Noticing a little something in my 15 day old JL

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hi its probably nothing but I figured I'd post this anyway to get some feedback. Been noticing when I put my JLU in gear (automatic), there is a slight clunk/shift in the drive shaft are (you can feel and hear it). Back in the day, I know that this meant that either your driveshaft or university joints were wearing out. Hopefully this is just a quirk of the 4wd and all JLs do this. However, I'm throwing this out to the forum to see if anyone else is seeing this.
Sponsored

FirstF80InSpace

First Name
F80
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 C4S / 2021 JLUR 4xe
I get the same thing. I'm assuming it's normal.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I get it sometimes, not always. I always figured it was a function of where the transmission stopped and how much pressure was on the park pram.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Hi its probably nothing but I figured I'd post this anyway to get some feedback. Been noticing when I put my JLU in gear (automatic), there is a slight clunk/shift in the drive shaft are (you can feel and hear it). Back in the day, I know that this meant that either your driveshaft or university joints were wearing out. Hopefully this is just a quirk of the 4wd and all JLs do this. However, I'm throwing this out to the forum to see if anyone else is seeing this.
It shouldnt clunk. BTW, it's a U-Joint(Universal Joint), not University. I know, Auto Correct sux.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
mine does the same and several JLs Iā€™ve tried, I think they all do this.

Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
If I don't wait for it to idle down a little after starting, or am parked on an incline I get the clunk. Been doing it since day one and I've got about 12k on it now with no issues. Appears to be normal driveline lash. No worries.

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is it in the driveshaft or the trans? I know mine seems to be a bit loud if Iā€™m parked on a decline (nose down) and I donā€™t set the e-brake in neutral before parking. If I set the brake in neutral, then shift to Park, I donā€™t get any noise when I go to leave if I depress the brake and disengage the e-brake prior to shifting to drive. If this isnā€™t what youā€™re hearing/feeling, feel free to ignore.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Yep mine does it too. It doesnt matter Sport, (S), Sahara, Rubi, I've heard they all do it.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
I get it when parked on any kind of slope. My GC does the same, so I think it's normal.

Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I park in the garage (flat surface) and often times in the mornings when i pull out and shift into reverse there is a loud clunk then don't hear it again all day.

ADD: I do sometimes also hear it when i leave work after sitting a long time.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It shouldnt clunk. BTW, it's a U-Joint(Universal Joint), not University. I know, Auto Correct sux.
No.. just stating it as I learned it as a kid. My dad was a country guy from GA... he called it "University Joint"....lol.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Mine clunks sometimes too. I always pull the parking brake too before letting off the brake. Even in my level garage, it's random on whether it clunks or not when I put it in reverse to leave.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Do you all use your handbrake when you park? In all the autos I've driven, and the one electric, letting Park hold the car leads to a hard gear engagement next time I drive.
Good to know I will start testing this out...

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Push harder on the break. Maybe its just rolling back.

Mine does it when it's really cold in winter... maybe something is just frozen.
Sponsored