First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
We just got back from CO about a week ago. Rode trails in Buena Vista and Breckinridge. Had a great time and the views were amazing. This was the first time I had issues with the altitude. Ended out getting one of those spray cans of O2 and that made it better.
Something like this
https://www.cvs.com/shop/boost-oxygen-medium-natural-5-liter-prodid-2330023

I havenā€™t had issues with altitude before, but my wife did the last time we were in Colorado. Happened when she was sitting in the very back of a Suburban driving up the twisty road to Independence Pass. She wonā€™t be wheeling with me, but Iā€™ll probably pick up a couple just in case.
Sponsored

DurangoWino

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Santa Fe and 2023 Rubi XR 4-door
Occupation
Retired
My fam and I just returned from a long anticipated Jeep road trip to Colorado. Just wanted to share some of my experience. We drove 2,500 miles from Austin to Telluride in a 2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited on 35 inch Nitto Trail Grapplers and a 2 inch Mopar lift. We rode the Alpine Loop (Engineer Pass & Cinnamon Pass), Ophir Pass, Imogene Pass, and Last Dollar Pass. It was an incredible trip, the Jeep performed flawlessly, and we met a whole lot of awesome off-roaders along the way. Trails like these in the heart of the San Juan mountains are a big part of the reason why I own a Jeep, and these iconic trails exceeded all of my expectations.

Random thoughts:
* Driving 75-85 mph across open country with a crosswind in a Jeep requires a certain degree of "focus".
* It will take you a good part of your day (approx 7-8 hours) to complete the Alpine Loop. But well worth it.
* When driving Engineer Pass from Animas Forks to Lake City, it will take you 75% of your time to complete the first 25% of the trail. The last 75% goes quickly.
* Do you ever truly "wheel alone" in a Jeep? Unless you're on an isolated trail, there will always be other Jeepers to help you if needed. It's a great community.
* Imogene Pass was temporarily closed at the top until July 12th. If you plan a trip to Colorado before 4th of July, there's a "chance" some trails may still be closed.
* Last Dollar Pass is rated as a very easy trail, but after a heavy rainstorm with hail, the dirt roads turned into mud, and it became one of the most challenging.
* Summer afternoon thunderstorms are very common in the mountains during "monsoon season". Best to hit the trails early for clear blue skies and less traffic.
* That little gas station outside Silverton has the best "air pump" I've ever seen. It filled each of my tires from 22 lbs to 36 lbs in less than a minute!
* Jeeps are awesome. It handled all of these trails with absolutely no issue. And when climbing a shelf road up to 12,800 feet with a thunderstorm moving in, it gives you a lot of confidence to be behind the wheel of a Jeep.

_D850383-2.jpg

_D850461-2.jpg

_D850518.jpg

_D850567.jpg

_D850683-2.jpg
Love your trip and pictures. I live part time in Durango and cannot wait to get my Jeep. What bumper do you have?

Blksmth

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
Occupation
Artist/blacksmith
@Blksmth

George lives in the area, and I'd bet he would know better than me!

George, got insights?
I've only done all of these on a dirtbike which is no comparison. Yes the traffic has grown exponentially over the past decade. Have a great trip.

verapx

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 1982 CJ-8, 2012 Ram 2500 4WD
Something like this
https://www.cvs.com/shop/boost-oxygen-medium-natural-5-liter-prodid-2330023

I havenā€™t had issues with altitude before, but my wife did the last time we were in Colorado. Happened when she was sitting in the very back of a Suburban driving up the twisty road to Independence Pass. She wonā€™t be wheeling with me, but Iā€™ll probably pick up a couple just in case.
Itā€™s called Boost oxygen. The one I got had about 60 breaths in it. Bought it at the City Market. The link wouldnā€™t open for me.

OP
OP
Austin23

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Love your trip and pictures. I live part time in Durango and cannot wait to get my Jeep. What bumper do you have?
Appreciate that. I'm running the stock JL Rubicon steel bumper with a Warn 10S Winch and grill guard added. Durango is an awesome part the country. I envy you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Austin23

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Did the same trails plus Black Bear in a stock Grand Cherokee! Jeeps are a most capable vehicle.
That's awesome. We are looking forward to doing Black Bear next year. How did it compare to Imogene and Engineer?

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Thanks Brad. I trust your opinion having run this before. So if I adjust one one day I would do Engineer to the summit, backtrack to run Poughkeepsie N to S (easier to tougher), then Hurricane, Corkscrew. How many hours of pure wheeling is that, not factoring in stops?

Another day would be to take Million Dollar Hwy down to Ophir, then Ophir through to Hwy 145, take it into Telluride, then Imogene, to Yankee Boy Basin back to Ouray. Time?

Another day for Black Bear. Any other trails that you can recommend that I can run in the same day as Black Bear? About 3 days of dedicated wheeling is all Iā€™m going to get on this trip.
I'm not sure how long it took us to do Yankee Boy / Governor Basin last year, but it was absolutely gorgeous.

Hopefully you'll be able to see the sheep near the top of Engineer Pass. There were thousands of them that kept flowing over the tops of the mountains. It was really cool, but we never saw a shepard.

Two weeks ago it took us 1:20 to do Ophir and then 3:40 to do Imogene. Note that it was raining and we weren't in a hurry. I can't really comment on the scenery since we couldn't see much in those conditions.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I'm not sure how long it took us to do Yankee Boy / Governor Basin last year, but it was absolutely gorgeous.

