Sponsored

Not sure where to start so I guess I'll just say... Help?

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
I think the only option now is to get it in and have someone work on it. It's still under warranty, but what's the likelihood of this being covered under warranty if there is mud in the clutch?

If there is mud in the clutch, can it be fixed/cleaned up, or would it likely have to be replaced? I know, hard to tell without eyes on it.

Am I better off having my local shop open it up and see what's going on? He's good, and I trust him. But I would guess this would cause future warranty coverage issues if I have some sort of a problem again. If the dealer shop opens it up and see's work has been done, then they likely wouldn't cover it? Would you guys agree this is a valid concern?

Last question... how should I get it to the shop? Have them tow it? Or pop the clutch and drive it in? It does run fine, I'm just worried about doing further damage by continuing to drive it like that. The dealer I would take it to is 17 miles away.

Also, I have to assume wherever I take it they will be running a scan so I'll need to remove my JL Tazer. Should I unmarry as well>

Thoughts?
I have heard people say that their dealer denied warranty service due to evidence of mud. Maybe different symptoms, I am not sure. A dealer trying to deny warranty service because you drove in the mud is pretty ironic, considering it is what Jeeps are made for...
Sponsored

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
Definitely unmarry the tazer. Also make sure the Security Gateway module is connected otherwise the dealer will not be able use their scan tool on the jeep.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I have heard people say that their dealer denied warranty service due to evidence of mud. Maybe different symptoms, I am not sure. A dealer trying to deny warranty service because you drove in the mud is pretty ironic, considering it is what Jeeps are made for...
physical damage from external sources is clearly not a warrantable repair.

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited rubicon recon
As far as warranty it’s going to depend a lot on the dealer, some scummy ones try to not cover warranty under any circumstance and some cover things they probably shouldn’t because they actually care about the customer

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Get someone to help you with the water hose. Keep putting water in the bellhousing while pumping the clutch and engine off. Good chance that with the crappy clutch on the JL that you will have some damage. It won't be warrantied as it is the result of "improper operation"

Sponsored

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
have you tried pushing harder?

when you do get it running, how well does it shift? No feeling of gnashing gears?

Any funny noises?
Yeah, I can press it the full way down if I press hard enough, but it still says press clutch to start.

I didn't drive it around anywhere once I got it running. My Jeeper neighbor pushed me backwards down my drive way and I popped the clutch as I was entering the street. I just put it in first and drove it back up the drive way. I put it in first and reverse, it was a little difficult to get in gear, but the gears didn't grind or anything.

The first time we got it running there was a bit of a funny noise. Kind of sounded like when you get a rock in your brakes. It sounded like it was coming from where the clutch is. It lasted for maybe 5 seconds and faded away and never returned.

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely unmarry the tazer. Also make sure the Security Gateway module is connected otherwise the dealer will not be able use their scan tool on the jeep.
Will do. Thanks for confirming!!

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get someone to help you with the water hose. Keep putting water in the bellhousing while pumping the clutch and engine off. Good chance that with the crappy clutch on the JL that you will have some damage. It won't be warrantied as it is the result of "improper operation"
I did this for hours on Sunday, and made no real difference.

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on all of this that is going on with my clutch would you guys think worst case scenario is I need a new clutch?

I did some googling and it looks like that would be about $1500 to $1700?

Does that sound about right?

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
A 3.6 that had a real bad day. 5 years with no oil changes, radiator started leaking at some point during that period.
jesus fucking christ

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Based on all of this that is going on with my clutch would you guys think worst case scenario is I need a new clutch?

I did some googling and it looks like that would be about $1500 to $1700?

Does that sound about right?
yes

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
Based on the pictures of the Jeep it's not just from driving through mud puddles, but rather blasting through them and spraying mud and water everywhere. I know it can be fun but hitting mud at high speed and throwing up a big splash but that is what causes the type of problems you are having.
You most likely got mud and grit up in the clutch which is physically blocking it from fully disengaging. Seen it many times over my years of off-roading.
How...how does stuff get into the bell housing? Is it not sealed? I would have imagined it's sealed with like an inspection panel or something?

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
not sealed, it needs to breathe
I genuinely never knew, but I suppose it makes sense for heat dissipation.
I've really only owned FWD manuals or manuals where the clutch is in the engine bay.

Countryswiss

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
This happened to me too. Dealer replaced slave cylinder and bearing under warranty and issue was solved. I hit mud going way too fast and flooded my bell housing
Sponsored