OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Definitely letting the idle settle before putting it into gear seem to make it not happen.
Sponsored

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Dsl. / '16 Ram PW / '14 GC Dsl.
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
Hi its probably nothing but I figured I'd post this anyway to get some feedback. Been noticing when I put my JLU in gear (automatic), there is a slight clunk/shift in the drive shaft are (you can feel and hear it). Back in the day, I know that this meant that either your driveshaft or university joints were wearing out. Hopefully this is just a quirk of the 4wd and all JLs do this. However, I'm throwing this out to the forum to see if anyone else is seeing this.

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Dsl. / '16 Ram PW / '14 GC Dsl.
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
Didn't the JTs had a recall a year ago; where a vendor built a lot of driveshafts, & forgot to put lube in the joints? Hmmm? On the other hand, if you us only Park on a hill; that drive shaft is already preloaded in one direction. You would get a pretty good Pop releasing the preload. My '18, & '20 JLUs don't do it; but I use the P-Brake on inclines, & apply it first.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Like my wife says when I hear a noise... "Turn up the music"

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW GSA, Harley RG, GC Summit Reserve, JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
Is it in the driveshaft or the trans? I know mine seems to be a bit loud if I’m parked on a decline (nose down) and I don’t set the e-brake in neutral before parking. If I set the brake in neutral, then shift to Park, I don’t get any noise when I go to leave if I depress the brake and disengage the e-brake prior to shifting to drive. If this isn’t what you’re hearing/feeling, feel free to ignore.
I have a fairly steep driveway and have been doing this for years with any of my vehicles. Unfortunately, the motorcyles, trailer, and other crap take up the garage space, though I could probably fit the wife's little car in there with a small amount of shuffling.
Sponsored