiator. Had a Tacoma, an F150, a couple forgettable crossovers. Then a Camry hybrid that he doesn’t like. If the new Bronco was on dealer lots, he would have bought one of those.
I have had about 3 last cars, 2 last motorcycles...the fun part is the chase.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I have had about 3 last cars, 2 last motorcycles...the fun part is the chase.
I will turn 70 next month and If my Rubi 392 , GC SRT, V10 Dodge PU, and HD street glide aren’ my last vehicles it won’t be my choice. I spent my formative years in NHRA pits and it’s in my blood. The slowest personal car I have ever owned was a Corvette and the thought of driving a glorified golf cart without a soul depresses the F....K out of me, no matter how fast they can make them. Rant over.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I will turn 70 next month and If my Rubi 392 , GC SRT, V10 Dodge PU, and HD street glide aren’ my last vehicles it won’t be my choice. I spent my formative years in NHRA pits and it’s in my blood. The slowest personal car I have ever owned was a Corvette and the thought of driving a glorified golf cart without a soul depresses the F....K out of me, no matter how fast they can make them. Rant over.
You can do some fun stuff to the right golf cart….

ours will do 26 since it’s AC, but there’s a local company that drags DC ones

D2B5B1AF-8C83-40B6-8493-DCDC021B1CF9.jpeg

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Thoughts???? Here's a thought, considering that the XR is mostly for looks except for the gearing part, get the rubicon 4Xe, put 3/4" coil spacers, slap-on a black grill and we all know that the 4Xe's tremendous torque can easily handle 35's... Boumm, best of both worlds for you :)

Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Thoughts???? Here's a thought, considering that the XR is mostly for looks except for the gearing part, get the rubicon 4Xe, put 3/4" coil spacers, slap-on a black grill and we all know that the 4Xe's tremendous torque can easily handle 35's... Boumm, best of both worlds for you :)
I’m not sure I follow. On the Willys, the XR gets you Rubicon JT axles, 4.56 gears, upgraded brakes, and iron knuckles.

Now it’s true that you also get the high-line flares and 35s on bead locks, but calling it “mostly for looks” doesn’t seem quite right.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I’m not sure I follow. On the Willys, the XR gets you Rubicon JT axles, 4.56 gears, upgraded brakes, and iron knuckles.

Now it’s true that you also get the high-line flares and 35s on bead locks, but calling it “mostly for looks” doesn’t seem quite right.
I was comparing to the Rubicon 4Xe which also gets all that. only difference is the tire carrier, little lift and 35's with 4.56. Other than the 4.56, which the 4Xe doesn't need, are bolt-ons.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I was comparing to the Rubicon 4Xe which also gets all that. only difference is the tire carrier, little lift and 35's with 4.56. Other than the 4.56, which the 4Xe doesn't need, are bolt-ons.
Iron knuckles,, the stronger axle, and the bigger brakes are not what most people consider “bolt-on” additions. By that definition, almost anything is bolt-on.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
All good comments, thank you! I think it makes better sense to go the Willys XR route because at 70, this will likely be my last car.
My father said the same at 72, though in his case it was a Tundra 4x4. He said he always wanted a pickup truck and thought it may be he last chance.
Unfortunately, in his case he was correct and only got to drive it for about a year. But.. when I had to take him to the doctors in that truck he would still say how glad he was he got it.

Just goes to show you that life is short. Don't wait until "some day" to enjoy it.

Sponsored

rmenley

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Wait to learn the details on the willys XT. If it has D44s front and rear and a rear locker, I would go Willys.
for what it’s worth, I have the Willy’s XR on order and had the same initial questions -

But I do have the build sheet. The XR does come with the wide track Dana 44’s front and rear with the cast iron knuckles and the head brakes. No lockers but does have the the rear LSD. The fact it did come with the rubicon axles and the 4.56 gears are what sold me.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
for what it’s worth, I have the Willy’s XR on order and had the same initial questions -

But I do have the build sheet. The XR does come with the wide track Dana 44’s front and rear with the cast iron knuckles and the head brakes. No lockers but does have the the rear LSD. The fact it did come with the rubicon axles and the 4.56 gears are what sold me.
Absolutely. If I was in the market for a 4 door, id by the willys XR.
Sponsored