Sponsored

Not Shutting Down Properly After Transmission Leak

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL, build date 12/12/17; 2015 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic Softail
I had a transmission leak within the first 100 miles of delivery. Needless to say, I was not happy. I tried to get a replacement vehicle, but was unsuccessful. The dealership insisted it would only repair and extend my bumper-to-bumper warranty. Since I got the vehicle back, on two separate occasions when I have put the vehicle in Park and turned it off, it has gone into Accessory mode instead of turning off. The only reason I noticed this was because the radio didn't turn off when I was getting out of the vehicle. I sure don't want to wake up to a dead battery...

I'm concerned that this is related to the transmission issues (I've read that if the vehicle is not in Park and the stop button is pushed, it goes into ACC). Has anyone else dealt with this? Any advice?
Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
8180b38abb56986a91e58dacadb7155d865a718fe4794f02ee9ac0d23d6e6246.jpg

Those transmissions are supposed to be sealed for life! LIFE!

Seriously though, where is it leaking from? Are you able to take any pics?

And why are they extending the warranty when it's still under manufacturer warranty?

OP
OP

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL, build date 12/12/17; 2015 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic Softail
8180b38abb56986a91e58dacadb7155d865a718fe4794f02ee9ac0d23d6e6246.jpg

Those transmissions are supposed to be sealed for life! LIFE!

Seriously though, where is it leaking from? Are you able to take any pics?

And why are they extending the warranty when it's still under manufacturer warranty?
IMG_2360.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG

OP
OP

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The leak was from the transmission pan seal - they say it "failed". I say it dumped transmission fluid all over my parking area and everywhere else I traveled. They extended the warranty because I was demanding that they give me a new vehicle since it was pretty obvious that my transmission was DOA. I didn't find this acceptable, but they refused to give me a new Jeep with a sound transmission. Now I'm concerned that the ignition is having issues because of the transmission issues...

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Is that fluid pan painted metal? I thought they were plastic. I can't really see where the leak is coming from though.

OP
OP

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that fluid pan painted metal? I thought they were plastic. I can't really see where the leak is coming from though.
Yes, the fluid pan is painted metal. In this instance, it was painted metal soaked wtih transmission fluid, giving it a higher sheen. The leak was from the seal between the transmission and the pan. You can see the staining on the transmission from the fluid. The frame is covered wtih fluid about ready to drop as well. This was a substantial leak. Service department never did tell me how much fluid was left in the transmission when they repaired it...
IMG_2363.JPG

mde8965

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack; 2016 BMW X3
Not sure how the trans issue relates to the push button issue. When you turned off the vehicle sometimes if your foot is on the brake the car might go to ACC mode instead of OFF. Happens on my Challenger which has basically the same exact system.

When you park the Jeep and put the vehicle in park make sure it shows on P in the EVIC. Take your foot off the brake and if vehicle does not move, shut it off. If it still happens from time to time it’s unrelated. My Challenger will still play the radio when I shut it off until I open the door. It was designed that way. Does not mean it’s in ACC unless radio stays on after the door is open

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Yes, the fluid pan is painted metal. In this instance, it was painted metal soaked wtih transmission fluid, giving it a higher sheen. The leak was from the seal between the transmission and the pan. You can see the staining on the transmission from the fluid. The frame is covered wtih fluid about ready to drop as well. This was a substantial leak. Service department never did tell me how much fluid was left in the transmission when they repaired it...
IMG_2363.JPG
Okay, I see the staining but I was just confused that it seems to have been leaking "upwards" against gravity...is that a fill bolt above the pan there? I hope it's not leaking from there too.

I thought they were using plastic pans on other vehicles with this same transmission, but maybe I was mistaken.

OP
OP

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure how the trans issue relates to the push button issue. When you turned off the vehicle sometimes if your foot is on the brake the car might go to ACC mode instead of OFF. Happens on my Challenger which has basically the same exact system.

When you park the Jeep and put the vehicle in park make sure it shows on P in the EVIC. Take your foot off the brake and if vehicle does not move, shut it off. If it still happens from time to time it’s unrelated. My Challenger will still play the radio when I shut it off until I open the door. It was designed that way. Does not mean it’s in ACC unless radio stays on after the door is open
I'm wondering if the transmission is fully engaging in Park. If not, I question whether it might then go into ACC mode when shut off, but I don't know this to be a fact. They may be unrelated problems, which in some ways I would find even more disconcerting.

Yes, I understand that the radio stays on until you open the car door (or it times out if you remain in the car after it's turned off). In both of these instances, however, the radio stayed on after I opened the door. I looked at the dash and it indicated it had gone into ACC mode. That was not my intention or desire. I'm obviously going to have to check to make sure it's all the way in Park and Off before leaving the vehicle, but what a PITA. I'd like to trust that when I turn it off, it's off.

mde8965

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack; 2016 BMW X3
I'm wondering if the transmission is fully engaging in Park. If not, I question whether it might then go into ACC mode when shut off, but I don't know this to be a fact. They may be unrelated problems, which in some ways I would find even more disconcerting.

Yes, I understand that the radio stays on until you open the car door (or it times out if you remain in the car after it's turned off). In both of these instances, however, the radio stayed on after I opened the door. I looked at the dash and it indicated it had gone into ACC mode. That was not my intention or desire. I'm obviously going to have to check to make sure it's all the way in Park and Off before leaving the vehicle, but what a PITA. I'd like to trust that when I turn it off, it's off.
Sounds like we are thinking the same way. The point of my post was just to make sure that the vehicle was going into park. It might be that the transmission is going in to park but somehow the vehicle doesn’t recognize it as being in park because something is either disconnected or whatever. I definitely understand your concern if it is going into ACC and the radio stays on when the door opens. Again this has happened a couple of times with my challenger as well. But it does Not happen regularly at all. Good luck. Sorry about all these problems you’re having.

OP
OP

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like we are thinking the same way. The point of my post was just to make sure that the vehicle was going into park. It might be that the transmission is going in to park but somehow the vehicle doesn’t recognize it as being in park because something is either disconnected or whatever. I definitely understand your concern if it is going into ACC and the radio stays on when the door opens. Again this has happened a couple of times with my challenger as well. But it does Not happen regularly at all. Good luck. Sorry about all these problems you’re having.
Thanks. I'm really going to lose it if I go out ot my vehicle, attempt to start it, and have a dead battery one of these days. I'm regretting trading my JK these days. I never had a problem with it and hoped for the same reliability with the JL.

OP
OP

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, I see the staining but I was just confused that it seems to have been leaking "upwards" against gravity...is that a fill bolt above the pan there? I hope it's not leaking from there too.

I thought they were using plastic pans on other vehicles with this same transmission, but maybe I was mistaken.
Some of the undercarrriage mess is from blowback of the transmission fluid while I was driving. I didn't notice the leak immediately. I never had a new vehicle I needed to look under before - I usually admire the shines new good looks.

If it's leaking from anywhere else, I'll know soon enough. It's been raining this weekend and I don't have a garage, so I can't tell without crawling under her and becoming a muddy mess. I'll know more today.
Sponsored