Hopefully you'll be able to see the sheep near the top of Engineer Pass. There were thousands of them that kept flowing over the tops of the mountains. It was really cool, but we never saw a shepard.

Two weeks ago it took us 1:20 to do Ophir and then 3:40 to do Imogene. Note that it was raining and we weren't in a hurry. I can't really comment on the scenery since we couldn't see much in those conditions.

The sheep were there yesterday, and so was the rain.

The views are best early in the day before the weather rolls in.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Hello all. I do have a question. My wife and I have a ā€˜20 Sahara, we do some very minor off-road. 2.0 with minor mods of Mopar lift and 35 ATs.

We live in Southern IN and next spring is our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We are almost certainly doing a 2 week - 17 day road trip west.

We have never been to West of the Mississippi. We are considering Utah / Colorado/ Wyoming.

Any of the trails above or others doable / recommended? Thanks in advance.

No interest in rock climbing. Some love it, thatā€™s great. Just not my thing.

More just want to enjoy the great outdoors and not get my ride messed up.
Well spring time is not the time to wheel in Colorado. Usually most of the trails are high in elevation and everything is still snowed in until July. Just go to Moab for early spring. There are many trails there and you will not have to worry about the snow or hurting your jeep. Mind you, you can still find snow, but you can easily avoid it.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
My fam and I just returned from a long anticipated Jeep road trip to Colorado. Just wanted to share some of my experience. We drove 2,500 miles from Austin to Telluride in a 2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited on 35 inch Nitto Trail Grapplers and a 2 inch Mopar lift. We rode the Alpine Loop (Engineer Pass & Cinnamon Pass), Ophir Pass, Imogene Pass, and Last Dollar Pass. It was an incredible trip, the Jeep performed flawlessly, and we met a whole lot of awesome off-roaders along the way. Trails like these in the heart of the San Juan mountains are a big part of the reason why I own a Jeep, and these iconic trails exceeded all of my expectations.

Random thoughts:
* Driving 75-85 mph across open country with a crosswind in a Jeep requires a certain degree of "focus".
* It will take you a good part of your day (approx 7-8 hours) to complete the Alpine Loop. But well worth it.
* When driving Engineer Pass from Animas Forks to Lake City, it will take you 75% of your time to complete the first 25% of the trail. The last 75% is mostly easy country road and goes quickly.
* Do you ever truly "wheel alone" in a Jeep? Unless you're on an isolated trail, there will always be other Jeepers to help you if needed. It's a great community.
* Imogene Pass was temporarily closed at the top until July 12th. If you plan a trip to Colorado before 4th of July, there's a "chance" some trails may still be closed.
* Last Dollar Pass is rated as a very easy trail, but after a heavy rainstorm with hail, the dirt roads turned into mud, and it became one of the most challenging.
* Summer afternoon thunderstorms are very common in the mountains during "monsoon season". Best to hit the trails early for clear blue skies and less traffic.
* That little gas station outside Silverton has the best "air pump" I've ever seen. It filled each of my tires from 22 lbs to 36 lbs in less than a minute!
* Jeeps are awesome. It handled all of these trails with absolutely no issue. And when climbing a shelf road up to 12,800 feet with a thunderstorm moving in, it gives you a lot of confidence to be behind the wheel of a Jeep.

_D850383-2.jpg

_D850461-2.jpg

_D850518.jpg

_D850567.jpg

_D850683-2.jpg
Colorado is one of my favorite places to wheel. I just wish the season to be able to wheel was longer. Late June to mid to September is a short window. Love your pics. and nice write up.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I'd go from Ouray, through Mineral Creek (lower Engineer pass trail) up to Engineer Summit, turn back at the summit and back down through that Mineral Creek area to the Poughkeepsie Gulch trail head, up through Poughkeepsie, then hit Hurricane and finish up at Corkscrew. This will be a full day loop and you can get 2 badge trails and see the best of that area. Finishing up at Lake Como then hit the Red Mts at corkscrew is so epic! From Engineer summit to Lake City and back on the Alpine loop isn't really comparable in trail challenge or scenery vs. the sections I listed. Going Poughkeepsie from the Mineral Creek side is the most common route, and the trail starts out easier and gets tougher as you go on, if you go from the Lake Como side you start out in the tough area and gets easier. Something about having that Lake as your finishing reward just makes it that much better!

If you have extra time you could run the entire Alpine loop, but it sounds like you may be pressed.

You may want to run Ophir then back on Imogene for another run, and if you're doing good on time spend some extra time in Yankee basin.

Then on another day run Black Bear, spend some fun time in Telluride, even go up to the ski area and check it out, nice little village up there too, then head back to Ouray through Imogene again or the easier Ophir back home.

Just my 2cs, have a blast!
Good advice right here. These are some long days.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
That's awesome. We are looking forward to doing Black Bear next year. How did it compare to Imogene and Engineer?
Black Bear Pass is an easy trail for the most part. I think it is the big drop offs that give the high rating. If you are not afraid of highs, super easy, if hight bother you. Well you will be tested. Just make sure you completely stop to take pictures. There are places that your jeep will be very close to the edge. A mistake can be very costly on Black Bear pass.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Well spring time is not the time to wheel in Colorado. Usually most of the trails are high in elevation and everything is still snowed in until July. Just go to Moab for early spring. There are many trails there and you will not have to worry about the snow or hurting your jeep. Mind you, you can still find snow, but you can easily avoid it.
We are considering shifting our trip and going late June into July. Still need to plan. Thanks for the input!!!